Tracy Debugger

adrian

11 minutes ago, Macrura said:

sorry for my confusion, but didn't the P icon used to have a link to edit the page being viewed? I used to use this all the time to get from front end to backend edit page - was that link moved somewhere - the appearance of that P panel seems to have changed a lot.

Hi @Macrura - sorry for the confusion. I split the content of the PW Info panel into two panels - itself and the new Request Info panel. Discussion on this new panel starts here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12208-tracy-debugger/?do=findComment&comment=153033

You'll see that it has the page edit and template edit (if your code editor is configured for links) buttons at the bottom. 

The PW Info panel is now more about info and links for PW and the Request Info panel is about the current page/request.

Be sure to check out the new options for both these panels in the module config settings as well - lots of great new tools.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

Small new feature that some of you may find useful. It is disabled by default so you will need to turn it on in the ProcessWire Info panel config settings section.

Goto Page By ID which is available in the PW Info panel:

5a1d1db6c196b_ScreenShot2017-11-28at12_26_10AM.png.bf3af193d647cf04683e5f5c1646d7fb.png

It allows you to enter a page ID and click "View" or "Edit to be taken to the appropriate place. 

This was requested by a friend who is getting into PW development and I can see it being quite useful on sites where you reference key pages by ID in your template files and want quick access to view/edit them without browsing or typing a full URL, especially when you can't actually remember what pages they actually are :) 

• Like 4

Hello Adrian upgraded to the latest version and i didnt go well, i am unable to enable the plugin:

ProcessWire: ProcessModule: Unknown language

DEBUG MODE BACKTRACE ($config->debug == true):
#0 /var/www/html/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(813): ProcessWire\Languages->setLanguage(NULL)
#1 /var/www/html/wire/core/Pages.php(719): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->getPath(21, Array)
#2 /var/www/html/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/TracyDebugger.module(2662): ProcessWire\Pages->getPath('21')
#3 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(777): TracyDebugger->{closure}(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#4 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Modules), 'saveModuleConfi...', Array)
#5 /var/www/html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessModule/ProcessModule.module(1309): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('saveModuleConfi...', Array)
#6 /var/www/html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessModule/ProcessModule.module(1136): ProcessWire\ProcessModule->renderEdit('TracyDebugger', Array)
#7 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\ProcessModule->___executeEdit()
#8 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___executeEdit', Array)
#9 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessModule), 'executeEdit', Array)
#10 /var/www/html/wire/core/ProcessController.php(244): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('executeEdit', Array)
#11 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\ProcessController->___execute()
#12 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#13 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessController), 'execute', Array)
#14 /var/www/html/wire/core/admin.php(113): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#15 /var/www/html/wire/modules/AdminTheme/AdminThemeReno/controller.php(13): require('/var/www/html/a...')
#16 /var/www/html/site/templates/admin.php(15): require('/var/www/html/a...')
#17 /var/www/html/wire/core/TemplateFile.php(268): require('/var/www/html/a...')
#18 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(380): ProcessWire\TemplateFile->___render()
#19 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___render', Array)
#20 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\TemplateFile), 'render', Array)
#21 /var/www/html/wire/modules/PageRender.module(514): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#22 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\PageRender->___renderPage(Object(ProcessWire\HookEvent))
#23 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___renderPage', Array)
#24 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageRender), 'renderPage', Array)
#25 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(782): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('renderPage', Array)
#26 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\Page), 'render', Array)
#27 /var/www/html/wire/modules/Process/ProcessPageView.module(205): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('render', Array)
#28 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\ProcessPageView->___execute(true)
#29 /var/www/html/wire/core/WireHooks.php(698): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___execute', Array)
#30 /var/www/html/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\ProcessPageView), 'execute', Array)
#31 /var/www/html/index.php(55): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('execute', Array)
#32 {main}
  • Like 1

On 28.10.2017 at 8:30 PM, adrian said:

I have rebuilt the Dumps Recorder panel as well. You probably won't want this most of the time, so it is no longer enabled by default on new Tracy installs, so if you are upgrading, I recommend disabling the Dumps Recorder panel by default and just enabling via the Panel Selector as needed. It no longer has a "Preserve Dumps" option, because that is now it's only purpose, so when it is enabled, it will preserve all dumps across all page / ajax requests and reloads. You can click "Clear Dumps" whenever you want, and of course disabling it will also clear the recorded dumps.

hi adrian,

I hope i'm using tracy wrong in this case because the missing option is quite annoying for me. I'm debugging a lot via bd('mytest') calls in my project and when i reload i want to see all dumps based on that single reload most of the time. with the missing option i always have to clean the dump and then reload. if i dont clean the dump it gets messy and misleading sometimes (showing variable values from a previous pageload).

thanks for your help :)

Hi @erikvanberkum - sorry for the trouble upgrading. I am wondering if you'd mind helping me debug this please?

Firstly, what version of PW and PHP are you running?

Could you please go into wire/core/PagesLoader.php and echo $languageID before line 813. It should return 0 and the if($languageID) condition on 813 should fail, but for some reason $languages->setLanguage($language); is being called with $language set to NULL, hence the error you are seeing.

It's almost like your version of PHP is treating if($languageID) as true, when it should be false if set to 0

If you can report on these things, hopefully we can figure out what is going wrong.

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

hi adrian,

I hope i'm using tracy wrong in this case because the missing option is quite annoying for me. I'm debugging a lot via bd('mytest') calls in my project and when i reload i want to see all dumps based on that single reload most of the time. with the missing option i always have to clean the dump and then reload. if i dont clean the dump it gets messy and misleading sometimes (showing variable values from a previous pageload).

thanks for your help :)

Hey @bernhard - as I mentioned, I now leave the Dumps Recorder disabled by default and only enable it via the Panel Selector if I need it which is usually only if there are some weird redirects going on that Tracy is missing. The main Dumps panel is now my own version (not the Tracy core) so I can control how it looks and behaves, and also the way it stores consecutive ajax requests.

Does that make sense and work for you? I can bring back the "Preserve Dumps" option if it's really needed, but really the new "Preserve Dumps" approach is to enable the Dumps Recorder when needed and when not, just don't load it.

• Like 2

Some nice updates this morning for the Console and the Snippets Runner panels.

1) The code injection feature (the one that lets you run hooks etc at init, ready, and finished) now has better error handling. It will no longer inject code if it detects any type of error (previously it wasn't properly detecting 500 errors).

2) The Console panel now makes use of orange and red icon colors. The orange simply indicates that you are currently injecting code, and the red indicates that there is an error in your code and as such, nothing is being injected.

3) The Console panel now restores the last error to the results section on page load so if you missed the error when you clicked "Run" to register the code, you will see it again as a reminder of what needs fixing.

4) 500 errors in the Console and Snippet Runner panels now show the full error message - previously this had to be tracked down in the browser dev console's Network tab.

Hopefully these changes will be nice improvements to debugging code in the Console and Snippet Runner panels.

Let me know if you notice any problems.

Cheers!

PS I have been using the Console code injection feature for all my hook testing lately and really enjoying it.

• Like 4

Thanks @erikvanberkum - well it is returning 0 as expected, but the first line in your error shows that setLanguage is still being called.

Could you please temporarily replace:

if($languageID) $languages->setLanguage($language);

with:

if($languageID) {
    echo 'test' . $language->name;
    //$languages->setLanguage($language);
}

and let me know what you get.

Might sound a little insignificant to mention, but I have found myself using the GOTO Page ID feature a lot :) but it was annoying me that there was no way to open the View/Edit links in a new tabs. Well, now you can - just use your standard "new tab" shortcut: middle-click, right-click > new tab, CTRL+left-click, 3-finger click, etc - really handy!

• Like 3

@adrian 

Replacing this code makes it work again. Now I am able to enable and disable Tracey.

if($languageID) {
    echo 'test' . $language->name;
    //$languages->setLanguage($language);
}

I cant find the output from the echo test, language name. The default language in my installation is English.

I only have the error when i enable or disable the Tracey. When its enabled and I remove the above code it keep working properly.

• Like 1

@erikvanberkum 

I just tested on 3.0.60 (I didn't have easy access to 3.0.62 using the PW Version switcher :)) and I can actually reproduce the issue you are having.

Turns out it's a bug in the PW core in that version. Look at the difference between:

if($languages) $languages->setLanguage($language);

if($languageID) $languages->setLanguage($language);

I would recommend upgrading to 3.0.84 to fix the problem!

PS - in my experience, 3.0.84 is more stable than the current "stable" version.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, adrian said:

It allows you to enter a page ID and click "View" or "Edit to be taken to the appropriate place. 

I haven't try this feature so far but the first idea that came to me was to have some kind of info about the page even without clicking on the buttons. How about an ajax loaded line showing the page title as you type, in the bottom of the panel? I think that would make the panel more versatile but of course it's only a nice-to-have kind of request :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tpr said:

How about an ajax loaded line showing the page title as you type, in the bottom of the panel?

Hi @tpr - thanks for your idea. I almost did that when building this feature the first time, but struggled to come up with the right UX. Been going around in circles for way too long on this and I am still not sure how it should look. 

I am attaching a version of Tracy that includes the admin ajax search feature embedded into the PW Info panel. It's rough in look, but it works and returns exactly the same results as the admin version. Please note that it actually only works in the backend of your site at the moment - some missing dependencies.

I know this is not really what you asked for, but I am wondering what the best combo would actually be. Would you guys make use of an ajax search? Would it make sense to combine the ID and page search into one feature? Do we want edit and view links for results searched by name, rather than ID. 

Anyway, I am happy to implement something here - just looking for feedback on what you guys would find useful.

TracyDebugger.zip

6 hours ago, adrian said:

Anyway, I am happy to implement something here - just looking for feedback on what you guys would find useful.

The attached version of TD doesn't offer anything extra compared to the built-in admin search so I don't regard it too useful - of course on the frontend side it could be handy. In this case it would be great having a non-panel version of it, only a small input line in the TD bar, with results appearing above it, growing upwards. Probably this is harder to implement, just an idea.

See the attached image how I imagined the ajax-loaded page title (plus the template name used). It should be one line only, cropped if too long, with a small font size. Also its placeholder space should be there all the time to avoid jumping when typing.

td-ajax-title.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tpr said:

In this case it would be great having a non-panel version of it, only a small input line in the TD bar, with results appearing above it, growing upwards. Probably this is harder to implement, just an idea.

I'll have a think about this one - thanks for the idea.

11 hours ago, tpr said:

It should be one line only, cropped if too long, with a small font size. Also its placeholder space should be there all the time to avoid jumping when typing.

I have implemented this in the latest version - please take a look and let me know what you think.

• Like 2

Hi, my Tracy Debug bar has gone missing. It was in the lower right hand corner of the screen, but now there is just an icon that doesn't do anything in the lower LEFT hand corner of the screen. Before this I exported my site profile and am working on a new site, though I'm not sure what that would have to do with it. I have looked at all the options on the module settings page and no matter what I choose, nothing happens. I have now just upgraded to version 4.8.23. I'm testing locally on MAMP.

Attached are some screenshots of the icon and the errors I get in Chrome. Any ideas? Thanks!

errors.png

tracy.png

@ryanC 

• Do you have PW's debug mode on?
  • Any php errors being displayed or logged?
  • Any errors on the dev console's Network tab regarding Tracy files not being loaded?
  • Any issues with file permissions on the files within the Tracy folder after moving to new site?
  • Any files missing from the Tracy folder? Can you replace with a fresh set from Github?

• Like 1

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic