PW Manual

Oliver

I am with Nico 100%...

+1 in all that he said.

wiki.processwire.com +1

And I would use MediaWiki, too. I mean this forum doesn't use PW as well so why should wiki? And with the plugin found by SiNNuTs it would perfectly with just one login

Wiki.processwire.com I think.

There used to be a "bridge" for Mediawiki that integrated the IPB logins but that was a long time ago. I can look into it as that would be useful.

Edit: here it is - works for version 3.2 of the forum software do very likely works for 3.3 too: http://www.ipbwiki.com/

Edit2: I need to upgrade the forums - I hate reading what I think is the last page of a topic on my phone and it's not - I end up repeating other people :P you'll be glad to know the latest version jumps to the last unread post in a topic on the mobile version - I just need to test it before upgrading (hopefully later today).

• Like 1

I've got to put most of my time towards launch a site for the first half of this week, but will plan on getting the account setup in the second half of this week. I'll get it setup for Nico and anyone else that wants to help, just let me know.

ryan - MediaWiki does have a lot of initial settings to tweak and there are quite a few recommended addon modules to install to prevent it becoming a spammer's paradise so I'm happy to set this all up.

I'm not sure about the bridge requirements, but it should be fine with being on an isolated subdomain as the database host will still be at the same IP address (depending on servers sometimes using "localhost" in the DB connection on a subdomain doesn't necessarily give you access to the parent domain, which would be required for the bridge to work of course).

If all else fails it could go under processwire.com/wiki (or guide or whichever name we're going with) instead, but I'm pretty sure we can make it work fine on a subdomain.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete! I'll take you up on that because it sounds like you are the only one here that's setup MediaWiki before, so I think it makes the most sense for you to at least get the installation started. That's assuming you have time and are comfortable with doing it? I know you'd originally expressed some reservations about MediaWiki, so if you find something you think might suit us better then that's great too. I'll create an account, subdomain and DB. Let me know what else I can get setup here.

That'll be fine - I'm off tomorrow through til Monday to finish decorating the house but I definitely don't want to be doing that all day every day so I'll have time to set this up.

As long as we don't plan on using it forever I'm fine with it - it can become a bit of a resource hog over time and we would need to keep an eye out for spammers but this server should definitely be able to handle it.

My knowledge is reasonably good in terms of setting it up but a bit flakey in terms of day to day operation so if nothing else it'll be a learning experience ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've still got to get the account setup. Sorry for the delay. I ended up working on that datetime fieldtype/inputfield with what extra time I had, because I got fed up with the old one. :) I'll get this account setup within the next day here hopefully.

I have run a wiki before (different software, so not much help), and they do attract spam like flies to something or other, so I'd recommend battening down the hatches sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I thought we want to combine the forum and the wiki? And I would like to experiment on it ;)

I think that is good way to go in longer term - but I guess first we do need some signs that there is enough contributors for the wiki.

Great news! Will it be possible to have wiki-articles in different languages?

I don't know what the capabilities or limitations of the software are, but I'm all in favor of anything multi language.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Multi language on the wiki software should be possible but I've never got the module for it to work and it was a pain last I checked.

I'd suggest we need a PW based solution since that handles multi language well :) Of course that's honing to require some thought on how to set it up too, plus might need version history first as some way of moderating and rolling back changes.

I'm happy to write some documentation as I already have to do a little of this for my clients. Is it just a case of getting a login for the wiki until we find something more ideal?

Thanks Stephen! I've created you an account on the wiki. Username is the same as your username here, and password is your email address. Go ahead and change the password once you login.

I see the wiki as a place to post documentation that will be eventually moved to the main site, and I think it's pretty good for this purpose. I agree with Pete that we'll eventually have a PW-based solution to replace the Wiki too, but now that we've gotten the spammers out of the Wiki it seems to work pretty well.