Tracy Debugger

adrian

update: i still (or again) think that this feature would be very helpful!

for example i need to create some fields via api for my new module. it would be great to test this via the console. one window to create the field, one to delete it. that way i could test things very quickly without losing track.

what do you think, @adrian ?

edit: i solved it by implementing 2 methods in my module and then calling them from 2 different browser instances (1 on default browser, 1 on incognito) like this:

// default
$m = $modules->get('mymodule');
$m->tmp_create();

// incognito
$m->tmp_delete();

the methods look like this:

public function tmp_create() {
    $log = $this->wire->log;

$field = new Field();
    $field->type = $this->modules->get('FieldtypeTextarea');
    $field->name = 'test';
    $field->save();

$msg = "field {$field->name} successfully created";
    $this->message($msg);
    $log->save('rocknotes', $msg);

d('done tmp_create');
}

public function tmp_remove() {
    $this->deleteField('test');
    d('done tmp_remove');
}

i like this approach even more because i can write the code in my IDE now :)

sorry for my monologue

• Like 1

I usually use url parameters to create/remove such fields (eg. ?name=myModule&action=addFields and &action=removeFields). You can open two browser tabs and just hit F5 in each to add/delete.

• Like 2

thank you tpr, i was not familiar with that pages. now i am :)

@adrian what do you think of hiding the tracy bar on mobile? at least a checkbox for that? :) in my case it would totally be enough to hide it based on screen width. if you don't think that's a good idea let me know and i'll add it via css on my own. i would prefer this to be built in though because it annoys me on almost any project.

• Like 1

Hi @bernhard,

Sorry for the delay here - been hectic catching up with everything after getting back.

I haven't played around too much yet, but I don't think it's going to be possible to have multiple console windows without hacking the Tracy core. If you want a quick preview of how it might work, change this line: https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/930b738e988239ac71fd76c23d565ba7dc091eeb/tracy-master/src/Tracy/assets/Bar/bar.js#L137

to:

var win = window.open('', Date.now(), 'left=' + offset.left + ',top=' + offset.top

It's just a quick hack to give each new window a different name. I am sure there will be side-effects though, so don't get too used to it ;)

Perhaps the better solution would be to implement my idea of adding a snippet manager to the console so that you could save and load (from a dropdown or similar) lots of different code snippets. You could run one, then easily load another one. I just need to figure out a nice interface for this so it's easy to find the snippet you are looking for when there are lots of saved snippets.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:33 AM, bernhard said:

what do you think of hiding the tracy bar on mobile? at least a checkbox for that? :) in my case it would totally be enough to hide it based on screen width.

I am happy to do something along these lines, but I am not sure I would want to lose the option for having the debug bar if I need it. Perhaps it could be toggled disabled be default (so it just shows that red power button like it does when you use the Tracy Toggler panel button or the Disable Tracy button in the Panel Selector. Do you think that would work for your needs?

• Like 2

On 11/2/2016 at 5:23 AM, adrian said:

Do you think that would work for your needs?

May I join in? :) I think hiding it completaly is a valid request. When solely working on ftontend design, it just gets in the way on cramped display lik a mobile view. So maybe a "hide once / sticky hide" option in this case too?

"multiple console windows vs snippets" Probably they are not the same. Snippets are pre made, but Bernhard is making up the snippets on the go and he wants Tracy to remember them, as fas as I get it, which would be useful for sure. We could even save them as snippets, should they happen to be useful :P Note, I'm not saying I badly need these features, I just wanted to point out a few things here.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, adrian said:

I am happy to do something along these lines, but I am not sure I would want to lose the option for having the debug bar if I need it. Perhaps it could be toggled disabled be default (so it just shows that red power button like it does when you use the Tracy Toggler panel button or the Disable Tracy button in the Panel Selector. Do you think that would work for your needs?

i think that woulb be totally enough and if that is simpler, i would be totally happy with that :)

12 hours ago, adrian said:

Perhaps the better solution would be to implement my idea of adding a snippet manager to the console so that you could save and load (from a dropdown or similar) lots of different code snippets. You could run one, then easily load another one. I just need to figure out a nice interface for this so it's easy to find the snippet you are looking for when there are lots of saved snippets.

you brought up a new idea: what if the code restore feature that you implemented remembered the window/tab somehow? do you think that would be possible? i guess a simple solution would be to store it based on the url path in a cookie.

another idea, and a short explanation why i think that this would be useful:

in the last weeks i found myself often do something like this:

$m->upgrade(1,2); // test upgrade from version 1 to 2
$m->upgrade(2,1); // test downgrad from version 2 to 1

i then have to (un)comment one of those lines repeatedly...

i think a history would be quite nice! simpler and maybe easier and more efficient than a snippet library (or similar in many cases):

2016-11-02 19_03_53-Greenshot Editor.png

just put a comment in the first line and it would save it to the history. :) what do you think?

• Like 2

Thanks for all those ideas @bernhard and @szabesz - 

14 hours ago, szabesz said:

So maybe a "hide once / sticky hide" option in this case too?

You can already hide the debug bar by clicking the "x" at the far right of the bar, so I think that covers the "hide once" requirement. As for sticky - you need a way to restore, which is what the toggle button does, so I think I'll go for the toggled off by default on phone sized screens.

3 hours ago, bernhard said:

i think a history would be quite nice!

I like the history idea and I wonder if an additional "Save Snippet" button could complement this such that snippets are automatically saved to history each time that first comment line is changed (maybe the last 5), and saved more permanently to a snippets library if you click the save button?

Anyway, these are on my list and hopefully I can get to them shortly.

Thanks again for the input!

• Like 2

good idea with the snippet button! my suggestion would be:

case1: code that does NOT get stored anywhere

echo 'no comment at first line, no save';

case2: code that goes to history, but NOT to snippets. that would be for some kind of code you need multiple times for a limited period of time (eg developing a module). you could change your code as often as you want, it would only show up ONCE in the history, saying "update module XY 1 -> 2". the list could be limited to around 5 - 10 items.

// update module XY 1 -> 2
$m = $modules...
$m->upgrade(1,2);

case3: when you click on an icon or the like in the list of historical codes, you could make a snippet out of this code. eg "update module XY 1 -> 2 (icon: create permanent snippet)"

// my awesome snippet
// do stuff for all pages under parent XY
foreach($pages->find('parent=XY, ...

i think the snippets and codes should always show up only once in the list and hold the last executed code. if you want to apply slight modifications you could just update the comment in the first line (like creating a new branch on github)

// my awesome snippet - TEMP CHANGE XYZ
// do stuff for all pages under parent XYZ
foreach($pages->find('parent=XYZ, ...

after the change you could rename the comment and overwrite your old snippet

• Like 2

Hi @adrian

I've been noticing something odd when dumping the $page variable inside a hook. I've noticed it when hooking several different methods, but take this hook for example:

$this->pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', function($event) {
	$page = $event->arguments('page');
	bd($page, 'page');
	bd($page->name, 'page->name');
});

In this hook $page should be the page that is ready to be saved - let's say I am saving the Home page. But when I save the Home page in the admin, the dumped $page variable is for the "Edit" page (ProcessPageEdit). Which is weird, but what makes it weirder is that the subsequent dump of $page->name shows "home" not "edit". Any ideas on what is going on here?

dump.png

https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/issues/6

As noted in the issue, we discovered it is due to the use of LIVE dumps that I introduced as default for bd() a few weeks ago. I was hoping for a workaround because it is so much more efficient, but as you'll see if you read the linked posts, I might have to wait for that pull request to be finalized. I might have to revert to normal dumps until then. I'll investigate a little more in the next couple of days and fix one way or the other. For right now, you can instead use /Tracy/Debugger::barDump() inside your hook and you should be fine.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adrian said:

For right now, you can instead use /Tracy/Debugger::barDump() inside your hook and you should be fine.

I'm not sure what's the right way to use that. This gives me: syntax error, unexpected '/'

$this->pages->addHookAfter('saveReady', function($event) {
	$page = $event->arguments('page');
	/Tracy/Debugger::barDump($page);
});

Do you remember which version of Tracy Debugger you introduced the Live dumps? Might be easier for me to roll back to an older version.

Hi @Robin S and everyone. I have turned off live dumping by default for the bd() method and added a new bdl() or barDumpLive() method. You can choose which you want to use knowing that bdl() will ignore maxDepth and maxLength settings (thereby dumping the full contents of an object etc) and will be much faster to render the output, but at least for now, it has the side effect of sometimes dumping the wrong object as noted above. bd() will always dump the correct object, but obviously slower and limited by the maxDepth and maxLength settings. 

As noted in the links referenced in this issue (https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/issues/6), there may be a way to make live dumping always reliable in which case I will combine the methods again.

Let me know if you have any problems.

• Like 4

Hi @adrian,

I'm getting an issue where bd() causes an error when used in a ready.php hook triggered from a PageTable field. For instance, if I have saveReady hook, and the page is saved from the "Add New" procedure in PageTable I get:

Error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function bd() in ...\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\ready.php:46

Edit: False alarm. I saved the module config and the issue is gone.

Edited by Robin S
Issue resolved

Hi everyone,

I have just added the ability for the PW Info and Console panels to reference the page that is being edited, rather than the Admin > Pages > Edit page (which is generally not a page you'd actually want info about or want to run scripts on). Note, that without this enabled, the screenshots below would be showing the admin edit page with ID: 10.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.03.54 AM.png 

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.05.34 AM.png

This option is disabled by default to avoid any confusion, but I would recommend that everyone will probably enjoy having this enabled.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.01.36 AM.png

This idea has been brewing for a little while, but this thread (https://processwire.com/talk/topic/14745-debugging-images/) prompted me to try it out because @microcipcip needed more details about images in the admin because there is no viewable page on the front-end.

Please let me know how you find this and if you have any problems!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

Looks like the latest version of TracyDebugger 3.5.1 always seems to show up in the backend even though it is unchecked in the TracyDebugger settings.  PWDebugMode is off.  3.5.0 works fine.  I'm on ProcessWire 3.0.45.  Hope that helps

+1

• Like 1

For those of you who like using the SessionHandlerDB module, I have just implemented a fix (thanks to David Grudl over at Nette) for the whitescreen issue that was happening with a Modules > Refresh and some other actions when your php.ini had output_buffering set to off / 0

As far as I can tell the only outstanding issue with SessionHandlerDB is calling bd() from the Console panel - this still doesn't work, but in most cases d() is better from here anyway.

• Like 1

Another update which now also fixes bd() and all other calls from the Console Panel when the SessionHandlerDB module is installed - the AJAX bar will be immediately updated now.

I think we can now declare that there are no outstanding issues with that module, but please let me know if any of you come across anything I have missed!

• Like 1

A few more updates to mention.

1) Tracy now correctly reports warnings/notices coming from PW's file/image AJAX uploads

3b03f504-ccea-11e6-82c2-cdc55f9b147e.png

For those following the thread on CustomUploadNames and on Github, not only did Ryan make some changes in the PW core to make this work, but David Grudl over at Nette also added a workaround that now allows Tracy to report errors from vanilla JS ajax calls, even if they don't call xhr.getAllResponseHeaders(); which should help with debugging your own vanilla js ajax calls as well.

2) Easy toggle for Strict Mode

Not sure how many of you have played with the Strict Mode config setting. It turns notices and warnings into errors and shows a full expandable stack trace. For example, here is the above notice in Strict Mode. Clicking on the "source" and "arguments" on the entries further down the call stack can be very helpful!

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.36.21 AM.png

This is great, especially for AJAX notices/warnings which are often harder to dig into. 

The catch has always been that Strict Mode will halt your scripts for these notices/warnings, which can often be painful when you are early into something complex and just want to get it working before dealing with these. Now on the Panel Selector panel the new toggle button makes it easy to turn on Strict Mode when needed (note this is only available if Strict Mode is off in the module config settings):

Screen-Shot-2016-12-29-at-11.28.19-AM.png

3) Time and memory of Console Panel code

I recently added time and memory of the code run in the console panel. Note the 11.59ms and 0.07MB at the bottom of the output. This could be very handy if you want to test the performance of different selectors or loops.

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.43.44 AM.png

Hope you guys find these new additions useful!

• Like 4

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic