Tracy Debugger

adrian

Thanks @bernhard and @Robin S - a little more detail on PW's implementation of __debugInfo() is here: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-core-updates-2.5.27/#php-5.6-and-debuginfo and also point "8" from https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-2.6-rc1-2.5.29-and-more/#processwire-and-phps-interactive-mode

Robin, you are correct that the output will depend on what the developer of the class makes available.

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

i guess dumping $page->template would show the correct classname?

You end up with something like this

image.png.f31b1efc45c12900e1ab5784d8d2d740.png

image.png.07a73aa31eed85746970127560eff2e2.png

which I think in general is much more helpful than the default:

image.png.a1d15cc974a0338b0bcca4caa29ef53d.png

I think in general Ryan has done a great job with what is returned and I think for most Tracy users most of the time, this will be preferable to the full object.

I think the best option might be to make it on by default, but you can either override this in the config settings globally, or you could pass: debugInfo => false in the d() or bd() call's $options parameter if you want the full object.

Sound ok?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adrian said:

I think the best option might be to make it on by default, but you can either override this in the config settings globally, or you could pass: debugInfo => false in the d() or bd() call's $options parameter if you want the full object.

Sound ok?

Yep, sounds good.

• Like 2

Ok, dumping with the __debugInfo() magic method is now the default. You can disable this in the config settings if you don't like it and you can override for a specific dump with something like this:

d($page, array('debugInfo' => false)); 

Hope you guys find this useful!

• Like 2

Hi @adrian,

I was doing some testing with a textformatter module and was wondering why the formatValue() method was firing so often, even when my template file does not get the field with the textformatter applied. I traced it back to the Request Info panel - when this panel is active the textformatter formatValue() method fires four times (not including any usages of the field in the template file). I see that the panel shows the value of each field in the template in the "Field List & Values" section, but I would have thought this would only account for one firing. Just wondering if something in that panel is getting the field values more often than necessary and could be optimised perhaps?

• Like 2

Hi @Robin S - I can't seem to reproduce this - the Request Info panel appears to be only adding one call. I am using the HannaCode textformatter and adding: bd($field->name); to the first line of the formatValue() method and with the RequestInfo panel open I get two dumps, and with it closed I get one.

Could you share the module you are working on, or perhaps test with Hanna code, and maybe with a different field/template combo to see if there is something more specific required to reproduce?

PS - Are you running the latest version of Tracy?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adrian said:

PS - Are you running the latest version of Tracy?

I was running quite a recent version (only a few weeks old) but not the very latest. Upgrading to the latest has reduced the number of times the textformatter is called, going from four times down to two times. This is not including any field usage in the template file (i.e. I don't get the field value in my template file, so without the Request Info panel active the textformatter isn't called at all).

So it's quite an improvement, but still being called one time more often than I would expect.

This is the textformatter I'm using for testing:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

class TextformatterTest extends Textformatter implements Module {

public static function getModuleInfo() {
        return array(
            'title' => 'Textformatter Test',
            'version' => '1',
            'summary' => 'Testing',
        );
    }

public function formatValue(Page $page, Field $field, &$value) {
        bd('formatValue');
    }

}

The rest of the setup is basically a clean installation of the blank profile.

I can definitely live with it as is, but I'll PM you login details for the test site in case you're interested in investigating.

• Like 1

The issue that @Robin S was having has been fixed in the latest version - seems like I wasn't seeing it because I am running PHP 7.2, but didn't investigate that too thoroughly.

Thanks again Robin for reporting this and for access to test and diagnose it!

• Like 2

Hi Adrian - quick question, i'm getting this warning every day, just wondering if it could be something in my code, or what i should look for, as it is referencing TD.php, but not any source, maybe a misconfiguration of the module..

PHP Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in ...site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/includes/TD.php:89

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Macrura said:

Hi Adrian - quick question, i'm getting this warning every day, just wondering if it could be something in my code, or what i should look for, as it is referencing TD.php, but not any source, maybe a misconfiguration of the module..

PHP Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in ...site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/includes/TD.php:89

What version of Tracy are you running?

When you say "but not any source" do you mean that lime 89 is blank? That's what I am seeing on the latest version.

Can you provide the d() or bd() call that is triggering the warning?

>What version of Tracy are you running?

>When you say "but not any source" do you mean that lime 89 is blank? That's what I am seeing on the latest version.

the error doesn't show any source file (template or module), just the error i posted.

these are coming in through email;

i'm not d() or bd(), at least as far as i know there none of those actively in any template or module files

• Like 1

Thanks @Macrura - knowing the version number helped me track it down. It only happens in Production mode. I have a fix in place. I am working on some other updates at the moment, so I'll release this fix with those a little later today.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

@Macrura - the fix is available in the latest version.

The other major update to this version is support for resizable panels - there is now a resize handle at the bottom right of each panel so you can manually size to suit your needs. This is especially useful when you have one of the larger panels open (like the Field List & Values section of the Request Info panel) and it's taking up the entire screen and you want to compare values in the panel with what is on the page - now you can manually resize to fit where you want.

Also, the Tracy core has started refactoring lots of code to use ES6, so those changes are being incorporated as well.

Let me know if you come across any issues with this new version!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adrian said:

The other major update to this version is support for resizable panels - there is now a resize handle at the bottom right of each panel so you can manually size to suit your needs.

I'm loving this! On the Console and Snippets panel it seems that only vertical resizing is possible - horizontal resizing there would be handy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robin S said:

On the Console and Snippets panel it seems that only vertical resizing is possible - horizontal resizing there would be handy.

I knew someone would say this :)

I'll look into it - it's disabled at the moment because I had initial issues with the snippets section on the right overlapping with the code/results on the left. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but was short on time. If you're bored ;)

Actually, what those both really need is a way to collapse that right sidebar - at least the Console panel does - maybe not the SnippetRunner?

1 hour ago, adrian said:

it's disabled at the moment because I had initial issues with the snippets section on the right overlapping with the code/results on the left. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but was short on time. If you're bored

I took a quick look at it. The gist of it is that you would set the width of #tracyConsoleContainer with...

width: calc(100% - 380px) !important;

...where 380px is whatever the width of #tracySnippetsContainer should be - there is something not quite right there currently, because the snippets container gets a width from an inline style that is narrower than its contents (which overflow).

Also this rule...

#tracy-debug fieldset {
    all: initial !important;

...would need to be overridden for the console/snippets panels with...

width:100% !important;

1 hour ago, adrian said:

Actually, what those both really need is a way to collapse that right sidebar - at least the Console panel does - maybe not the SnippetRunner?

I don't mind it being there permanently myself. I have a wide enough screen that the Ace window is never so narrow that I'd want extra width by collapsing the sidebar. But maybe some people who work on smaller screens would appreciate that.

• Like 2

Thanks @Robin S - I have made lots of tweaks to the css for both the Console and SnippetRunner panels and I think they are both much improved and of course now support width resizing. I have also set the default widths to 1200px, rather than full width which I think will be much nicer in general.

Anyway, please take a look and let me know what you think.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update @adrian - having these panels resizeable is a useful feature.

I noticed some "twitching" in the console panel - I think due to the scrollbar appearing and disappearing. Maybe this could be avoided with an overflow rule?

resize2.gif.1945f6067df489246e9f156a69b7ca27.gif

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robin S said:

I noticed some "twitching" in the console panel - I think due to the scrollbar appearing and disappearing.

Interesting - I had been testing on the frontend of my site and hadn't seen this. I just checked on the backend and could reproduce it.

Can you please try the latest version and let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin S said:

Perfect now, thanks.

Great!

One thing that's bugged me for a while now is how those back/forward history buttons look on Windows.

This is what they look like on a Mac:

image.png.2e448eb0575c0a71287754fe9b750251.png

Do you by chance now of a UTF8 arrow that looks ok on both OSes?

53 minutes ago, adrian said:

Do you by chance now of a UTF8 arrow that looks ok on both OSes?

It's not so much an issue of which UTF glyph as which font is used to render the glyph. Each font designer is free to interpret each glyph (e.g. the letter "y", a "left arrow") any way they like, so changing to a different glyph wouldn't necessarily solve the issue.

To get the same appearance on all devices you'll need to specify a font that will be available on all devices. Currently the font family is just "sans-serif", which in Windows 10 is Segoe UI, and no doubt something different in MacOS, Android, etc. So you could try and find a font that is included in the system fonts on all OSs. Or you could use the FontAwesome version that is bundled with PW. Or you could include a different webfont as part of Tracy Debugger, e.g. Material Icons. Or you could create your own custom symbol font that just contains the glyphs used in the module, using Fontastic or similar. Or you could use individual SVG icons for all buttons. Heaps of options. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robin S said:

It's not so much an issue of which UTF glyph as which font is used to render the glyph

Yes of course - not sure why that didn't occur to me :)

I have replaced those arrows with FA icons for now. I am loading FA for the PW Info panel anyway.

FYI - I am a huge SVG fan, but I thought for simple icons like this UTF8 icons would be simpler. Maybe I'll revamp this at some point, but this will do for now.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

Just upgraded to the latest version and noticed an error in the "Request Info" panel:

ErrorException: Trying to get property of non-object in /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/RequestInfoPanel.php:643
Stack trace:
#0 /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/RequestInfoPanel.php(643): Tracy\Bar->Tracy\{closure}(8, 'Trying to get p...', '/Users/glenn/we...', 643, Array)
#1 /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/panels/RequestInfoPanel.php(458): RequestInfoPanel->getFieldArray(Object(ProcessWire\Page), Object(ProcessWire\Field))
#2 /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(159): RequestInfoPanel->getPanel()
#3 /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(108): Tracy\Bar->renderPanels()
#4 /Users/glenn/websites/mysite/wwwroot/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Debugger.php(293): Tracy\Bar->render()
#5 [internal function]: Tracy\Debugger::shutdownHandler()
#6 {main}

I tried refreshing the modules but it didn't make any difference.

ProcessWire: 3.0.98
PHP: 7.1.12
Webserver: Apache/2.4.29 (Unix) 
MySQL: 5.7.10-log

• Like 1

Hi @gmclelland - sorry about that - I tried to cleanup that code a few versions ago - looks like you've come across something I haven't accounted for. I am trying to replicate here, but no luck so far. I feel like it might be related to the File/Image Details > Formatted Value setting, but no luck yet. Could you perhaps send me a json export of the field in question and let me know if there are any files/images uploaded to it, and anything else that might be relevant please?

hey @adrian would it be hard to implement a fullscreen feature for the console panel? or maybe all panels? the resize is great, but a fullscreen would even be greater :) no priority at all, but if it is easy I would highly appreciate this feature :)

ps: sometimes i have z-issues with the panel:

5acdde1c8e2ff_2018-04-1111_48_51-EditPage_5aca2e88d3d38aggrid_to.png.7d3bf8c31a2f2b3db9a56cbe576d38ef.png

• Like 1

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic