Microsoft drops support for < IE11

SiNNuT

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

This is good news! It will probably be a while before you can drop support for older IE versions in new projects but imo this will definitely help things to move in the right direction.

At work we are still on Win7 and IE10. I already got notifications on some sites/webapps that Microsoft has stopped support and that we should upgrade to 11.

I never saw MS so pushy as with win10 where even windows inside goes facebook style.

Well, Internet Explorer 11 runs fine on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. It's not that they are pushing the Edge browser, which is only available on Win10.

I'm not saying that Microsoft isn't pushing Windows 10 but this news is not part of that.

• Like 1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

This is good news! It will probably be a while before you can drop support for older IE versions in new projects but imo this will definitely help things to move in the right direction.

At work we are still on Win7 and IE10. I already got notifications on some sites/webapps that Microsoft has stopped support and that we should upgrade to 11.

This will be a boon to anyone supporting clients who haven't upgraded their Windows browser technology.  This announcement is directly related to ending all technical support issues that deal with entrenched Windows XP/2000/Vista installations (hint: there are still a lot of them out there).

Woohoo!

They're definitely on a drive to get people updated across the board even if this announcement didn't specify OS. It's got to be expensive to keep supporting old stuff.

Now can Apple just end support for Safari next? All versions? Found a load of Safari-only quirks in a site I'm working on at the moment and it's doing nothing for my mood :(

• Like 5

Woohoo!

They're definitely on a drive to get people updated across the board even if this announcement didn't specify OS. It's got to be expensive to keep supporting old stuff.

Now can Apple just end support for Safari next? All versions? Found a load of Safari-only quirks in a site I'm working on at the moment and it's doing nothing for my mood :(

It does kinda specify OS:

Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical supports and security updates. Internet Explorer 11 is the last version of Internet Explorer, and will continue to receive security updates, compatibility fixes, and technical support on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

So for the aforementioned OS's, IE 11 is the only supported version. If you want to support <Windows 7 it goes from IE 9 to IE 8 and then IE 6(if you need to support Win2000 ;) ).

I meant I'd like to see Win7 and 8 disappear too personally :)

Must say, I'm still quite a fan of 7 - very efficient system. Never really got used to the whole start screen concept, and can't say I'm too fond of the win10 start menu. As much as I use both 8 and 10, I'll always regard 7 as one of the best releases of Windows.

• Like 2

Must say, I'm still quite a fan of 7 - very efficient system. Never really got used to the whole start screen concept, and can't say I'm too fond of the win10 start menu. As much as I use both 8 and 10, I'll always regard 7 as one of the bext releases of Windows.

I am stuck on Windows 7 for the time being at least since with my music composition software and plugins the chance of the upgrade failing is very high. The general warning from the music community is to wait until you change systems, which I cannot afford to do.

Windows 7/8 has reached end-of-life for mainstream support.  You only have Windows 8.1 and 10 for mainstream support.  Windows extended support still covers Windows Vista to Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Interesting to see an eol for 10, considering that MS is moving to a more Windows-as-a-service approach... I'm sure that'll get cleared up one day when they drop the '10' from the name, and just called it Windows (if they even do that).

I am stuck on Windows 7 for the time being at least since with my music composition software and plugins the chance of the upgrade failing is very high. The general warning from the music community is to wait until you change systems, which I cannot afford to do.

So then your composition software is heavily reliant on the OS? I guess I'd say I'm surprised? Or no?

Hurumph!

I actually have my original Creator disc, sent in the post to me by Gehard Langling (I think that was his name) with a hand written label.  This eventually became Logic, and is now rubbish. But back then was amazing.

I now use Cubase 8.5 with things like Hollywood Strings and so on, but back then, I had an Emulator 1, and Atari ST (which I replaced with the Mega 4 shown above). My first hard disc was 10 mb, I think.  Something stupid like that.  But I thought it made me really cool.

Other stuff, a little later, were Lynn drums, Jupiter 8 keyboard, Emu 2 (I upgraded), Oberheim and Prophet 10, which was a 2 keyboard version of the Prophet 5.

Gaud - this is all a long time ago!

Mind you, despite all the computer stuff, I was still recording on 24 track analogue, and George Peckham (who had the office next to mine) was still cutting vinyls for everyone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Peckham

Now I feel old, I am going to have my dinner and put on my slippers.

• Like 1

Whaa? :-)....I used Win10 for about 30 minutes and couldn't stand it. Switched back to 7 :-)

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. :borg:

or

We only wish to raise quality of life for all species. :borg:

:D

• Like 1

For me this is great news. All my sites going forward will only be tested in IE11. If there is a problem with anything below that, the end of life can be highlighted to the client, and a fix will cost extra (unless it is simple of course). Gone are the days I have to spend time and implement fixes for crap browsers for no extra money.

• Like 1