Tracy Debugger

adrian

5 hours ago, Robin S said:

Problem seems to be here:

$paths = array($root);

Might be misunderstanding something but don't think the root directory is wanted in that array.

I can't see why it's there either. I have removed here and it's still working fine (although it was working fine for me with it also). Does it fix the problem at your end?

5 hours ago, tpr said:

Thanks - also an error here:

ErrorException: is_file(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(classes/CaptainHookSearch.php)

Do you have anymore details on this error. There isn't actually an is_file() call in that CaptainHookSearch.php file. Maybe if you sent me your open_basedir restrictions it would help me to reproduce.

• Like 1

A more verbose error message:

ErrorException: is_file(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(classes/CaptainHookSearch.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/domain.com/:/tmp/) in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/sub.domain.com/wire/core/FileCompiler.php:312
Stack trace:
#0 [internal function]: Tracy\Bar->Tracy\{closure}(2, 'is_file(): open...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 312, Array)
#1 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/sub.domain.com/wire/core/FileCompiler.php(312): is_file('classes/Captain...')

So it's the FileCompiler I guess. 

For the open_basedir I have the default setting in Plesk:

{WEBSPACEROOT}{/}{:}{TMP}{/}

• Like 1

Thanks @tpr - that helps. Could you please try the latest version. Hopefully I have fixed that and the problem @Robin S was having.

I have also added /site/modules/ so it is also scanned for hookable methods. This means the list of files/hooks will now also include all your installed 3rd party modules.

• Like 1

No errors here, thanks!

I really think there could be a search/filter box in the panels. I know it's hard because panel layouts are different but it could greatly improve productivity (e.g the new CaptainHook panel is about 4 screens high here).

• Like 2

Just now, tpr said:

No errors here, thanks!

Great - thanks!

1 minute ago, tpr said:

No errors here, thanks!

I really think there could be a search/filter box in the panels. I know it's hard because panel layouts are different but it could greatly improve productivity (e.g the new CaptainHook panel is about 4 screens high here).

I agree and have been contemplating it, but not sure the best approach. Do we need to filter just the filenames, or do we need to filter to the method name? If it's the former, then CTRL/CMD + F is possibly just as easy as a filter. If we also want method names then things will obviously get a bit trickier - do we need to add the name of each method to a data attribute for each file so it can be filtered? Do we want to automatically expand filtered files?

Any thoughts?

Imo many panels could be enhanced with a filter, not only CaptainHook. But as I wrote I know it's complicated and the filter should work differently in each panels. Unless I'm mistaken some panels even load data with Ajax, making things even worse. If I knew a cross-panel solution I would have created a PR :) I think ctrl+F will do now :) 

• Like 2

New Captain Hook version just posted!

Changes:

• I have rewritten the file parser so that it uses token_get_all, rather than a regex. This makes it much faster and it also makes it easier to exclude functions that are commented out. Please let me know if you notice any files/hookable methods that aren't listed.
  • Added a new column which has the className::hookName formatted and ready to copy/paste.
  • Hooks for site modules will be automatically added when a new module is installed.
  • Cached version is now stored in the DB cache table, rather than on the filesystem.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 11.15.38 AM.png

• Like 3

@adrian, a while ago @bernhard came up with a cool idea for a "hook recorder":

I'm wondering if you and he think this is something that might be integrated into Tracy Debugger. Now that there is the feature in Tracy (thanks @owzim) for parsing the hookable methods from the wire/site directories, I was thinking that there could be a feature that temporarily appends hooks for all hookable methods to /site/init.php or /site/ready.php. These "auto-hooks" would just do something simple like log/dump the method name as the hook fires.

Of course this would be terrible for site performance - it's something you would only enable briefly during development to work out which hookable methods are firing as PW completes some task.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Another update!

There is now a "Toggle All" button which may come in handy if you want to search for a method (CTRL/CMD + F) to see the classes it exists in.

Tip: search for "___save", rather than "save" so it doesn't find it twice on each row.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 6.06.46 PM.png

Another update, unrelated to Captain Hook - now each panel in the Selector Panel has an info iconlinked to the relevant section in the "Introducing Tracy Debugger" blog post so you can get quick information about what each panel does.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 8.10.52 PM.png

• Like 3

And now for something completely different - Tracy Debugger ProcessWirified! :)

td-pw-design.gif

It's still in "alpha" (meaning spent only 15 minutes on it) but feels much better. Note the semi-transparent borders (no drop shadow), full-height header buttons and the PW colors (borrowed from the Reno theme).

• Like 7

2 hours ago, tpr said:

And now for something completely different - Tracy Debugger ProcessWirified! :)

That is looking really nice - I agree, the default styles from the Tracy core are ugly as :) - really looking forward to your final version - thanks! BTW - nice seeing that you are making good use of the console Snippets :)

While you're in the mode for tackling this stuff, if you feel like it, it would be incredible if you'd be willing to take a look at this: https://github.com/nette/tracy/pull/241

As it mentions, that PR is a work in progress, but it looks like it's going to do more harm than good in my opinion. From my initial experiments, it's going to make it very difficult to get the ACE editor styles into the Console panel. In particular, have a read of my comment here: https://github.com/nette/tracy/pull/241#issuecomment-273268211 - most importantly, note that I always hack the Tracy core's /tracy-master/src/Tracy/assets/Bar/bar.css to change line #23 from #tracy-debug * { to #tracy-debug-bar * {

Perhaps we should talk about this more via PM if you are interested in helping to get everything working with that new approach that is in the works.

PS - no pressure - I am sure you have lots of other things to do. I have been putting it off for the moment myself :)

• Like 1

My changes are only minor ones so I can easily re-add them even if Tracy devs change most styling. I can send the CSS if you need in the meantime.

Those snippets are mainly for testing but the Console panel itself oftencomes in very handy :) 

On 26.1.2017 at 3:24 AM, adrian said:

@bernhard - do you have the latest version of the code available somewhere?

hi adrian,

nice that you take up my idea. i may have the code somewhere but i don't think it would be helpful. i did a manual search&replace in the wire folder that writes all calls to a file. i think you'll have a much better approach in some minutes :)

looking forward to your solution.

what i mentioned when playing with it was, that it gets quite messy very quickly. there are lots of hookable methods and on every pagesave or edit there are lots of recorded hooks. it would be necessary to build some UI around that. or additional informations, like a dump of the event object or the like. I'm not sure what the best solution would be for this.

do you understand what i'm talking about? :)

• Like 1

Hi all!

Major overhaul / refactor just committed.

To quote Github: Showing 54 changed files with 1,705 additions and 1,295 deletions. Yes, I haven't slept much lately :)

I have tried to test everything very thoroughly, but with so many changes, there might be new bugs introduced. Please let me know if you find any issues.

You'll also noticed that I have bumped the version number to 4.0.0 and am using a string now so that I can start being more semantic with the version numbers.

Here's a rough highlight of the changes.

• New skin - a huge thanks to @tpr for all his efforts on this, not to mention lots of other feedback / bug reports while developing this new version!
  • Captain Hook Improvements - it now shows dynamically added hooks, like Page::viewable in both the core and your site module. Also some general cleanup.
  • More SessionHandlerDB fixes - there were still some outstanding issues with some of the lesser used panels. Hopefully we're closer to this being a non-issue.
  • Improved CSS loading - in particular when opening panels in a popup window.
  • General code updates - various things, including updating wire() and $this calls to $this->wire() where appropriate.
  • Lots of bug fixes - mostly issues with the lesser used panels that had gone unnoticed, but still it's amazing what you find when you do a major refactor. 
  • Better code documentation - not my strong point in the past - hopefully this is now on the way to being much better.
  • File / folder restructuring - not really of concern to you guys, but will make life a little easier for me going forward with future enhancements.

Captain Hook panel showing new dynamic hookable methods and @tpr's fantastic new skin!

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 12.57.07 PM.png

• Like 9

I have just added a "Config" section to the Debug Mode panel. This returns a nicely formatted table of all the properties of $config - this includes those set in /wire/config.php and /site/config.php, as well as many other derived system settings. 

To make this visible you will either need to add 'config' to the $config->debugTools array in /site/config.php, or uncheck "Respect the PW $config->debugTools config option" in the Tracy config settings.

It shows way too many things to list here, but I think it makes a nice additional resource, so please be sure to check it out. Of course all arrays are expandable.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 5.18.23 PM.png

• Like 5

Just been playing around with a quick visual indicator to let you know if you are on the local or live version of a site. It's done by IP address using the same code that Tracy uses for its DETECT module to switch between DEV and PRODUCTION. 

Not sure how useful this is, but I do know that I sometimes have the local and live versions of a site open in separate browser tabs and occasionally I'll accidentally edit content in the wrong one. I am usually very careful, but we all make mistakes and just thought this might help as an additional visual indicator (without having to look at the address bar). Of course it could be taken further with customizable colors and customizable ways of defining what is dev vs staging vs production if they are all on live servers.

Any thoughts on whether you guys would make use of this?

Local

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 6.03.42 PM.png

Live

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 6.04.09 PM.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adrian said:

occasionally I'll accidentally edit content in the wrong one.

Me too! See:

While I like this indicator, it is way too subtle, not to mention that often I have Tracy turned off for the backend.

Edited by szabesz
typo

12 hours ago, szabesz said:

While I like this indicator, it is way too subtle, not to mention that often I have Tracy turned off for the backend.

I was wondering about both of these. I actually always have Tracy on in the backend (especially now that we have the "Reference page being edited" option), but I understand that not everyone will. I could pretty easily color the masthead in the backend, eg:

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.09.44 AM.png

It can start looking pretty ugly but I guess since it's only for superusers (and other authorized Tracy users) it doesn't really matter ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tpr said:

This is sooo art direction. Please make it optional :)

Of course :) 

3 minutes ago, szabesz said:

As long as one can define the color, it doesn't matter ;)

Absolutely :)

Now the question is whether it should just be local vs live (detected by IP address), or whether it also needs to include subdomain detection so you can color by dev.mysite.com vs staging.mysite.com vs mysite.com. Any thoughts?

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic