Can $page->message() be invoked by javascript?

Marc

I'm working on an admin module and I'm using the build in notification system for messages, errors and warnings, which works great. Some of my forms are handled by ajax however, and it would be nice if there was a javascript equivalent of $page->message("hi there"), like there is for the SystemNotifications module. (Which works like Notifications.message("Message to send").) I currently have a custom notification system for ajax in place, but it would be nice if I could use something purely PW. Can this be done?

How about this in the execute function?

if($this->config->ajax && $this->input->post->message){
  $this->message($this->input->post->message);
  return;
}

Well yeah, that's the PHP part of the ajax function, but to display the actual message without refreshing the page some javascript magic will have to happen. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, but the real question is: is there a build in javascript function I can use to display these messages? I would like to use that instead of my custom functionality if possible. Like there is for the SystemNotifications module, as Ryan explains here. I tried that module but for my purposes it's not the right fit.