Installing ProcessWire on Synology NAS DS716+

mhamurray

I am not an expert in server side technologies. Has anyone actually installed and used ProcessWire on a Synology NAS? 

As far as I can see the requirements for ProcessWire are met by the software available on the NAS. I have downloaded the ProcessWire installation folder OK and placed it in the /web folder on the NAS. I have run the installation and eventually got through the first stage after making some changes/corrections.

I am now in the 'database connection' phase which unfortunately didn't work. I entered the DB name and DB user but got the following error message: 

·  Database connection information did not work.

·  SQLSTATE[HY000] [1044] Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'ProcessWire1'

I had set up a database in phpMyAdmin prior to running the installation. The database on Synology is MariaDB.

I am sure my problem is down to my lack of knowledge but any help would be appreciated as to how I could move on.

Thank you for your response. I have tried to find the plug-in you mentioned. First I found that phpMyAdmin is the web based tool for administering MariaDB and MySQL. I looked for the file you mentioned in phpMyAdmin but did not come up with an exact match but found various plug-in names that might be close. I have attached a screenshot of the contents of the plug-in folder to see if you recognise the file you mentioned in there.

If the file is there could you indicate how I would go about disabling it.....

post-4149-0-54716800-1454409281_thumb.jp

I'm not talking about a phpmyadmin plugin. MariaDB is using plugins as well. To check for the issue I was talking about open the "mysql" database and look into the "user" table. There should be a column at the end about plugins used by the mysql users.

I can confirm that PW is working with MariaDB. Did you add user to the MariaDB? Sometimes you have to specify host as localhost or 127.0.0.1 or even ::1. But from the error response it looks like username is not sent to the DB. As LostKobrakai said, there is "plugin" column in mysql table and in my case it is empty (for all users).

LostKobrakai/matjazp

I thank you for your input confirming that ProcessWire can be installed successfully with MariaDB although not specifically on a Synology  NAS. My assumption is that it should install OK.

There were no plug-ins in the mysql table.

The onus is on me now to seek assistance to complete the installation as it is not a ProcessWire issue.

Peter Knight - The Synology software is 5.2-5644 Update 3.

• 1 year later...

Just to close out this entry. I can confirm that ProcessWire will install and run successfully on a Synology NAS (DSM 6.1 - 15047 Update 1). This was achieved some time ago and we are now developing a visitor information system using this setup.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hello Peter,

I have just seen your post and it looks as though you have received some suggestions from other members. To be frank we actually achieved the installation about 18 months ago so the details of the process are pretty hazy now so I don't think I can help you.  We have faced many technical challenges since then but mainly with PW but we are actively developing with no problems using the Synology and expect to have the Malta Aviation Museum visitor information system fully implemented by this summer.

Hello Peter,

I looked back in my notes to get a better idea of how PW was successfully installed on our NAS dated 6 March 2016.

I used phpMyAdmin and MariaDB 5.

In the installation process for PW I defined the name of the database I wanted e.g. Processwire, the user name 'root' for phpMyAdmin and the login password. This should be enough to allow PW to create/install the database. You should be able to check it's there. One thing to watch is that Synology has a MariaDB 10 which you may have installed on your NAS. If you have them both installed when you log into phpMyAdmin you have an option to choose either MariaDB 5 or Maria 10. I don't know how you differentiate between those in the PW installation.

The rest of the process is straightforward - define your PW admin account and proceed from there. 

I'd review the changes you made during pw installation.  The error message

SQLSTATE[HY000] [1044] Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'ProcessWire1'

indicates there is no mysql/mairadb username being sent to the database, hence the database login fails.  Maybe one of the "changes" you made prevented the database connection information from getting into the pw config file.