Getting blog content from childs child

Olli

Hey

I'm trying to output on my frontpage the latest news but I keep getting a output of "".

The sitemap looks something like this:

Homepage

-news page (uses template "news")

--news listed separately as children to "news page"

This is the probably the closest I have gotten to the right answer. So get the pages with template "news", which is just one page, and get the children of it. Am I missing something here?

<?php
foreach ($pages->get('template=news')->children as $news) {
?>
<h1><?php $news->title ?></h1>
<?php
}
?>

I have some dull information in the backend so I am expecting some 

output.

Any ideas?

Inside that foreach, add another using $news->children as $news. I would give a better code example, but I'm on my mobile. :(

Sorry, I can't find the edit button on the mobile site. But I just noticed you aren't echoing out your title you need to use <?=$news->title?>

• Like 1

Well that was it :D I also got lost in my several template files but that final echoing fixed my problem :)

Now my next task is to sort them by date... we'll see if I need help with that too...

Edit: ("limit=3, sort=-date") seems to do most of the magic, just need to get the date sort to show latest first.

Edit: wrong syntax... ("limit=3, sort=-created") yey!

Edited by Olli
  • Like 1

I'm getting the news content as wished but now I'm in trouble with the word count. As the foreach spits out the full length of the body text, I would need to limit this to e.g. 200 characters. Any ideas how that would be made with processwire or do I have to use normal php functions to limit it.

Alternatively, I could make 2 bodys, one where the intro text is and another for the full text, this is more work for the publisher tho...