ALIF - Admin Links In Frontend

horst

@horst - this is the issue that led to that change: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/371

I actually don't like the result - I think it's a reasonable scenario to add additional permissions to the superuser role and do an actual check for these. I use the same technique in Tracy, which I guess is also broken now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian said:

I actually don't like the result - I think it's a reasonable scenario to add additional permissions to the superuser role and do an actual check for these.

I think it does make sense to say that the superuser role is a role without any restrictions and that therefore permissions are not something that can be granted or not granted to a superuser.

The comment (from Ryan in the GitHub issue) that I don't agree with is:

Regarding field and template editors, those are Process modules that are really intended only for superuser. Adjustments there can be destructive to the entire site, which is superuser-only territory.

Why should there be the presumption that there is never any scenario where a non-superuser could be trusted to add or edit a field or template? Depending on the user and the project there could be quite valid cases for this. I think it ought to be possible to elevate a role right up to the point where they are virtually a superuser. One way this could perhaps be implemented is by adding a permission for each core Process module.

@Robin S - I don't want to hijack @horst's thread here much more, but I think we are basically in agreement. My desire for custom permissions for superusers wouldn't be needed if we could assign some currently superuser only permissions to other roles. I think basically there is a level of control here that is currently missing and there are different ways of tackling it - the problem is that the one option we had (adding permissions to the superuser role) is now gone. I guess the workaround is to change these custom "permissions" to "roles". So for ALIF, horst could require a user has the "alif-user-account-switcher" role.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, Guy Verville said:

I don't know if you are aware, but the module will generate a warning with PHP7.3.

Thanks for reporting! I'm using PHP 7.2 and currently don't have a PHP 7.3 server running.

I will update my dev setup when I find time and fix this.

• 1 year later...