Tracy Debugger

adrian

Hello Adrian,

on some of my pages I get the following error message on the frontend:

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type ProcessWire\LanguagesPageFieldValue as array in /home/.sites/24/site1275/web/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc on line 315 

The Tracy bar will not displayed on that pages.

Best regards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juergen said:

Hello Adrian,

on some of my pages I get the following error message on the frontend:

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type ProcessWire\LanguagesPageFieldValue as array in /home/.sites/24/site1275/web/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc on line 315 

The Tracy bar will not displayed on that pages.

Best regards

Thanks for the report - what version of Tracy are you running? Just want to be sure that reported line number is pointing to what I think it is. If it is easier, you could just post the contents of 315 of ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc

@Juergen - I might also need some more info on the content of the troublesome pages. I am not really a ML user, but I have it installed and have a field which is set to ML and I have content in both languages, but am not seeing an error. Can you figure out what is specific to those pages?

Screenshot_16.jpg

Nothing is returned.

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type ProcessWire\LanguagesPageFieldValue as array in /home/.sites/24/site1275/web/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc on line 316 

Only the line number has changed from 315 to 316.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Juergen said:

Screenshot_16.jpg

Nothing is returned.

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type ProcessWire\LanguagesPageFieldValue as array in /home/.sites/24/site1275/web/site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/site/modules/TracyDebugger/ProcesswireInfoPanel.inc on line 316 

Only the line number has changed from 315 to 316.

Please try enabling the Dumps Recorder panel - the dump is probably being lost due to a page redirect or something. If you still don't get anything returned, can you please try:

bd($outValue);

at line 311 - just before the if(is_array) line.

Thanks for your help with this.

• Like 1

Ok, I still can't reproduce here - from reading about that object it should only be an object if output formatting is off.

Anyway, I have committed a new version which should prevent the error - the PW Info panel might not display the contents of that object as an array how I'd like, but it should hopefully work for you for now until I can reproduce and format properly.

Please let me know if it fixes the error for you.

• Like 2

Introducing the new "User Bar"

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 11.46.33 AM.png

If enabled (currently off by default), this bar is displayed for users that don't have Debug bar permissions (typically all non-superusers)

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 11.49.39 AM.png

Currently it has three features: Admin, Edit Page. Page Versions

The first two are simply links from the front-end to the root of the admin panel, and a link to edit the current page in the admin panel. These are quite similar to horst's ALIF module, but I was thinking if you are using Tracy anyway, then why not have it provide these buttons for other users who have editing permissions.

Now for the first of the unique features: Page Versions. This is a simplified version of the Template Path panel that is available from the Debug Bar. It is also similar to the User Dev Template option, but this one allows the user to try multiple options that you provide. Remember you can always have the alternate template files load different js/css etc files as well, so you can provide a very different version of a page for your users to test.

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 11.46.50 AM.png

To make it more friendly for your clients/editors, the labels in the list are formatted to look like page names, rather than filenames. The user simply selects an option and the page instantly refreshes showing the page using the alternate version. Even if you have the Page Versions option selected in the config settings, it won't appear on the User Bar unless you have alternately named template files matching this pattern: "home-tracy-alternate-one.php" etc. The key things are the name of the template, plus "-tracy-", plus whatever you want to appear in the list of options, like "alternate-one", plus .php

Users must also have the "tracy-page-versions" permission assigned to their role.

My next goal for the User Bar is the Feedback / Tickets / Review functionality that was discussed earlier. I know this is starting to take this module beyond just a debugging tool, but I think it's nice to have all this stuff accessible from the same place, so that when you as the developer look for a user submitted support ticket, it will be part of the Tracy Debug Bar. Of course I am also planning a central admin interface for managing all tickets in one place, but I still think it makes sense to be able to submit them from the page in question and also view them from the page as well.

It certainly needs some styling improvements etc, but is functional already. I will probably make it possible to define custom styling/positioning in the config settings.

Please test carefully before enabling this new User Bar on a live site!

Maybe it's time this module gets renamed as the "Tracy Developer Toolbox"

• Like 4

Hi.

I don`t know is it bug or just my little knowledge of php, but I will post it here because it is relative to strict mode of Tracy.

PW 3.0.33
Tracy 3.0.3

screencapture-localhost-pw-clean-admin-module-edit-1473458903275.png

While Im trying to change field type from TextareaLanguage to Textarea i get notice

Screenshot_1.jpg

Also it creates table in DB named like "field_name_pwtmp". 

If to turn off strict mode in Tracy settings and after removing of newly created temporary table, changing of field type could be done normally

• Like 1

Hi @Zeka - at a quick glance that looks like a core bug. What happens if you change that line to:

if($this->wire('config')->debug) $this->message("changeFieldType loses table field '$value'"); 

If that fixes it, could you please post an Issue on the PW Github issues page?

Note that of course Tracy is not causing that Notice, it's just that by using Strict Mode you are forcing it to behave like a fatal error. It would probably go un-noticed by everyone else. 

On an unrelated note - do you know why all the links in your Tracy config settings are styled with strikethrough text?

13 minutes ago, adrian said:

If that fixes it, could you please post an Issue on the PW Github issues page?

Yes, it fixes. I will post an issue to new PW repo.

14 minutes ago, adrian said:

Note that of course Tracy is not causing that Notice, it's just that by using Strict Mode you are forcing it to behave like a fatal error. It would probably go un-noticed by everyone else. 

Ohh. Thanks for the expanation.

16 minutes ago, adrian said:

On an unrelated note - do you know why all the links in your Tracy config settings are styled with strikethrough text?

Line-trought style is generated by an Chrome extention. It mark all links with rel="nofollow" with line-trought style. :-[

• Like 1

I have added some simple styling options for the User Bar. Definitely nothing fancy yet, so let me know if there are any particular settings you'd like to be able to tweak.

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 9.04.13 AM.png

It can definitely look a lot more stylish now, eg.

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 9.06.32 AM.png

• Like 2

You can now also add your own features to the User Bar:

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.14.07 AM.png

In this case it's a link to Google Page Speed for the current page, but you might choose to link to a specific page in the PW admin, perhaps a ListerPro page - maybe bookings or orders, or whatever you want. An SVG icon is probably the easiest approach, but it's up to you.

The entire thing is rendered from custom php code that you enter in the config settings. You can make use of the $iconColor variable in your code to have it match the icon color you defined in the Icon Color setting.

Of course you can return multiple icons with this code block.

By default, all logged in users who don't have Tracy Debugbar permissions we see these custom feature icons, so you may wish wrap this in a:

if($user->hasPermission('page-edit')) {

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.10.36 AM.png

• Like 2

wow, that officially makes my custom admin bar obsolete...   would probably just put a function call there and then hook into that function on a template-by-template basis (e.g. some templates need specific links - if there is a feed, then i put a feed validator, if there is schema, i put a structured data test... )

News___David_Del_Tredici__composer.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macrura said:

wow, that officially makes my custom admin bar obsolete...   would probably just put a function call there and then hook into that function on a template-by-template basis (e.g. some templates need specific links - if there is a feed, then i put a feed validator, if there is schema, i put a structured data test... )

News___David_Del_Tredici__composer.jpg

I don't think I ever saw your admin bar - did you mention it in the forums? Maybe I just forgot :)

On the hookable side of things, I have been thinking about making both the Debug bar and User bar hookable to make it easy for you guys to extend. For the moment I thought this custom code entry for the User bar was a good starting point to gauge interest.

Let me know if there are any changes I can make to simplify things for you.

no, i don't think i ever mentioned it; it's just sort of a part of this ad-hoc sub-framework i use for developing sites..., and came into being way before Tracy was born...

I do use it extensively since it would show for non superadmin under circumstances where Tracy might be confusing; this one is super simple and just shows a handful of links to the site editors/managers..

on the next project, i am going to pursue using Tracy instead of this, and i'll post back here in terms of how it works out with using the php code...

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 8:47 PM, Macrura said:

seems to be always active for all superadmins.

Hey @Macrura - just looking at this part of your question again - is this the key thing you want changed - the ability for Tracy to not be shown for all superusers?

If you want I could check for a new "tracy-debugger-superuser" permission. This would only be considered if it exists and if it does, superusers would only be able to see the Debug bar if they also have that permission. Is that what you are looking for? or is your issue answered by these posts?

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12208-tracy-debugger/?do=findComment&comment=127746

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/12208-tracy-debugger/?do=findComment&comment=127747

• Like 1

New User Bar config settings for changing the position of the bar, as well as an option to also display it for users who also have Tracy Debug Bar permission - gives quicker access to the admin and edit links, as well as any custom links you set up.

Also fixed a bug where the User Bar wasn't showing in Production mode.

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 1.00.57 PM.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macrura said:

or at least they would need to have a vastly reduced interface

Maybe I could add a checkbox list of panels so that you can check off panels that aren't available to special restricted superusers?

Do you think that would take care of all your needs with this one approach?

When i posted that, i hadn't registered that you made the user bar; I haven't used the module config for this enough to be able to give a coherent answer about the panels but will study and return with more comments..

Hopefully i set this up right – i created a new permission called tracy-debugger-superuser, then i created a new role called 'developer' and then added that permission to that role; so now only people with the developer role should be able to see the tracy debug bar (?)

• adrian pinned and locked this topic
  • adrian unpinned and pinned this topic