Problem in the installation

clicka

Hi, when I start to install, I get this:

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Unable to access ./site/assets/cache/ in /usr/home/###/install.php  on line 56

# Error creating directory: ./site/assets/cache/

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Unable to access ./site/assets/logs/ in /usr/home/###/install.php on line 56

# Error creating directory: ./site/assets/logs/

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Unable to access ./site/assets/sessions/ in /usr/###/install.php on line 56

# Error creating directory: ./site/assets/sessions/

Warning: rename() [function.rename]: Unable to access ./site/assets/files/ in /usr/###/install.php on line 328

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Installer::error() in /usr/home/###/install.php on line 335

I think it's for the hosting, but how can I install with this problem? Or it isn't possible. Is it  posible install in localhost and then upload the files and database?

Thank. Sorry for my english

I think it's possible that your archive didn't unzip properly. Can you double check that these files were created in your web root when you unzipped the ProcessWire ZIP file:

/index.php

/site/ (directory)

/wire/ (directory)

...and some readme text files...

If you see both /site/ and /wire/ there, that will help us to rule out a couple of things. Let me know what you see either way. If you'd like, create a file on your server called test.php with nothing but this in it:

<?php phpinfo();

Then load that in your browser. Post the URL here if you are comfortable doing so, or email me the result. Remember to delete the test.php file once it's no longer needed.

Yeah but it shouldn't prevent the installer from running... The installer will just say "this dir isn't writable, and it should be". Since it appears the installer threw a fatal error before even running, I'm thinking all the files got unzipped into one dir (root) rather than in the proper structure. But so far it's a mystery. 

I took a look at your PHP info, and nothing jumps out to me as a problem.

It looks like the server isn't allowing us to create directories, so Adam is right about the permissions issue. What's strange is that the installer isn't giving you an error on the first screen, saying that the /assets/ dir isn't writable. So apparently the directory is writable, but it won't let you create new dirs within it. I'm not really sure what permission would cause that (Adam?).

You could install locally and then just copy all the files to your host. Export the database, import to your host, then update /site/config.php with your host's database settings (at the bottom of the file). But if you can't create directories on the server, this is going to prevent you from being able to add assets to new pages, as it creates a new dir off of /site/assets/files/[page id]/ for each page. So I think it's an issue that needs to be solved either way.

Do you have shell access on this hosting account? I'm thinking you could try to install again, but do this after unzipping and before installing:

chmod -R og+rw ./site/assets

chmod -R og+rw ./site/install

That shouldn't be necessary, but it's what I would try next, as it sounds like we're losing the writable permission somewhere.

I'm not really sure what might be the cause of the problem – server stuff is like black magic to me anyway – but the reason might be some server screw-up – you know, system [unix] allows you to create directories, but somehow, the server blocks PHP trying to create the directories or something.

Before you start the install, the /site/ dir will be called /site-default/ and it will contain a few directories below it. The only one that matters in this case is the /site/assets/ dir, which needs to be writable. And apparently it is writable since the installer checks this in step 1, so that's why this is a mystery. But it then creates a couple of dirs in /site/assets/ and copies /site/install/files/ to /site/assets/files/. The directory creation and copy are failing. They shouldn't fail since /site/assets/ is writable, but for some reason the server is not giving permission, even though it says it will when we ask it. One possibility is that the /site/assets/, or some other parent dir is lacking "x" permission (permission to chdir into it). But you indicated that it was set to 777, so that includes "x" permission. I'm just wondering if some parent directory is lacking it (assuming that matters).