The Brand New Idea

Tom.

After finding ProcessWire, I knew it was the perfect fit for our corporate site. 

The power behind PW meant I could do anything I wanted quickly and efficiently. I very quickly moved on from WordPress to PW for our clients and I have never looked back. WordPress has always been frustrating to use however I felt the alternatives I found came with their own faults also.

However this is a very different story with ProcessWire, it ticks every box. The API is powerful, versatile and easy to use. The CMS is secure with no known venerability (how great is that!), The templating is very easy and sticks to PHP convention. There is plenty of custom fields in the core, but great module support also. But also it's very easy to use for clients. All these are important and ProcessWire ticks every box (including multi-language). I can't thank you enough Ryan (and others working the project) you have really made an excellent product.

http://www.thebrandnewidea.co.uk/

I look forward to hearing your feedback. 

• Like 15

This is really awesome! Something to be proud of. I really need a few of your tricks on my current project so digging into the frontend source)

Thank you very much, feel free to check out any of the source code :-)

Very nice site Tom. Glad ProcessWire ticks all your boxes!

Just a minor niggle: I am not too keen on the scrolling/typing text thing...It hurts the eyes after a while and it also seems to be in several places so becomes a bit too much. 

• Like 2

Very nice site Tom. Glad ProcessWire ticks all your boxes!

Just a minor niggle: I am not too keen on the scrolling/typing text thing...It hurts the eyes after a while and it also seems to be in several places so becomes a bit too much. 

Thank you for your feedback Kongondo, I'll bring that to the rest of the team and we will have a discussion on it. :-) 

I actually like the typing animation, but the lines shouldn't jump when going into the next line. I think just changing this bit will make it less eye hurting.

Good idea, I'll be sure to suggest that. 

To: Tom.  From: NotWordPress

Brilliant! Big, bold and beautiful. It's got the 4 b's. Kinda reminds me of my wife. (she's from Taormina).

And it also reminds me of my dog, believe it or not, he's a harlequin Great Dane. (black and white).

Maybe you can make this design available to dog lovers like me. (For a fee - of course ... why not?).

We can start a website called: NotWordPress, since I have the .com and your design will be the first!

Let me know how you feel about this, because it's a brand new idea.

Thanks, Louis / NotWordPress

PS. I will be looking for 5 guys total - to join my team here at: NotWordPress, in hopes of propelling PW

to new heights.

• Like 1

To: Tom.  From: NotWordPress

Brilliant! Big, bold and beautiful. It's got the 4 b's. Kinda reminds me of my wife. (she's from Taormina).

And it also reminds me of my dog, believe it or not, he's a harlequin Great Dane. (black and white).

Maybe you can make this design available to dog lovers like me. (For a fee - of course ... why not?).

We can start a website called: NotWordPress, since I have the .com and your design will be the first!

Let me know how you feel about this, because it's a brand new idea.

Thanks, Louis / NotWordPress

PS. I will be looking for 5 guys total - to join my team here at: NotWordPress, in hopes of propelling PW

to new heights.

Hello NotWordPress,

I'm not to sure whether this is spam, however I found your post very entertaining. I must say if this is actually an adventure of yours, I would suggest against using the domain NotWordPress.com, while ProcessWire isn't WordPress, it will often draw a comparison. Why not have themely.pw or something?

Great work! 

I really like your contact form. How does it works? Are you using Form Builder?

Hi, it's actually a MailChimp form in which I styled. 

• Like 1

Hello NotWordPress,

I'm not to sure whether this is spam, however I found your post very entertaining. I must say if this is actually an adventure of yours, I would suggest against using the domain NotWordPress.com, while ProcessWire isn't WordPress, it will often draw a comparison. Why not have themely.pw or something?

No, not spam and NotWordPress. I think many people are looking for an alternative to WordPress. I'm one of them. Then I found ProcessWire 2 days ago and was very impressed with Mr. Cramer / Mr. Peisa's work. And some of the showcase sites that I've seen are really tops. ... All of them!

So, who can really say that they're competition to WordPress? Their Alexa ranking alone is now at 201 worldwide, and 81 in India.

This leaves a lot of room for growth by other OpenSourceCMS platforms. Drawing a comparison to a "King" if you can do it - is a good thing.

From what I've seen so far (2 days only), I think ProcessWire is the next best thing. So, hitting people right from "the get-go" (as they say in the US),

with NotWordPress, allows one to have another choice. 

So, my goal is to get 5 guys together, to help design themes (profiles), that could be purchased by people like myself.

Yes, we like Open Source and free stuff, but I'd rather use money to get what I want, rather than to fight with code all month.

And most importantly, there should be an easy way to put the sites online. I was up and running in less than 5 minutes by using the : grabpw.php ...

Impressive.

And by the way, up until about 1 year ago, I didn't even know what a "non-breaking space" was.

Cheers!

Welcome Tom, based on what you've shown us I think you'll like PW much more than WP. But I have to say I also think the type on thing is annoying. When eye candy delays reading of the content, the designer is putting themselves ahead of the content and that's just wrong. Sorry to be blunt but I feel strongly about this. More positively, the site's clean and consistent and squeezes down well. Oh, one very small thing; an extra closing p tag in the footer.

• Like 2

Welcome Tom, based on what you've shown us I think you'll like PW much more than WP. But I have to say I also think the type on thing is annoying. When eye candy delays reading of the content, the designer is putting themselves ahead of the content and that's just wrong. Sorry to be blunt but I feel strongly about this. More positively, the site's clean and consistent and squeezes down well. Oh, one very small thing; an extra closing p tag in the footer.

Hi Steve, 

Thank you for your feedback. The Brand New Idea is quite a diverse bunch of people, with strong opinions. We were very conflicted on the type effect, however a compromise was made. Ultimately user experience and user feedback reigns supreme. I'll be sure to take this feedback into the next Work in Progress meeting :-)

EDIT: 

Also good eye on the extra closing p tag, I've set that field to delete empty p tags. 

Usually I would agree with @SteveB on such "unnecessary" features, but the weird thing is that in this case I quite enjoyed the "typewriter effect". Combined with the overall style of the site, it felt almost mesmerizing, and made me focus more on the content.

All in all browsing this site was an enjoyable experience – great work! :)

• Like 3

No, not spam and NotWordPress

Their Alexa ranking alone is now at 201 worldwide, and 81 in India.

So, hitting people right from "the get-go" (as they say in the US)

Cheers!

Tom. identified you as spam, as will I.

Your profile states you are from Saratoga, CA. yet you mention Alexa ranking of ProcessWire in India. Why India?

I'm on to you from the get-go, as WE say in the U.S.

Your Twitter username is brand new, only several days old with 3 tweets and 8 users. All of whom seem to be WordPress related. 

By the way, nobody from Saratoga California ends their comments with the salutation, "Cheers!" It's not rad enough! :) 

• Like 2

@Tom.

My apologies for the previous posting.

I dig the site man. Really fresh. Loving the colors!

My only negative comment: the hamburger menu. After clicking it, it becomes an 'X'. Can you make the 'X' remain in the exact same place as the cursor, after clicking the hamburger icon? So the user doesn;t have to move left to close the menu?

And the social icons, that appear in the menu? Probably make them hover UP or DOWN, instead of from the side. It's a little jarring and visually "OFF" to have them slide in and out from the side. Perhaps make them the same as in the footer?!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all your responses, we have gone over them all and I have developed a "V2" of the website so to speak. All your feedback has been greatly appreciated and most are now in effect.

@OrganizedFellow - That's a good point, however you can close the menu on mobile in a very native way, simply be sliding it out of the way. Alternatively you could click anywhere on the body to close it. I will have a look into getting the navigation actions to say in the same place.

Thanks,

Tom