reed

Sorting by Related Page Count

Hey folks, I'm attempting to order a list of subjects based on the number of pages (not child pages) that link to each subject. The end result will look like this:

portrait — 120 items

landscape — 78 items

trees — 42 items 

beards — 8 items

etc.

I've been digging through the archive here, but I can't seem to find a solution. The issue is that I'm using wire('page')->find to get the list of subjects, and then getting the number of linked items inside the foreach — here's my code:

$subjects = wire('page')->find("template=subject, sort=title");
foreach ($subjects as $subject) {
$artwork = rendersubjectArtworkList(findartworks("subjects=$subject, limit=1"));
$count = findartworks("subjects=$subject")->count;
}

I can't figure out how to either combine my queries or re-sort the list after the call. Any ideas? 

Thanks so much for any help!

How have you linked the pages to the subjects? WIth which field(s)? Do you use an InputfieldPage for that?

What does this function do: findartworks("subjects=$subject, limit=1") ?  You call it two times.

Assuming your artworks have a template named 'artworks' and a select/ multiselect field 'subjects' of type page, where you define the type (subject) you could do the following:

$subjects = $pages->find("template=subject, sort=title")->each('title'); // get the titles of subjects (pages)
foreach ($subjects as $subject)
$artworks = $pages->find("template=artworks, subjects=$subject");
 echo $subject.' — '.$artworks->count;
}
  • Like 4

Hi Horst! Excellent questions — 

I've got pages with two different templates: artworks, and subjects. On the artwork pages, I'm using a page field (set to allow multiple pages using AsmSelect) to link to 

subjects.

kixe — that does work, but the end result is still ordered by title, and I'm attempting to reorder the list by $artworks->count; from highest to lowest. 

I'll kick it around more today, thanks for your input!

I think this must work:

$pa = new PageArray();                                     // use a PageArray to collect all subject pages
foreach($pages->find("template=subject") as $subject) {    // iterate over all subject pages
    $subject->set('myCount', $pages->find("template=artworks, subjects=$subject")->count);   // add a temporary property to it that holds the total number of linked items
    $pa->add($subject);                                    // add it to the PageArray
}
foreach($pa->sort("-myCount") as $item) {                  // sort the PageArray descending by total number and echo the title and count
    echo "<li>{$item->title} ({$item->myCount})</li>";
}
  • Like 3

horst — many thanks!

This worked perfectly. It's a pretty hefty database call, so I've limited the number of subjects to 20 to keep the TTFB down. But it works! And @Macrura, thanks for your thoughts as well - I'll keep that solve in mind — 

Here's my final function:

function rendersubjectlistsort($pages) {
	$out .="<div class='listWrapper'><div class='imageList'>";

$pa = new PageArray();
	foreach($pages->find("template=subject, limit=20") as $subject) {
	    $subject->set('myCount', findartworks("subjects=$subject")->count);   
	    $subject->set('myImg', rendersubjectArtworkList(findartworks("subjects=$subject, limit=1"))); 
	    $pa->add($subject); 
	}
	foreach($pa->sort("-myCount") as $item) {
		$out .= "<a class='listItem' href='{$item->url}'>" . 
					$item->myImg .
					"<div class='itemInfo'>" .
						"<h3>{$item->title}</h3>" . 
						"<span class='dates'>{$item->myCount} images</span>" .
						"<div style='clear:both;'></div>" .
					"</div>" .
				"</a>";

}

$out .="<div style='clear:both;'></div></div></div>";
	return $out; 

}

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Only you have to keep in mind that it doesn't scale if you do this for more and more pages.

Also note that if only counting a $pages->count(selector) is more efficient. Instead of $pages->find()->count

What I do on a shop category tree, is calculate it every time a product is saved and write the count to a integer field on the category pages. So it's like cached.

You could also use markup cache to cache the output and only let rebuild it when a product is changed.

• Like 1