Accordion Tabs as Pages or Repeater?

zgjonbalaj

Hey Guys,

I have a client who is passionate about accordions in that he uses almost an entire page as a "tab" in the accordion. My original solution was to create a repeater with a title, ckeditor & images field. One of the problems i'm facing now is that sometimes the ckeditor does not link to the appropriate images field right underneath it and its getting way to cluttered.

I am not sure if this is a bug or a general issues but my alternative is to create sub pages underneath the parent but i have a few questions on how you guys would approach this or if my idea below makes sense.

1. Since i do not want these pages appearing anywhere else (navigation, sitemap, etc) but also want to give the client the ability to hide or unpublish these pages should i create them using a fileless template vs. excluding them in every other nav output throughout the site.

2. If anyone were to visit the URL of that specific tab somehow, how do i make sure it shows up as a 404? Also will the sitemap module pick these up?

3. Any other ways of handling this?

Running PW 2.7.3

Er, not totally sure what you mean here.  But there are several routes.

You could use Repeaters, especially the updated repeaters on the PW 3 branch (and look out for the forthcoming matrix repeaters which would be very powerful)

You could use page table, which is similar, but you get to choose where the pages are stored - eg, under the parent that holds all the tabs, or under another parent that is, perhaps, hidden so that that part of the tree does not appear on navigation.

You could use a page field so that the client is free to choose pages from wherever you stipulate on the tree.

I am not sure what you mean about the ckeditor, but I haven't used repeaters for a while as I have been using page table.

When it comes to creating tabs or accordions, then surely you only create them out of the available published and un-hidden pages? So, there will be not tab available to be clicked on, if you see what I mean.

• Like 1

Er, not totally sure what you mean here.  But there are several routes.

You could use Repeaters, especially the updated repeaters on the PW 3 branch (and look out for the forthcoming matrix repeaters which would be very powerful)

You could use page table, which is similar, but you get to choose where the pages are stored - eg, under the parent that holds all the tabs, or under another parent that is, perhaps, hidden so that that part of the tree does not appear on navigation.

You could use a page field so that the client is free to choose pages from wherever you stipulate on the tree.

I am not sure what you mean about the ckeditor, but I haven't used repeaters for a while as I have been using page table.

When it comes to creating tabs or accordions, then surely you only create them out of the available published and un-hidden pages? So, there will be not tab available to be clicked on, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Pirate, i actually decided to try just creating them as pages with a fileless template called accordion-tab. I noticed that automatically if you try and visit the url of that page its a 404 and its nowhere on the site. Its like Ryan Cramer read my mind here. I will try the page table or the multiplier in a better suited environment or client in the future. I've purchased all the modules but haven't really gotten a chance to try them all out yet.

I think once i saw that these pages can be treated like objects in this fashion that is without an actual template file it just felt right to me so ill go with that for now. Thanks for your time and advice.