Admin Restrict Branch

adrian

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This module can really be a lifesaver for me if I can use it. But unfortunately I am getting this error on certain pages when i have it installed and am using the  user restricted branch setting (when i uninstall the module, errors go away):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in /home/u985981598/domains/clozewizard.com/public_html/wire/core/Wire.php on line 1160

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

@jon9china - sorry you're having problems with the module. You could please clarify what you mean by "the user restricted branch setting" ? Are you talking about the "User Specified Branch Parent" option for the "How to match user to branch" setting?

Do you have the same problem if you use one of the option ways to match the branch?

I can't replicate the problem here, so I am wondering if you might have some other additional hooks (custom or in a 3rd party module) that are also controlling access. It sounds like you are running out of memory due to an infinite loop.

If you can narrow it down to some other code interaction that will help. If it's not that, would you mind trying to debug this module to see where it might be goin awry?

Could you also post your other settings for the module?

Also, is the error only when viewing the admin with a restricted user?

• Like 1

Looks like I solved the problem. Your mention of an infinite loop got me looking out for a potential cause. I had a field of type Page Reference that selected from user pages. When I used that field in selectors - those are the pages that caused the error. They were looking for the page that identified the restricted user that was logged in - if that makes any sense.

So hope this description is helpful for understanding the problem. I just modified that field instead of choosing a page with template user, I use a field for email. Not the best solution for me for now, because the user could change their email and then my code will miss the match with that user, but does clean up the code so that I can use the module without having that fatal error.

Thanks!

@jon9china - thanks for the explanation. I think I sort of understand "They were looking for the page that identified the restricted user that was logged in", but if you could provide the selector code you are using it would be helpful - perhaps I can implement something into the ARB module so that you can still use the selector the way you want, rather than changing to the email field.

So if you could post the old and new versions, I'll try to replicate and see if I can fix it somehow.

• Like 1

ok, here it goes.  Here is the offending code block after being changed:

//do we find that a user field for teacher root page matches the logged in user's data?

$isTeacherPage=0;

$loggedInUsername=$users->getCurrentUser()->name;

foreach($myTeacherRootPages as $thisTeacherPage){

$herUserName = $thisTeacherPage->teacher_user_name;
    if($herUserName==$loggedInUsername) {
             $thisTeacherId = $thisTeacherPage->id; //found a teacher match; this guyz'a teacher
             $isTeacherPage = 1;
    }
}

the 'teacher_user_name' is a text field. Formerly, what was causing the error, was when this field was a page field that contained pages of template=user. (And on the appropriate page in that field, the restricted user would be selected to indicate that this was her branch) When the user who reaches this page on the frontend is a user who has been restricted to this branch of the tree, which also contains this page, then the page caused the error.

The template for these $myTeacherRootPages formerly contained a field of type Page, called 'user_profile'  where template=user

With the above code, where problem was solved, in the template, this field was deleted and replaced with a text field 'teacher_user_name' whose value is hardcoded to match the 'name' field of the desired user's user page.

If, incidentally, the user's restricted branch did not contain this page, then this user being logged in and opening this page did not cause an error.

the code formerly was something like this:

$loggedInUsername=$users->getCurrentUser()

foreach($myTeacherRootPages as $thisTeacherPage){
    $herUserProfile = $thisTeacherPage->teacher_profile
    if($herUserProfile==$loggedInUser) {
             $thisTeacherId = $thisTeacherPage->id; //found a teacher match; this guyz'a teacher
             $isTeacherPage = 1;
    }
}

It seemed on any page where I referenced the 'teacher_profile' field in the template, like above, when the restricted user was the one opening that page, then produced the error/infinite loop.

If that is confusing, then it might be simpler to just say the following:

to recreate the error, create a template with a field of type page that accepts template=user. (you could name the field 'master_of_this_branch')

create a page with that template and select a test user as 'master_of_this_branch'

in the test user's profile, restrict him to a branch using that page as its root.

reference that field ('master_of_this_branch') in a page in the test user's tree and signed in as that test user, navigate to that page and should produce the infinite loop.

@jon9china - I have tried your step by step and can't reproduce the error yet. I am wondering what version of PW you are running? There was a very long-standing circular reference bug in the PW core related to page reference fields that was fixed here: https://github.com/processwire/processwire/commit/8dbff5c7bc367e805badf51204b4e31123cf9b6e - so basically you need to be running at least 3.0.166 to have that fix in place.

Please let me know the version and if it is later than that, then I'll investigate this issue further.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for missing the reply, adrian. Yeah, in fact I am using the latest version of Processwire. Just installed it earlier this year for this new site.  Hmm. surprised that didn't recreate the error.  Not sure my description is accurate, then, in light of that fact. Nevertheless, my changing that field from taking a page where template=user, to just a text field did solve the issue and haven't had any surprises from the module since. At least this I can say.

7 hours ago, jon9china said:

Yeah, in fact I am using the latest version of Processwire

Sorry, do you mean the latest master (3.0.165), or the latest dev? The latest master version does not include the circular reference fix I am talking about. If you are using a dev version from anytime this year, the bug should be fixed, but without clarity on that, I really can't help much ?

• Like 1

That is a really nasty bug - apparently it didn't affect many users but it affected several of my sites - not sure what that says about me, but I am definitely glad it's fixed because I was hacking around it for a couple of years there.

Hi @sandimilohanic - unfortunately that's just not possible with the way this module works. Restricting to one branch in PW is relatively simple (what this module does), but restricting to more than one requires a completely different approach which is a little more fiddly.

Perhaps you can build exactly what you need (without the need to be flexible like a publicly released module has to be). This gist might be a helpful starting point: https://gist.github.com/adrianbj/6fd1b770d9ce7a7252b6

15 hours ago, adrian said:

Hi @sandimilohanic - unfortunately that's just not possible with the way this module works. Restricting to one branch in PW is relatively simple (what this module does), but restricting to more than one requires a completely different approach which is a little more fiddly.

Perhaps you can build exactly what you need (without the need to be flexible like a publicly released module has to be). This gist might be a helpful starting point: https://gist.github.com/adrianbj/6fd1b770d9ce7a7252b6

Hi @adrian - big thanks for the reply and direction for further development.

• Like 1

Recently needed to add something similar to a site I've been working on, and ended up with a slightly different approach. Can't share the code right now, but here's the general concept:

• Store all allowed branches in user profile, similar to the screenshot above. 
  • Hook into ProcessPageList::execute and add a select option for choosing which branch is "active".
  • Hook into AdminRestrictBranch::getBranchRootParentId and check if a branch GET param was provided and matches one of those stored in user profile; if yes, store the value in session. Return either the first branch from user profile, or the value from session.

Technically it's only restricting the user to one branch at a time, so there are some limitations, but in my specific case that's actually preferable: this lets users focus on one section of the site at a time ?

• Like 4

@teppo - this sounds like a pretty decent solution. I wonder if it might be something that could be incorporated into the ARB module as a feature. Let me know if you'd be willing/able to share the code at some point, or even better if you would be happy to incorporate into ARB as a PR.

• Like 3

Hey @adrian! Just a heads-up that I posted an updated and extended version of my code as a new add-on module:

The functionality seemed pretty specific to one use case so I figured it was best not to bundle it in the main module, but feel free to use anything from my module if it makes sense to you. Turns out that the original implementation missed a few key points and was very specific to a particular site, so this is basically a full rewrite... ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 6:18 PM, adrian said:

Unfortunately with the way this module is built, it can only ever work for one branch.

Hi Adrian,

it's a shame your wonderful module can't do multiple branches - was really looking for something with that functionality and your module does everything that I need except this. Still found it useful to completely block the page tree and restrict breadcrumbs. I am grateful for your module! 

Maybe any plans to rework it to allow multiple branches? With my (not very experienced) eyes it seems it might be doable, although quite a lot of code would need changing.

Personally I was looking to restrict users to only those branches, where they have pages created - I am using "page-edit-created" permission to limit editing to only user created pages. I imagined using it with "Custom PHP code" option and something like: `$pages->find("created_users_id=".$user->id)->implode("|", "rootParent")`.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Thanks for this wonderful and extremely helpful module, but I was wondering if there is a possibility to assign more than one role to a user with this module?

I have 4 roles with basically the same rights but access to different branches of my site (access is granted by role). Now if I give a user more than one of this roles  Admin Restrict Branch gives them access to only the first branch but not the other ones. I'm aware that it is not possible to have multiple branches in one role, but is it somehow possible to mix branches with multiple roles for one user?