FieldType "Group" like Repeater but without repeating

Jugibur

Hi together,

I'm wondering, why there isn't a fieldtype for grouping other fieldtypes together. Have bought die ProFields and looked in the external Modules section but found nothing in this kind. 

And as I read in this thread it seems not possible:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/4590-something-like-repeater-field-with-only-one-entry-allowed/?hl=group

Yes, there is the fieldset for the a template, but I mean a real fieldtype.

For what? Here my scenario:

I want using the Repeater Matrix for adding some content and render this inside a CSS grid.

To set up the grid / rows / columns with a width (span), the offset and other things it would be great if I could define a set of the needed input elements inside a field(type) for re-use.

In this case, you don't need to add this input elements for each content inside the matrix but you could choose just this set because it is a pre-build field. The bonus is, you still have the layout for the fields ready made in this field.

Imagine like the "Table" field but without repeating the elements or like the "Textarea" field with different fieldtypes.

Another scenario could be:

You have different page template (of course) but in each (or most) of them you want to have the same set of input elements, say for SEO, some Meta-Data or for defining a header slider or another element.

If this is possible I'm thankfull for any hint, if not, what do you think about this type of field?

Juergen

Edit your first post with the "Full Editor" to change the title.

But I'm not sure if you should change the title as the repeater analogy is far more fitting than the table one. ProFields table does not hold other fieldtypes – it's merely using inputfields to let you edit a database table "a bit more comfortably". That's why the field selection and setup differs so much from the real fields. Repeaters or PageTables are really grouping fields (in templates) and make them reusable in other templates, but with the added feature of repeatability. So to conclude, the fieldtype you're looking for is already available. It's the page field in single page mode. It's just that there's currently not a inputfield that would allow for a seamless integration of a page in a page. 

• Like 1

Yes, you're right with my additionally edit, I've removed it meanwhile.

Thanks for the explanation about the page fieldtype, I didn't know that. 

I'm just wondering that no one needed and created such a type before,

Is my scenario 2 so far from a practical use case? 

Just take a look at how MarkupSEO is going about it. It's just adding the fields automatically to each template it's used with. That's the goto method. But I've to say I'd thought about such an integrated page field a few times already. The closest thing to that is probably using "Page Field Edit Links", which does open the page of a page field to be edited in a modal. 

Edited by adrian
Added link to the module