Ready for a clueless new guy?

poorboy

I actually registered back in January but then proceeded to bounce around CMSs, then went back to wp because it's just so easy to find and activate a plugin. Now I have a multisite with ummm, 40+ plugins :wacko: and a highly functional theme. I cringe on every update. I even have a couple I can't update because I had to tweak them. Lucky for me, there's a plugin to prevent other plugins from being updated accidently.  :huh:  

Time for some sanity and some learning.

I know html/css pretty well. Last year's versions at least. php or programming in general? Not so much. Took the UK Kent Univ programming aptitude test and didn't do too bad, considering I've never taken an algebra class. I've been blue collar all my life. Electric sign fabricator for 25+ years. Large projects that took weeks. Did many high profile jobs but towards the end, no matter how fancy it was, it was boring. Time for something new. Getting too old for all the climbing, stooping, lifting and breathing toxic fumes typical of a sign shop. Inks, paint, welding etc. Likewise, getting into another blue collar field is not much of an option at 50 so I've decided web dev as my new career. Jumping into a tech career at 50.  Did I say sanity? Nevermind.

Winter's coming on here and I've set this winter aside for learning php and a CMS thouroughly. Or as thouroughly as I can in one season. It was going to be wp but I just can't stand the UPGRADE TO PRO atmosphere and worry it might be contagious. (there are exceptions of course as I have come across some stand up guys and gals there) I've got a lead on building a site for a small nearby city and the thought of using wp brought feelings of panic and nausea. Depending on their time frame, I may have to use a responsive html/css/js site and upgrade them to a cms later. I don't have the job yet so I'm not going to stress about it. However, I still want to get into something a little more structured yet flexible and it really comes down to ss or pw. I think they're pretty similar but pw looks to have a less steep learning curve.

So here I am. I am the type of person that likes to figure things out or find things on my own but I'm sure I'll have plenty of ignorant questions. 

Thanks for your patience in advance, John

• Like 12

Welcome John! Indeed great intro! As Adrian stated, here is full of really helpful folks if you show the right attitude.

Get ready, you are about to experience blissful webdev, best luck on your new career!

• Like 1

John, welcome to ProcessWire, and to the forums. As said already, great intro. I find it fascinating that you've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. You just don't see that often. That said, with your confidence (and seemingly good general knowledge regarding this end of the spectrum), you'll do just fine. And, of course, we'll all be willing to help you whenever you need it.

So welcome, and enjoy the ride. :)

(Hmm, so I'm busy thinking about this electric sign for PW - imagination running wild... ;) )

• Like 1

I always find that the majority of a webdev work with PW is about front-end stuff and backend work with PW is a minor issue, at least compared to the systems. Of course this probably won't be the case on your first project but it will be soon. So if you know html and CSS (Js?) well, your learning curve won't be that steep.

• Like 2

ProcessWire is that CMS/CMF for real craftsman!

Other CMS give you the structure (mostly strange and not comprehensible) - and PW gives you the toolkit to build up websites along with your actual knowlegde and learning process. There will always be room for new improvments and enhancements in your skills while you building websites with PW, without break something or "crying on a update"...a little bit like playing a game and level up with every project/website that you learn something new.

Best hint at start is to change general thinking. Much more reflect the basic structure, data and possible enlargements on your project, than simple installing plugins.

Build your website just with HTML/CSS like you need it and then carve out the needed data and form it with PW templates and fields.

First important advice on the forum is to search with google and not use the forum search itself, since this search is not that good.

Second important advice is to wish you the same fun that i have after switched to Processwire - you will get some great moments if you are open to the basic concepts and ideas behind this piece of software.

best regards mr-fan

• Like 2

ProcessWire is that CMS/CMF for real craftsman!

Other CMS give you the structure (mostly strange and not comprehensible) - and PW gives you the toolkit to build up websites along with your actual knowlegde and learning process. There will always be room for new improvments and enhancements in your skills while you building websites with PW, without break something or "crying on a update"...a little bit like playing a game and level up with every project/website that you learn something new.

Best hint at start is to change general thinking. Much more reflect the basic structure, data and possible enlargements on your project, than simple installing plugins.

Build your website just with HTML/CSS like you need it and then carve out the needed data and form it with PW templates and fields.

First important advice on the forum is to search with google and not use the forum search itself, since this search is not that good.

Second important advice is to wish you the same fun that i have after switched to Processwire - you will get some great moments if you are open to the basic concepts and ideas behind this piece of software.

best regards mr-fan

Just to complement the "google search tip" which is great:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/6196-easy-search-on-pw-forums-with-google/

(Shouldn't this information be pinned somewhere?? )

• Like 1