Flexbox polyfill (CSS)

SiNNuT

@Martijn Keep in mind that flexbox has more uses than just grids. Some argue that you shouldn't even use flexbox for overall page layout. Float or inline-block grids work fine for the most part and in the future the native css grid module will be the go-to solution. But flexbox has its own uses.

@SiNNuT, I do get your point, but always try to avoid polyfills when not really needed. Thereby I'm really old fashioned about HTML & CSS. I still love the XHTML more then HTML5 for example :-)

Somehow I can't let loose IE8, maybe because most the sites i've build in the last years had approximate 5% IE8 users.

• 5 months later...
On 6.1.2016 at 7:41 PM, Martijn Geerts said:

@SiNNuT, I do get your point, but always try to avoid polyfills when not really needed. Thereby I'm really old fashioned about HTML & CSS. I still love the XHTML more then HTML5 for example :-)

Somehow I can't let loose IE8, maybe because most the sites i've build in the last years had approximate 5% IE8 users.

Yes, I would like to (minimal) support IE 8-10 too... Just to have a better feeling about the usability of the site *g*

I would like to move to flexbox, but need an IE8-10 workaround / "minimal support" without breaking the modern browsers.

Anyone tested flexibility? It doesn't work with my Win7 IE / IE-Tester?!
An IE10 and maybe a with flexibility IE8/9 working minimal example / demo would be nice... Haven't found a working one.

If you're using flexbox for plain alignment issues, where things just don't look as nice and tidy on old browsers there's no need to care about a polyfill. For creating grids and such things flexbox isn't really designed for and I'd simply stay with the good old float or inline-block tools. Css grids, which are really created to solve the grid issues, are sadly still way from being supported widely.

• Like 1

Thanks, maybe I shouldn't think too much about old IE versions...

https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support#

Users should update to Win7 / IE 11 because Microsoft won't support / update WinXP / < IE11any more...

But I know customer with some WinXP work stations :huh:

But shouldn't be used for daily work / internet...

That's why an fallback to old style layout columns (float, inline-block) should be fine, but less flexible without width calculation / some JavaScript.