ProcessWire on Twitter and social media

Peter Knight

I have HootSuite running for social media management. One thing I like to do is have separate streams running for various CMS I have an interest in. This means I can quickly see all posts mentioning CMS A, CMS B, CMS C etc in a dedicated stream. Makes it easy to follow community topics and product developments etc. But it also makes it easy to gauge social media chatter in relation to a CMS. 

One thing I've always noticed is how few mentions and tweets PW gets compared to other CMS.

IMHO we have a very active and enthusiastic community (as evident from the forums) but a relatively quiet community when it comes to Twitter and Facebook.

I'm guilty of this myself but the same thing occurs to me every time I see those three social media streams lined up side by side.

Why is it that users of CMS B and CMS A are so vocal on twitter, google plus etc and quick to promote their CMS when PW gets a mention or re-tweet only every second of third day?

Incidentally, the 2 other CMS I follow are not huge platforms where you'd naturally expect thousands of tweets a day in comparison to ProcessWire.

Anyway, the above occurred to me again after reading Ryan's roadmap post where there was specific mention of

Delegate the core (and more) to a broader team

This was followed by mention of :

forums, website, management of modules, cheatsheet, sites directory, developer directory, 

curiously there was no mention of social media.

Is there an unintentional prejudice against Twitter, GooglePlus and Facebook etc that we're not aware of?

Ok, it's an odd question but I thought it'd be worth a check.

ProcessWire is growing in userbase, the forums are attracting new members weekly, the CMS itself is a work of art, we have wonderful blog updates on a weekly basis and we have Teppo's PW Weekly too.

That energy and excitement seems to ripple out so far and then stop when it reaches an invisible social media force field...

• Like 1

I don't have an answer to this question, but I suspect it has to do with the very nature of PW that attracts people that are more focused on work and GTD and less worried about social media. At least I like to think that's the reason :)

• Like 8

This is just my personal opinion, but I hate social media. :)

Actually, I find it annoying to be constantly interrupted with tweets, or other messages, while working. And when I'm not working (read playing golf) the last thing I'm concerned about at that time is an update. I also try to keep things centrally located so that I don't have to go lookin' at other places to get my news or information. As it is now, we search both the forum and github for information regarding a topic. I think it would become a maintenance issue to add more avenues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against using these tools to better the publicity, I'm just sayin' I personally don't use them.

• Like 2

Conclusion, we are weird anti social people.   :ph34r:

Ok, jokes asides, it seems to be the trend with the type of developers Processwire attracts as diogo stated. I also think that also the very nature of Processwire makes it a bit "anti marketing buzz". We just won't be seeing: "10 MODULES YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT" and I think that because this "markets" don't really exist in the PW related dev world.

I wonder if we should take a look at what other frameworks more like Laravel are outputting to the social media.

Ironically, I started using Twitter a lot more recently to basically get more involved with anyone out there who is using Processwire.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am also one of those weirdos without a Facebook or Twitter account - I'd much rather read the PW forum or Github activity.

That said I am often accused of staring at my wife's computer when she is looking at friend's photos on FB, so I guess I am a social media voyeur rather than exhibitionist.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

You should know about 6 free tools to save hours of social media management.

• BUFFER
  • MAVSOCIAL
  • HOOTSUITE
  • EVERYPOST
  • OKTOPOST
  • SPROUT SOCIAL

Source: 

[[link removed by moderator]]

Edited by diogo
don't see valid reason for link in first post