Get child page title from parent id

Tony Carnell

Hi all,

Real newbie question here; how do you get a child page's title from its parent's ID?

Let me elucidate.

I have a page type of Dam with 600+ dam child pages. Each child dam page uses a template called dam, and one field within the dam template is country, which is linked to a Countries page type.

I've written code to return all the dams in a certain country, but it returns that country's ID as it appears in the dam template's country field.

Having attempted and failed miserably to get the title of the appropriate country's child page's title from the ID, I thought I'd ask those far more knowledgeable than myself!

I appreciate this is probably day one, lesson one of how to work with Processwire, but I'm still negotiating the learning curve  :rolleyes:

Tony.

Adrian was just quicker... we probably need more code to help if that snippet doesn't work.

Anyways, I always have a good laugh when reading about those dam(n) pages and templates :)

True enough - it depends on how you are looping through the child pages. Perhaps something like this:

foreach($page->children() as $dam) {
    echo $dam->country->title;
}
  • Like 1

True enough - it depends on how you are looping through the child pages. Perhaps something like this:

foreach($page->children() as $dam) {
    echo $dam->country->title;
}

Thanks Adrian, that worked a treat  :rolleyes:

Anyways, I always have a good laugh when reading about those dam(n) pages and templates :)

I just wish I was having such a laugh building the dam(n) site!  :P

Once again I have to thank the community for its help. It's much appreciated.

Tony.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

For some reason here I can't manage to see the title of the 'tool' $lendoutpage->tool->title, while $lendoutpage->tool shows the id.

$lendoutpages = $pages->find("template=lendout, student_name=$page->id, sort=-lendout_time");	
	foreach($lendoutpages as $lendoutpage) 
	{	
	echo "<li><a href='{$lendoutpage->url}'>{$lendoutpage->lendout_time}: <b>{$lendoutpage->tool}/{$lendoutpage->tool->title}</b></a></li>";
	}; 

'tool' is a page reference field on the lendout page with a list of tool pages (template=tools and parent=tools).

Edited by BFD Calendar
page field = page reference field

I'm sure some people will pull out a few hairs, but it works...

$lendoutpages = $pages->find("template=lendout, student_name=$page->id, sort=-lendout_time");
	if("$lendoutpages, count > 0") {
	echo "<br><hr><span class='verdana'><b>Lendouts (only on English page!):</b></span><br>";
	};
	foreach($lendoutpages as $lendoutpage) 
	{
	if(empty("$lendoutpage->return_time")) {
	$return="<font color='red'><b>missing</b></font>";
	}
	else {
	$return="<font color='green'><b>return ok</b></font>";
	};
	echo "<li><a href='{$lendoutpage->url}'><span class='verdana'>{$lendoutpage->lendout_time}:<b>";
	$toolpages = $pages->find("template=tools, id=$lendoutpage->tool");
	foreach($toolpages as $toolpage) 
	{
	echo " | $toolpage->title";
	};
	echo "</b> -> {$return}</span></a></li>";
	}; 

Don't you need to loop that page reference field (from your original example) if it's a list of tool pages? i.e.

foreach($lendoutpages as $lendoutpage) {	
    echo "<li><a href='{$lendoutpage->url}'>{$lendoutpage->lendout_time}:</a>"; 

foreach ($lendoutpage->tool as $single_tool_page) {
      echo "<b>{$single_tool_page->title}</b>";
    }
    echo "</li>"; 
}; 

I'm not sure you need to use page->find() twice (as in your reworked example). Something like the above.

This post may be useful: