STUDIO 8 Dubai

gurkendoktor

Finally, our site is live. It's a quite small, straightforward site with not much use for a CMS as of yet. However, as we will grow we might need easy ways to easily add or exchange content. 

Comments welcome. If you see anything strange, please let me know. I didn't optimize the hell out of it, but a 98/100/97 in PageSpeed is not too bad.

Oh, I didn't use any front end framework or npm module. I thought this might be a little too much overhead for a site like this. I still need to minify my stuff, and there is room for optimization - but I really tried to keep my CSS lean. Don't look at the selectors though ;)

Modules used: 

* MarkupSEO

* ProcessHannaCode

* WireMailSMTP

* SimpleContactForm

* MarkupSitemapXML

* TextformatterVideoEmbed

On the technical side, this site runs on a small DigitalOcean VPS (1 CPU, 1GB RAM) with nginx and PHP 7. This is the first site I made that uses HTTP/2.

And here it is: https://studio8.productions

• Like 4

Hi

You are actually using your menu button post-1069-0-33096900-1452691393.jpg out of it's functionality.

I mean you have it there in the top-left corner at any screen size.

Functional use would be that you show your top-navigation at desktop screen size e.g. like this:

post-1069-0-85434400-1452691494_thumb.jp

and then at tablet and smartphone screen sizes you replace the top-navigation menu with the menu button

post-1069-0-90442600-1452691586_thumb.jp

But maybe you intended to use the menu button this way as part of your site style

I have to say I agree with pwired, what he is exposing is exactly what I got as a first impression of the overall site.

Nonetheless, I like the other design feats, color choice and typography and of course imagery all looking nice to me.

Thank you for the input and I know, that "Hamburger Menu" is an anti pattern. However, it was an active decision. I will explain why. 

First, I'm expecting more traffic from mobile than from desktop devices. It's about 2/3 to 1/3 at the moment. Considering the traffic sources and the market we're operating in, this is probably not going to change. 

Second: it looks ugly. I played around with a couple of options beforehand and considered various design approaches. Always when I came to the desktop part, I didn't want the menu there. I could just not figure a way to make it look right. Right as in: I am convinced. Maybe I can't design menus.

But maybe you intended to use the menu button this way as part of your site style

This assumption is therefore right :)

If we had more traffic, we could do some A/B-testing and see what performs better. But this is not the intention as of yet. Performance-driven (as in: maximum conversion rate) sites look different, and this is not one of them. I'd rather set up various campaigns with dedicated landing pages living outside this website.

• Like 1