Tracy Debugger

adrian

I have latest PW+Tracy installed and when I go to edit a page in the admin I randomly get these notifications

404 occurred: /wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldFile/InputfieldFile.css.map
 404 occurred: /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageTabs.css.map

I looked in those folders and there are no map files, not sure why PW is trying to find them or why they would be missing.

This seems occur when I use the "inspector" in the browser to look at elements.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:20 PM, Robin S said:

I'm seeing an issue in the Console panel where the indentation (tabs) of saved snippets gets lost when the page is reloaded.

Thanks @Robin S - I am seeing it too - the solution however I am not seeing :) I'll try to take another look tomorrow.

14 hours ago, neosin said:

I looked in those folders and there are no map files, not sure why PW is trying to find them or why they would be missing.

Hi @neosin - this is not related to Tracy. Have a read: 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:20 PM, Robin S said:

I'm seeing an issue in the Console panel where the indentation (tabs) of saved snippets gets lost when the page is reloaded.

Hey Robin - sorry for the delay on this, but it should now be fixed - please let me know if it works for you.

1 hour ago, adrian said:

Hey Robin - sorry for the delay on this, but it should now be fixed - please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks. Did you push the changes to GitHub? It's still showing 4.9.31 which is the version I was seeing the issue with.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Thanks. Did you push the changes to GitHub? It's still showing 4.9.31 which is the version I was seeing the issue with.

Oops - sorry, I committed the tag and release for 4.9.32 but not the actual code :)

Try again now!

• Like 1

hey @adrian

I'm working on my DataTables module (that might get renamed to RockGrid btw because I'm experimenting with another grid software :) ) and have 30k sample data pages (basic-page with only title field). When I open such a page in the admin, the page load takes very long (around 10s). I looked at the network tab and saw that the request for initial page load (?id=1017) loads 5.7MB of data.

Cookie: pagelist_open=JSON%5B%221-0%22%2C%221016-0%22%2C%221017-0%22%2C%227-0%22%5D;
wire=...;
wire_challenge=...;
tracyCodeError=ERROR%3A+Maximum+execution+time+of+120+seconds+exceeded+on+line%3A+454+in+D%3A%5Claragon%5Cwww%5Caggrid1%5Cwire%5Ccore%5CWireDatabasePDO.php

When i switch off tracy the page load is instant.

The code for the debug bar is huge:

5abe34353a933_2018-03-3014_56_46-view-source_www.aggrid1.to_admin_page_edit__id1017.thumb.png.d78afa1bf702eb5736d06d114ce4a018.png

Any ideas which feature of the panel is causing this behaviour?

Thanks in advance, no hurry at all with this one :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bernhard said:

Any ideas which feature of the panel is causing this behaviour?

My guess is that it's the Field List & Values section of the Request Info panel. Can you try disabling just that section and let me know?

42 minutes ago, adrian said:

My guess is that it's the Field List & Values section of the Request Info panel. Can you try disabling just that section and let me know?

good guess ;)

5abe551804b24_2018-03-3017_17_17-EditPage_5abe0ddaa8d6daggrid1_to.png.3c13c58e1b64ae3c7deb0718ebe66357.png5abe551908bbb_2018-03-3017_16_50-EditPage_5abe0ddaa8d6daggrid1_to.png.456ea78e60d9bc8e5ae95dac71894c36.png

Debug Mode is also very slow, but only if Request Info is ON. If Request Info is OFF the Debug Mode is 10ms (first screenshot)

• Like 1

I don't see any suspicious information in the panel. Only the HTML code of the debug bar is totally bloated. I think the simplest is to test it on your own. I'm running a fresh dev installation with blank profile and tracy v4.9.33

I've just created a page "data" under /home and added 30k pages with the tracy console:

for($i=0; $i<30000; $i++) {
    $p = new Page();
    $p->template = 'basic-page';
    $p->parent = $pages->get('/data');
    $p->title = uniqid();
    $p->save();
}

Then when I open one of those pages in edit mode the tracy bar takes 10s to load..

• Like 1

Hm, I have "pages loaded: 23"

$config->debug = true/false does not make any difference. Only difference is when I hit the "Disable Tracy" Button in the Debug Bar it instantly becomes fast as usual. I can send you a site profile, maybe that helps :)

• Like 1

Hey @bernhard - sorry for the delay on this - had family in town.

Please try the latest version - it prevents all siblings from being loaded by the prev/next links in the Request Info panel (which was a bug I hadn't noticed). This should actually make a huge different to anyone using Tracy on a page with a lot of siblings - can't believe I didn't come across this till now - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

One caveat - if you are running AOS with the "Add links to edit previous and next pages" feature enabled you might still have problems, although it shouldn't affect page load speed. I have made a note here: 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, adrian said:

Please try the latest version - it prevents all siblings from being loaded by the prev/next links in the Request Info panel (which was a bug I hadn't noticed). This should actually make a huge different to anyone using Tracy on a page with a lot of siblings - can't believe I didn't come across this till now - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thanks @adrian, that solves the issue and my pw admin is lightning fast again :) I've experienced slower loading with tracy several times, but I was not able to identify when it occured. Maybe this was the reason, I'll keep an eye.

BTW: Where do I find the prev/next links?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bernhard said:

Thanks @adrian, that solves the issue and my pw admin is lightning fast again :) I've experienced slower loading with tracy several times, but I was not able to identify when it occured. Maybe this was the reason, I'll keep an eye.

Glad to hear!

3 hours ago, bernhard said:

BTW: Where do I find the prev/next links?

In the Request Info Panel. The name is a View link and the ID is an Edit link.

image.png.c6efe82a531d35fdc19f83611005eddc.png

12 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Thx adrian! Didn't use the request info panel so far, but I'll start using it :)

Don't forget to also take a look at it when editing a field, template, or module - shows all the settings for those in addition to the normal sections. Can be very handy for certain dev needs.

• Like 2

@bernhard - could you please check the latest version for me - I left out "include=all" for the prev/next links in the last commit. Everything still seems fast here, but would appreciate it if you could confirm it's ok at your end too please?

• Like 1

Hi everyone - looking for some feedback. The Tracy core has just introduced an option to dump objects using the __debugInfo() magic method which PW also supports.

It changes this:

image.png.ba3041ba468af6e569ded6068673daec.png

to:

image.png.bfb0aa40445b6cd37b4bb37ac1a068e6.png

What I am wondering is whether to make using __debugInfo() the default or not. And also wondering how often you guys might want to switch between one vs the other - in other words, will it be ok as a config setting, or do you think it's something that should be easier to change on-the-fly?

Thanks for any input.

• Like 1

Would you mind adding some additional information to your question? What is the difference between the two? What would be the pros/cons?

I use dumping a lot but I use only very basic features I guess. Most of the information in the first screencap does not seem to be very helpful to me (at least most of the time, or at least not yet). The second looks cleaner to me, but what I do not like is that "template" is a string and not a ProcessWire\Template as shown in the first pic (though that's a tiny detail and i guess dumping $page->template would show the correct classname?).

[2min later] To me, the second looks cleaner and more helpful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adrian said:

What I am wondering is whether to make using __debugInfo() the default or not.

You'll know more about this than me, but my understanding is that what is available in a dump from __debugInfo() depends on what the developer of the class makes available in the method. So if that method in a class was quite limited in what it made available (either intentionally or not intentionally) then the Tracy user potentially misses out on a lot of relevant information.

To give a silly example, if I do this in a class...

public function __debugInfo() {
    return ['Nothing to see here.'];
}

...then dumping an instance of it will be useless.

It looks like most of the __debugInfo() work is done in the dedicated WireDebugInfo class. If you think that Ryan has covered everything that anyone could ever need here then I guess shorter/tidier is better. But if you have doubts I'd rather get all the data as per the status quo than be wondering about what might have been overlooked.

• Like 2

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic