Los Renegados comic book

elabx

http://losrenegadoscomic.com/comic/capitulo-1/cover/

A comic website made for a friend, I tried to make it work like manga sites (like this or this)

I don't really know if this is "nice" enough to put in Showcase but it was really really fun to do, and I did it like in 5 hours which just seemed like record time for my noob standards (and I got stuck learning how to check NullPage, but totally worth it). 

The comic is on going so my friend will be updating. He learned the admin like it wasn't even there : )

I used the fantastic Jumplinks for simple redirection from root to the first chapter subpage and MarkupSocialShareButton for the nice sharing buttons below the comic pages, thanks to the respective authors, you people are great.

This is my first time actually building something more complex than the average "hello we are __insertcompany___" site so I am quite feeling the hype.  :)

Improvements I think would be nice: 

• "show larger image" button for page spreads.
  • a kind of thing that remembers where you left of if you have already visited the site, I can sometimes forget where I left off, maybe a cookie? 
  • Would it be worth it to build something like this into a module?? Like, somewhere you can create volumes, books (or how you want to call it) and then add subdivision in the same fashion as previously, until you reach a type of data that is a list of pages that represent the images. Am I being delusional and thinking the wrong way about a module solving a big task like a comic book manager? Jus when reading again my idea it sounded kind of "Wordpressy way of plugins"

Any opinion is appreciated as this is totally on-going and a kind of "for fun" project. 

• Like 4

Looks pretty cool indeed. And glad you're using Jumplinks. :)

I think the only suggestion I have at the moment is to improve the UI controls. At the moment, the select boxes are native, so they kinda look out of place due to the darkness of the site. Perhaps using a dark Chosen or Select2 skin would help on that front.

I'm also sure it's possible to make the Facebook comments plugin dark. Not sure though - only ever did it with the old version.

• Like 1

Looks pretty cool indeed. And glad you're using Jumplinks. :)

I think the only suggestion I have at the moment is to improve the UI controls. At the moment, the select boxes are native, so they kinda look out of place due to the darkness of the site. Perhaps using a dark Chosen or Select2 skin would help on that front.

I'm also sure it's possible to make the Facebook comments plugin dark. Not sure though - only ever did it with the old version.

Definitely gonna try the select boxes style tweak, thanks for the heads up!

The facebook dark color scheme doesn't seem to be working for me, supposedly it should work with adding a data attribute to the element where the comments will be added, I'll keep on looking for a solution.

• Like 1

With the help of Firebug

html#facebook body {background-color: #000; border: 1px solid #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, etc.

"0 Comments"
._50f7 {color: #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, etc.

"Sort by"
._pup {color: #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, etc.

Top inside bar
._491z {border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, etc.

Bottom inside bar
._5lm5 {border-top: 1px solid #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, etc.

Facebook text link
._42ef a {color: #fff;}
#fff, #c8c8c8, other blue, etc.
  • Like 1

Thanks Christophe! I finally managed to solve the dark theme problem, it as a missing "echo" so, if one of the data attributes that facebook uses for displaying their comments plugin is declared but not assigned, apparently the thing broke.

I just spent a lot of time tweaking facebook stuff, meta tags all around, debugging with their tools, etc. I'll move on to improving the select boxes.

Also added credit for Processwire :)

• Like 1