Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hi @adrian, I've an issue to report:

Error: ProcesswireInfoPanel
exception 'ErrorException' with message 'Undefined index: HTTP_MOD_REWRITE' in .../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc:467
Stack trace:
#0 .../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc(467): Tracy\Bar->Tracy\{closure}(8, 'Undefined index...', '...', 467, Array)
#1 .../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(127): ProcesswireInfoPanel->getPanel()
#2 .../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Bar.php(81): Tracy\Bar->renderPanels()
#3 .../site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/tracy-master/src/Tracy/Debugger.php(266): Tracy\Bar->render()
#4 [internal function]: Tracy\Debugger::shutdownHandler()
#5 {main}

I get this when my MAMP Pro's PHP mode is set to "CGI Mode" and the "Versions List" is turned on.

I have not found too much on this so called "CGI mode", only this:

http://documentation.mamp.info/en/MAMP-PRO-Mac/Servers-and-Services/Apache/

As far as I can see, this mode means the cgi_module is used, so I get the error, but when MAMP Pro's "module mode" is used instead, all is fine. According to PHP Info REDIRECT_HTTP_MOD_REWRITE is on, so it seems to be a strange issue to me.

• Like 1

Thanks @szabesz - it should be fixed in the latest version.

I also added a "*confirmed false" to the mod_security entry when we know it's definitely disabled. I am pretty sure this should be accurate, but would be keen to hear reports from you guys about this. If it doesn't have this "*confirmed false" text, and it is reported to be Off, we can't be certain because it's a sign that PHP is in PHP-FPM (CGI) mode and we may not be able to detect it. As far as I can tell if it reports it as On, then I think we can be certain of this no matter what mode PHP is in.

• Like 1

Thanks Adrien, "Undefined index: HTTP_MOD_REWRITE" is gone with even in "CGI mode".

About CGI mode with MAMP Pro:

in v3.3.2 I used to get:

• non CGI mode: mod_rewrite: 1, mod_security: 
  • CGI mode: "Undefined index: HTTP_MOD_REWRITE"...

now in v3.3.3:

• non CGI mode: mod_rewrite: 1, mod_security: *confirmed off 
  • CGI mode: mod_rewrite: , mod_security

So it does detect them properly when not in CGI mode, but just as you have noted they cannot be confirmed otherwise. It might be a good idea to use a short phrase, something like "probably not installed". What do you think? Also, the status of mod_rewrite seems to be uncertain too.

BTW, is it possible to have the Inputfield Fieldsets be closed by default? I keep getting lost when all of them are open, and they are always open even after saving the settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rockett said:

I upgraded to 3.3.3 this morning, and noticed that the debug bar is no longer adding rows for AJAX requests, which I need to measure. Any idea what may have broken this?

Sorry Mike - looks like it was an issue with a recent change to the Tracy core. I have restored the core to an earlier commit and pushed a new version here which fixes the AJAX bar.

• Like 1

Hi @adrian,

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered before. When using the "Editor Protocol Handler" feature, the linked error is often to a file in the file compiler cache, e.g. "...\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\templates\home.php".

But to correct the error you actually want to open "\site\templates\home.php" for editing. Would it be possible to rewrite links to compiled files so they point at the original uncompiled file instead?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Would it be possible to rewrite links to compiled files so they point at the original uncompiled file instead?

It should work that way. At least it used to work. I have disabled the compiler completely in all my sites so cannot test it quickly, but I was the first one to raise this issue an Adrian had solved it. If the issue is back, it was not intentional, I think.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, szabesz said:

I have enabled the compiler just to test it and it works as expected for me.

That's strange. I have the latest Tracy and PW versions, and if I introduce a deliberate error into home.php I get this:

tracy.png

On 10/1/2016 at 11:40 PM, Robin S said:

That's strange. I have the latest Tracy and PW versions, and if I introduce a deliberate error into home.php I get this:

tracy.png

That is weird - it's certainly working for me. I think the problem is the "...\" at the start of the path.

Would you mind having a play around with the replacement code (https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/90d0fd95a5f7b77df044c4a66dc5bd01e97d41e5/TracyDebugger.module#L299-L311) to see if you can come up with a working solution. The thing that makes it a little complicated is that the Tracy guys stuck with my initial suggestion of strtr rather than going with my revised str_replace option which would have given much more flexibility since strtr won't replace the same substring more than once. What this means is that you must replace the entire path up to and including "FileCompiler/". Because yours is for some reason returning a relative, rather than absolute path, the replacement isn't being made.

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows box to test on, so I think I will have trouble reproducing, although I think it might also be the way your server is configured. I would certainly like to implement a working solution though if we can get one.

Just spent an hour or so learning how to set-up custom scheme handlers in Arch linux to try this feature out and it's now working fine for me after a few false leads. This will really come in handy - thanks Adrian and the Tracy devs!

• Like 3

On 3/10/2016 at 2:00 AM, adrian said:

Would you mind having a play around with the replacement code (https://github.com/adrianbj/TracyDebugger/blob/90d0fd95a5f7b77df044c4a66dc5bd01e97d41e5/TracyDebugger.module#L299-L311) to see if you can come up with a working solution.

Hi @adrian,

I have had a look at this and I think the problem is due to the direction of file path slashes on Windows versus Unix.

You can see mixed forward and backslashes in this screenshot of the Template Resources panel.

tracy-1.png

It looks wrong but the links to the editor still work okay. Edit: apparently it's no big deal to mix forward and backslashes within a path for Windows.

In terms of the error notice links containing paths to the file compiler cache, this is because having the slashes around the wrong way prevents the str_replace in Helpers::editorMapping from replacing the necessary section of the path. I got the links to work by adding the following after line 303 in TracyDebugger.module

$compilerCachePath = str_replace('/', '\\', $compilerCachePath);

Of course this is not a real solution. But maybe there is some cross-platform way to deal with file paths?

• Like 2

Thanks @Robin S for looking into this.

I am bad about not remembering Windows path issues. For the most part they seem to be handled quite well by PHP and don't actually need "DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR", but I think the issue is when you're doing replacements. Could you please test removing your str_replace line and modifying 303 to the following which uses DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR on the end instead of the forward slash:

$compilerCachePath = isset($this->config->fileCompilerOptions['cachePath']) ? $this->config->fileCompilerOptions['cachePath'] : $this->config->paths->cache . 'FileCompiler' . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;

If that works as expected, I'll try to make similar changes throughout Tracy to deal with the mixed forward/back slash links like in the Template Resources panel.

• Like 1

@adrian - sorry for the delay. The change you suggested doesn't allow the file compiler path to be successfully replaced.

For me the $compilerCachePath variable before the change is...

D:/Websites/pw3-testing/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/

...and after the change it is...

D:/Websites/pw3-testing/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler\

...but to successfully replace the link to the editor it needs to be...

D:\Websites\pw3-testing\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\

I originally thought my str_replace suggestion was hacky but now I see there is already something similar in the nette/tracy source so maybe it is an okay way to deal with these path issues?

No problem @Robin S - the catch with your:

$compilerCachePath = str_replace('/', '\\', $compilerCachePath);

fix is that it breaks the paths for us Mac/Linux folks. I feel like this shouldn't be that hard to sort out, but not being able to test doesn't help.I wonder if:

$compilerCachePath = realpath($compilerCachePath);

or something along those lines might work?

15 hours ago, adrian said:

$compilerCachePath = realpath($compilerCachePath);

This pretty much works - it just misses out the trailing slash from the original $compilerCachePath so results in a double slash in the link URL. But this could be corrected:

$compilerCachePath = realpath($compilerCachePath) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR;

Alternatively, slash replacement could be done conditional on what the directory separator is (thereby distinguishing Windows from Mac/Linux):

if(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR == '\\') $compilerCachePath = str_replace('/', '\\', $compilerCachePath);

Or no conditional needed for this one:

$compilerCachePath = str_replace('/', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, $compilerCachePath);

• Like 1

Thanks @Robin S - really appreciate you testing all those options. It sounds like you are suggesting the last option is likely the best, which sounds good to me.

Before I commit that change, could you please check that editor paths work everywhere in Tracy on Windows.

Key places to check are:

• errors panel
  • "bluescreen" fatal errors
  • links to file/line from dumps panel entries
  • log panels (does clicking on the message take you to that line in the log file)
  • template resources - page number links from variables, functions, other files etc
  • ToDo panel
  • PW Info panel - edit the template file icon

The reason to check all these is that many of them are not built by the Tracy core editorMapping option.

Thanks again!

PS - I am not suggesting that change of yours would break them if these other links were working already - I just want to make sure that there aren't any other situations we need to cover for Windows.

Just wanted to let you know you guys know that there have been a few tweaks to the console panel of late - nothing major, but improvements to error handling, and also notes that say "Processing" and "Completed" so you know that your script is running and when it has completed which is very handy when you are running a script that manipulates content, but doesn't output anything.

I was also just reminded of the outstanding issues with the AJAX bar and the PW SessionHandlerDB module - I was testing something on an older site (built when I used to install SessionHandlerDB as a matter of course) and couldn't figure out why bd() calls from the console panel weren't triggering the ajax bar to load. I usually use d() from the console panel so the results are right there and you don't need to refer to the dumps/dumps recorder panel, seeing the bd() reminded me that it's still not sorted.

Anyway, just wanted to remind everyone who uses SessionHandlerDB about this in case you didn't know / forgot like I did :)

• Like 3

On 9/10/2016 at 6:51 PM, adrian said:

Before I commit that change, could you please check that editor paths work everywhere in Tracy on Windows.

Key places to check are:

• errors panel
  • "bluescreen" fatal errors
  • links to file/line from dumps panel entries
  • log panels (does clicking on the message take you to that line in the log file)
  • template resources - page number links from variables, functions, other files etc
  • ToDo panel
  • PW Info panel - edit the template file icon

Hi @adrian - with the change, the editor paths are working properly for me in all of these places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robin S said:

Hi @adrian - with the change, the editor paths are working properly for me in all of these places.

Thanks @Robin S - that change was incorporated into the core already, so glad it works everywhere.

Thanks again for figuring out the change that was needed and for your thorough testing!

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 10:32 PM, tpr said:

Folks at Nette are on fire :) And adrian keeps the pace :)

Btw, what about a shorthand syntax to bd()? I always have to search the docs or my previous code to get the name of the params. Something like bd(var, title, 3000, 10) would be much simpler. In fact what I need most of the time is var, maxLength, and perhaps maxDepth. But perhaps it's just me :)

Sorry for the delay on this - just thinking about it again now.

Now that I am using the LIVE option with bd(), I think that we can override depth and length limits completely. I have been playing with a new setting that makes these calls effectively have no limits by setting the depth to 99 and the length to 999999.

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 12.01.18 PM.png

I have been playing with it a bit here and seems to be great. One thing to keep in mind is that because Tracy's LIVE dump method renders object/array levels as you open them, setting the maxDepth so high won't actually do anything to what you see in an object/array that has been stored by the Dumps Recorder (with Preserve Dumps checked) after a page reload, but other than that, I think it works just fine, but I would really like you guys to keep an eye on things and let me know if you notice any issues.

Finally, this change does not affect items sent to the error bluescreen or the variables in the Template Resources panel, or the PW Info panel etc - these currently still rely on the maxDepth and maxLength settings in the module config.

I am not completely convinced this is a good idea yet, but I am going to leave this checked here and see how it goes. If you try it out, please let me know if you have any problems.

• Like 1

hi adrian,

would it be hard to get the possibility to have multiple console windows open at a time? it would be nice in some cases (for example one to create some stuff via api, eg fields or templates) and one to delete it - would be great here for testing install and uninstall method from a new module. that way you could test things really quickly. at the moment when you open the console in a new window, it loads in the "_blank" window and if you open the next console it reloads that window instead of opening a new one.

or maybe there's already a better way of doing this?

update: in that case it is really easy to do that, so please don't put any effort in this if you think it could not be of use in other scenarios...

$m = $modules->get('sample_module');
$m->uninstall();
$m->install();
$m->uninstall();

update2:

i still think it would be nice to have such a possibility! or at least have the option to DISABLE the code remember feature, as this overwrites the code of the current browser tab when you open the panel again. if that would not be the case we would be able to have multiple browser tabs open with multiple tracy bars with multiple console-windows. or maybe an option that the console panel does NOT close automatically? i don't know when it closes and when not. sometimes it stays open. i have not found a regularity here...

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic