Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hey @bernhard - sorry for the recent silence. I am back in the office this week, but triaging work stuff first. Will try to take a good look at your other suggestions as soon as I can.

Regarding disabling Tracy on certain pages, that is what the "No debug bar in selected templates" setting is for. It seems to work fine here - is it not working for you?

That said, I can also see having a tracy=0 get variable as a useful addition for sure. I'll add that soon. 

Regarding the performance issue - could you narrow down which panel is the cause? I am constantly on the lookout for ways to improve performance, so it would be helpful if I could reproduce to see if something can be improved.

Actually thinking about this a little more - maybe the disabler should be turned into a panel with more options:

1) Disable Tracy all pages

2) Disable Tracy this page

And have Once and Sticky buttons to determine how long it's disabled for.

How does this sound compared to the get variable approach?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian said:

How does this sound compared to the get variable approach?

Of course this sounds better, but I'd also be happy with the get variable. Disable tracy on some templates does not work in my case because I'm developing process modules. So maybe the "disable tracy for selected templates" option could also be moved to this panel and away from the module settings (they are getting more and more complex ? ).

So it totally depends on you and your spare time and if you think you'd also benefit from such a feature. Again: In my case the get var would be sufficient and I guess this would be a lot easier to implement.

Thanks and welcome back ?

• Like 2

Hi, in a new PW install after install the Tracy module and enable the "Development" mode I get strange responses from the site:

- On the frontend after clicking on a link the site stays processing and after a while gives a 404 page
- On the admin the site stays processing for a while and is slow.

I need to select the "Production" mode for the site to able to work. This is strange, the module never had this behaviour.

The installation is using:

- Processwire 3.0.98
- Tracy Debugger v4.10.22

Right now I do not know if there a module conflict or configuration that is making this behaviour.

Thank you

• Like 1

Hi @vmo - sorry I don't have any idea why you'd be getting a 404. Can you try unchecking all panels via the Panel Selector and see if that helps. Also, do older versions of Tracy work any better?

Is this a local or server install? What OS are you running? Apache or Nginx?

Could you try another install on the same server?

Could you try the Module Disabler panel to disable all other modules to see if there is a conflict?

Hi, @adrian - the installation is on a cpanel with Apache. The installation is a basic one with a few fields and templates (with no page) and with no modifications done to the original template files.
I copied the installation with the issue to another sub-domain and did the following actions:

- Disabled all extra site modules
- Removed all the custom templates and fields
- Only enabled the Tracy module in DEVELOPMENT mode (with no errors and 404 pages)
- With the Tracy in DEVELOPMENT mode: I reenabled all the others extra site modules one by one and tested for any errors, delays or 404 pages
- After reenabled all the modules no errors, delays or 404 pages were detected.
- Recreated the custom templates
- Recreated the custom fields

After this actions there wasn't datect any issue, but... after added a repeater field to the "home" template the same issue appeared
and started again to receive 404 pages and delayed page processing on the admin.

I did the following steps to try understand if there was any issue on the repeater field:

On the "home" template:
- Removed the repeater field from the "home" template
- After field was removed, No 404 errors were detected navigating the site
- Added again the repeater field to the "home" template and the same issue started
- Removed the field

On the "basic-page" template:
- Added the field to the "basic-page" template
- After added the repeater field to the "basic-page" template, no 404 errors were detected navigating in the site

Any ideia?
I can make a zip of the installation and send it to you, if it helps.

• Like 1

Hi @vmo - thanks for the hard work narrowing it down to repeaters on the homepage. I have no idea why though at this point. I think the one thing you missed in your debugging was unchecking all the debugbar panels. It would be helpful to know if that helps. If it does, try to narrow it down it a particular panel - most likely the RequestInfo panel. If that doesn't help, then sure send me the zip - I might not have time to look for a little while though.

• Like 1

Hi @adrian - After disabled the "RequestInfo panel" on the frontend panels stop receiving the 404 errors

and after disabled the "RequestInfo panel" on the backend panels the admin navigation and save is normal, does not delay.

Any next steps?

Thank you

Edited by vmo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, vmo said:

Any next steps?

I guess it's a matter of figuring out what part of that panel is causing the problem. It will most likely be the "Field List & Values" section. So you could try disabling that section only in the module config settings. If everything is still fine with the panel enabled, but that section disabled, then we need to figure out what bit of code in that section is causing the problem. Here's the code for that section: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/2689b8ccc57bd5776a21cf6413a400c68d71a555/panels/RequestInfoPanel.php#L450-L473

In particular I would recommend looking through the getFieldArray() method that it calls. 

If you feel up to investigating the cause, that would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I will need to get some more details about that repeater field, because I have many sites with lots of repeater fields and haven't noticed a problem, so would need to be able to reproduce to debug.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hi @adrian - thank you for the hints to research the issue.

I just disabled the "Fields Object" on the Request Info Panel > Panel sections and the issue of the 404 does not appear.

I will take time to debug it but right now I need to put everything working for tomorrow and I will give feedback asap.

Thank you, all the best

• Like 1

Just now, vmo said:

I just disabled the "Fields Object" on the Request Info Panel > Panel sections and the issue of the 404 does not appear.

Good to know - I haven't enabled that section in my RequestInfo panel in forever - I guess that's why I am not seeing the issue with repeater fields.

Thanks for narrowing it down.

1 minute ago, adrian said:

Good to know - I haven't enabled that section in my RequestInfo panel in forever - I guess that's why I am not seeing the issue with repeater fields.

Thanks for narrowing it down.

Thanks, that is really good to know, I will keep it disabled. Done for now. Will try to debug it asap.

All the best

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Robin S - I have been experiencing this again too. I though it was solved in some Tracy core updates, but apparently not ?

I tend to agree with you that there really isn't a need to move the bar, so I think a fixed option is probably a good idea, so I have added it in the latest version - the option is called: "Fixed Position". You might need a hard reload after changing this to see the effects.

This version also includes some more MySQL info in the Diagnostics panel. It's all about the current number of connections etc:

image.thumb.png.73e43c446e09d878b28df609cc772060.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

HI @pandaman - I really don't have any idea why it wouldn't be showing up. I use it on Multilanguage installs regularly. Does it show on the backend, or not at all?

Are you on a local dev setup? If not, make sure that Force Superuser into Development mode is checked, or force the Output Mode to Development.

Are there any JS errors in the browser dev console?

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 2:23 PM, netcarver said:

Hi @adrian

A feature request for your consideration: please could you apply the lovely code editor to the custom PHP textarea in the module settings? Would make editing custom PHP much easier.

Many thanks for your consideration!
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have added it to the just released version. Please let me know if you have any issues with it.

PS - I am curious what you are using this panel for - I haven't had much feedback on it thus far.

• Like 2

Glad you found the "Version's List" functionality - pretty handy isn't it ? Let me know if you think of any other info that should be added to it.

Sorry about the code saving bug - hope you didn't lose too much! It is fixed in the latest commit.

• Like 1

@adrian Thanks, that's fixed it, and nothing lost.

While you have this feature in your working memory, another request: could you have the config scroll to the custom PHP field if it were changed on the last save? That would allow a smoother flow of iterations using the field, and shouldn't interfere with anyone else's use of the config area. That would be the icing on the cake, but I'm totally happy with the cake the way it is at the moment ?

---

With regard to the Version List functionality, if anything, I think a "lite" version for initial reporting of just the PW, PHP, Webserver & MySQL versions as a markdown table would be useful. One thing that's struck me reading through the issues is that clarity matters. I really like the comprehensive data you've made available with the existing feature - but I completely missed the data, tucked away at the bottom of a couple of issues. It was only when I found the feature in Tracy that I had a lightbulb moment and realised that's where those three lines in the issue reports came from. (I like to follow the KISBIS rule where possible: Keep It Simple, Because I'm Stupid)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, netcarver said:

While you have this feature in your working memory, another request: could you have the config scroll to the custom PHP field if it were changed on the last save? That would allow a smoother flow of iterations using the field, and shouldn't interfere with anyone else's use of the config area.

Check out the latest version - I think it works pretty nicely!

1 hour ago, netcarver said:

With regard to the Version List functionality, if anything, I think a "lite" version for initial reporting of just the PW, PHP, Webserver & MySQL versions as a markdown table would be useful.

Happy to implement, but not sure the best interface - are you thinking about maybe splitting the the button into two: 

1) Copy Simple for Github

2) Copy Detailed for Github

Or do you have other ideas?

• Like 1

@adrian Fantastic! Thank-you, that works great.

Regarding the "Lite" reporting button idea; I'd gather a few more opinions on this before doing anything.

For example, another alternative is to just keep the existing button but make the basics a non-collapsed table with all the additional details in the collapsed sections following it. That would make the basics stand out pretty well in the issue reports.

• Like 2

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic