Media Manager

kongondo

That's looking great, I would possibly consider having the edit button on the grid view and open in modal. So if you find the image you want to edit the description on in grid, you don't have to go into the edit mode and go looking for it again.

This is some really good stuff! I could really do with this in a recent project where there is a custom png icon set to use on the website and I wanted them to be able look through the list and select the one they want to use :-) 

Keep up the great work.

I could really do with this in a recent project where there is a custom png icon set to use on the website and I wanted them to be able look through the list and select the one they want to use :-) 

Keep up the great work.

Nice idea. I was looking into something similar today.

That's looking great, I would possibly consider having the edit button on the grid view and open in modal. So if you find the image you want to edit the description on in grid, you don't have to go into the edit mode and go looking for it again..

You won't have to. It remembers contexts: What you want is either #2 or #3 below:

1. In view mode, if you haven't searched for any media, if you click on 'edit mode' button, you will be taken to edit screen for the media type you were viewing, with the first media selected to edit. So, if in view you were on 'all' menu, you will be taken to 'all' in edit. If you were on 'image' in view mode, you will be taken to 'image' on edit mode. 
  2. If in view, you'd searched for media and got back some results, if you then clicked on 'edit mode' button, you would be taken to the edit screen for only those found items, shown one media at a time with pagination. If you got back only one result in the search, you would be taken to the edit screen of only that result (without pagination of course)
  3. If in view mode you click on the title of a media, you will be taken straight to its edit screen, no questions asked :-) See example GIF below

In any of the above scenarios, clicking the view mode button will display the media you'd just edited.

Edit mode: clicking on title of media in 'view mode' - (#3 above)

post-894-0-49310100-1452360604_thumb.gif

• Like 4

Last major feature has been implemented, so a couple of more testing and its ready.

have you thought about implementing the blueimp file uploader to it? it has built in preview (at least for mp3 and images) and supports client side image resizing. that's one thing i am missing most when it comes to image galleries!

Done. See it action here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy to announce that Media Manager (Beta 001) is ready for release!

I had to change the view/edit modes to streamline these into one unified interface. I think it works better as can be seen in the video below (or if can't access YT, see this instead).

I am working on the documentation this week and 'preparing shelves at the shop' with an aim to officially release the module next week or early the week after at the latest. If you can't wait that long and would like to get your hands on a copy soonest, please send me a PM. I am also finalising a pricing model. Initially, support will be via email.

Thanks for your patience :-)

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 8

While this looks powerful, one of the important things (USP :rolleyes:) is missing: What about the embedding context of all this media types. Speaking of responsive websites, picture elements with different image versions, device dependent scaling, video quality etc. As long as all you do is "feeding" a rich text editor that can handle one image (plus a description more or less), you don't need a extraordinary media manager IMHO. But this is only my opinion.

2nd big topic for a "respectable Digital Asset Management" as said above is rights management. A media rights management should manage: who can see, embed, delete, edit, label .. assets. Maybe a separated collection for every user role (speaking of folders again ^-^ ). Most important: access control have to be functional in resource serving context as well (means: you can't access a restricted resource, even if you know it's address).

• 4 weeks later...

Media Manager Version 002 is ready

Changes

• Specify allowed media types for a media manager field (i.e. the field you add to a template). Default is to allow all four types, i.e. audio, document, image and video. Setting is in 'Details Tab' of your media manager field
  • Set the maximum number of media allowed for a media manager field (i.e. maximum per page). Set in 'Details Tab'

Media Manager Field setting

post-894-0-92568700-1459440249_thumb.png

Example Media Manager Inputfield displays

More media can still be added

post-894-0-28333600-1459440251_thumb.png

Media Manager field (for this page) full

post-894-0-13671400-1459440254_thumb.png

• Like 5

Hey Kongondo!

Just bought the module! Awesome work!

Only a little Problem: When using the Admin Theme Reno the Link to Media Manager won't work, because the main Links are not "linked" in the same way as in the regular templates.

Two questions for my workflow:

1. Whats the best way to view the image in the frontend? Are there any MediaManager related methods?

2. Is there currently a way to categorize the images? Sometimes a bit more structure than tags only is even better! ;)

Thanks! Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your purchase. Glad you like the module.

I almost exclusively use Admin Theme Reno (and will be recommending this to others) when using Media Manager - it gives you better real estate. It works just fine for me but I notice (and maybe this is the way it works for any linked page with child pages) I have to double click on the link to make it load Media Manager. The same goes for 'Pages', 'Setup' and 'Modules' links. 

1. There is an example in the README.txt. The Easter break and illness have meant I haven't been able to finish the official documentation (mediamanager.kongondo.com). The API is quite straightforward. Note that you will first need to create a field of type Media Manager, add that to your template(s), then add media in your Media Library to the field. I have added some examples in the first post of this thread.
  2. Current its tags only. I'll see if there's a way to make this better.

Cheers,

/k

Edited by kongondo

Yes the Reno double-click got me stumped for a while before I figured it out - definitely a "gotcha".  As soon as I went back to the default theme it worked as planned - can we get a fix for this?  ATM I'd be rolling out the default Admin theme to end-users rather than trying to explain that Media Manager link works differently to every other link (and I'd prefer the Reno theme if possible).

I've had a good read through of the Readme and had a play on a test site (so I'm not totally familiar yet), loving the module so far - it's not quite as easy to use as the Wordpress media manager (which is what end users will be comparing to frankly - and maybe limited by being a bolt-on rather than in the core), but an exciting start!

Really love the "versions" of the image that can be created from duplicates with different cropping etc.

Couple of quick ones:

- Even if a field is listed as Image it still shows tabs for Audio/Document/Video which I thought was a bit counter-intuitive (or maybe only happens as a superadmin?).

- Took me a while to figure out which image was active/highlighted in the modal view - maybe a highlight box around or something would be good rather than just the black highlighted name text (or maybe I was just being dense at the time). Same goes for the Edit & Crop buttons on the active image overlay.

- Would like to be able to upload directly dropping into the image list rather than having to go to a separate tab (what I'm aiming for is to have a field that is Image only, so end users just see the Image tab and can select from there as well as drag n drop upload on that same div).  

- Maybe make it more obvious once media is inserted into a page field (should the media manager window close then?).  I found myself adding media multiple times because I didn't realise it'd updated after clicking "Insert Media".

All just minor UX things, and some of it might just be me (therefore, end users) getting familiar with it.  

Great job Kongondo.  This module is getting me closer to doing everything on PW rather than the few that I still do on WP when media management is more important to clients than a good CMS.

The double click issue for Media Manager admin link in Reno looks like it can be solved by setting the Media Manager sub pages to hidden.  Not sure if that breaks anything else (didn't seem to in my quick test) but appears the system is looking for children pages hence the empty dropdown and requirement to double click to go to the main MM admin page.

• Like 1

Brilliant find! Thanks. I will need to make a couple of changes e.g. so that upload settings can be displayed and saved. There might be other minor changes needed as well. Will include this in version 003.

Edited by kongondo
clarified stuff

Yes the Reno double-click got me stumped for a while before I figured it out - definitely a "gotcha".  As soon as I went back to the default theme it worked as planned - can we get a fix for this?  ATM I'd be rolling out the default Admin theme to end-users rather than trying to explain that Media Manager link works differently to every other link (and I'd prefer the Reno theme if possible).

You subsequently found a brilliant solution for this, so thanks.

It's not quite as easy to use as the Wordpress media manager (which is what end users will be comparing to frankly - and maybe limited by being a bolt-on rather than in the core), but an exciting start!

Never used/tested the WP one. Maybe I should have a look.

- Even if a field is listed as Image it still shows tabs for Audio/Document/Video which I thought was a bit counter-intuitive (or maybe only happens as a superadmin?).

Do you mean in the Inputfield (what you see when editing a ProcessWire page with a Media Manager field) or in the Media Library itself? I ask because there are no tabs in the former. The settings for fields only affect individual fields and are not universally applied to the Media Library (the manager itself). But there was a bug in the former in the text being displayed in the Inputfield and I fixed that in MM version 002.

Took me a while to figure out which image was active/highlighted in the modal view - maybe a highlight box around or something would be good rather than just the black highlighted name text (or maybe I was just being dense at the time). Same goes for the Edit & Crop buttons on the active image overlay

I grappled with this (the first part of your statement) during development and settled for highlighting the title with a view to revisiting in the future. Will have a look again. As for the Edit and Crop buttons, I don't understand what you mean. Please clarify.

Would like to be able to upload directly dropping into the image list rather than having to go to a separate tab (what I'm aiming for is to have a field that is Image only, so end users just see the Image tab and can select from there as well as drag n drop upload on that same div).

Am not sure I follow. Are you talking about the Media Library or a Media Manager field - Inputfield?

Maybe make it more obvious once media is inserted into a page field (should the media manager window close then?).  I found myself adding media multiple times because I didn't realise it'd updated after clicking "Insert Media".

Media Manager displays a notice (success or failure notices) when you select media and click on 'Insert Media'. Are you not seeing this in your tests? As for closing the modal window, the idea is that one may want to insert more media from other Media Library pages not currently in view. Closing the window would mean they have to open the modal again in order to insert the other media. I have explained this in the (upcoming) documentation so as not to confuse users.

Edited by kongondo

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LuisM
      Symprowire is a PHP MVC Framework based and built on Symfony using ProcessWire 3.x as DBAL and Service-Provider
      It acts as a Drop-In Replacement Module to handle the Request/Response outside the ProcessWire Admin. Even tough Symfony or any other mature MVC Framework could be intimidating at first, Symprowire tries to abstract Configuration and Symfony Internals away as much as possible to give you a quick start and lift the heavy work for you.
      The main Goal is to give an easy path to follow an MVC Approach during development with ProcessWire and open up the available eco-system.
      You can find the GitHub Repo and more Information here: https://github.com/Luis85/symprowire
      Documentation
      The Symprowire Wiki https://github.com/Luis85/symprowire/wiki How to create a simple Blog with Symprowire https://github.com/Luis85/symprowire/wiki/Symprowire-Blog-Tutorial Last Update
      16.07.2021 // RC 1 v0.6.0 centralized ProcessWire access trough out the Application by wrapping to a Service https://github.com/Luis85/symprowire/releases/tag/v0.6.0-rc-1 Requirements
      PHP ^7.4 Fresh ProcessWire ^3.0.181 with a Blank Profile Composer 2 (v1 should work, not recommended) The usual Symfony Requirements Features
      Twig Dependency Injection Monolog for Symprowire Support for .env YAML Configuration Symfony Console and Console Commands Symfony Webprofiler Full ProcessWire access inside your Controller and Services Webpack Encore support Caveats
      Symfony is no small Framework and will come with a price in terms of Memory Usage and added Overhead. To give you a taste I installed Tracy Debugger alongside to compare ProcessWire profiling with the included Symfony Webprofiler

So in a fresh install Symprowire would atleast add another 2MB of Memory usage and around 40ms in response time, should be less in production due to the added overhead of the Webprofiler in dev env

• By FireWire
      Hello community!

I want to share a new module I've been working on that I think could be a big boost for multi-language ProcessWire sites.

Some background, I was looking for a way for our company website to be efficiently translated as working with human translators was pretty laborious and a lack of updating content created a divergence between languages. I, and several other devs here, have talked about translation integrations and have recognized the power that DeepL has. DeepL is an AI deep learning powered service that delivers translation quality beyond any automated service available. After access to the API was opened up to the US, I built Fluency, a DeepL translation integration for ProcessWire.
      Fluency brings automated translation to every multi-language field in the admin, and also provides a translation tool allowing the user to translate their text to any language without it being inside a template's field. With Fluency you can:
      Translate any plain textarea or text input Translate any CKEditor content (yes, with markup) Translate page names for fully localized URLs on every page Translate your in-template translation function wrapped strings Translate modules Fluency is free, and now so is DeepL
      Since this module was first built DeepL has introduced free Developer accounts that allow anyone to start using Fluency at zero cost and beginning with the version 0.3.0 release Fluency now supports free DeepL accounts. As of June 2021 DeepL supports translation to 26 languages and continues to offer more!
      Installation and usage is completely plug and play. Whether you're building a new multi-language site, need to update a site to multi-language, or simply want to stop manually translating a site and make any language a one-click deal, it could not be easier to do it. Fluency works by having you match the languages configured in ProcessWIre to DeepL's. You can have your site translating to any or all of the languages DeepL translates to in minutes (quite literally).
      Let's break out the screenshots...
      When the default language tab is shown, a message is displayed to let users know that translation is available. Clicking on each tab shows a link that says "Translate from English". Clicking it shows an animated overlay with the word "Translating..." cycling through each language and a light gradient shift. Have a CKEditor field? All good. Fluency will translated it and use DeepL's ability to translate text within HTML tags. CKEditor fields can be translated as easily and accurately as text/textarea fields.

Repeaters and AJAX created fields also have translation enabled thanks to a JavaScript MutationObserver that searches for multi-language fields and adds translation as they're inserted into the DOM. If there's a multi-language field on the page, it will have translation added.

Same goes for image description fields. Multi-language SEO friendly images are good to go.

Creating a new page from one of your templates? Translate your title, and also translate your page name for native language URLs. (Not available for Russian, Chinese, or Japanese languages due to URL limitations). These can be changed in the "Settings" tab for any page as well so whether you're translating new pages or existing pages, you control the URLs everywhere.

Language configuration pages are no different. Translate the names of your languages and search for both Site Translation Files (including all of your modules)

Translate all of the static text in your templates as well. Notice that the placeholders are retained. DeepL is pretty good at recognizing and keeping non-translatable strings like that. If it is changed, it's easy to fix manually.

Fluency adds a "Translate" item to the CMS header. When clicked this opens up a modal with a full translation tool that lets the user translate any language to any language. No need to leave the admin if you need to translate content from a secondary language back to the default ProcessWire language. There is also a button to get the current API usage statistics. DeepL account owners can set billing limitations via character count to control costs. This may help larger sites or sites being retrofitted keep an eye on their usage. Fluency can be used by users having roles given the fluency-translate permission.

It couldn't be easier to add Fluency to your new or existing website. Simply add your API key and you're shown what languages are currently available for translation from/to as provided by DeepL. This list and all configuration options are taken live from the API so when DeepL releases new languages you can add them to your site without any work. No module updates, just an easy configuration. Just match the language you configured in ProcessWire to the DeepL language you want it to be associated with and you're done. Fluency also allows you to create a list of words/phrases that will not be translated which can prevent items such as brands and company names from being translated when they shouldn't

Limitations:
      No "translate page" - Translating multiple fields can be done by clicking multiple translation links on multiple fields at once but engineering a "one click page translate" is not feasible from a user experience standpoint. The time it takes to translate one field can be a second or two, but cumulatively that may take much longer (CKEditor fields are slower than plain text fields). There may be a workaround in the future but it isn't currently on the roadmap. No "translate site" - Same thing goes for translating an entire website at once. It would be great, but it would be a very intense process and take a very (very) long time. There may be a workaround in the future but it isn't on the roadmap. No current support for Inline CKEditor fields - Handling for CKEditor on-demand hasn't been implemented yet, this is planned for a future release though and can be done. I just forgot about it because I've never really used that feature personally.. Alpha release - This module is in alpha. Releases should be stable and usable, but there may be edge case issues. Test the module thoroughly and please report any bugs via a Github issue on the repository or respond here. Please note that the browser plugin for Grammarly conflicts with Fluency (as it does with many web applications). To address this issue it is recommended that you disable Grammarly when using Fluency, or open the admin to edit pages in a private window where Grammarly may not be loaded. This is an issue that may not have a resolution as creating a workaround may not be possible. If you have insight as to how this may be solved please visit the Github page and file a bugfix ticket.
      Requirements:
      ProcessWire  3.0+ UIKit Admin Theme That's Fluency in a nutshell. A core effort in this module is to create it so that there is nothing DeepL related hard-coded in that would require updating it when DeepL offers new languages. I would like this to be a future-friendly module that doesn't require developer work to keep it up-to-date.
      The Module Is Free
      This is my first real module and I want to give it back to the community as thanks. This is the best CMS I've worked with (thank you Ryan & contributors) and a great community (thank you dear reader).
      DeepL Developer Accounts
      In addition to paid Pro Developer accounts, DeepL now offers no-cost free accounts. Now all ProcessWire developers and users can use Fluency at no cost.
      Learn more about free and paid accounts by visiting the DeepL website. Sign up for a Developer account, get an API key, and start using Fluency today.
      Download & Feedback
      Download the latest version here
      https://github.com/SkyLundy/Fluency-Translation/archive/main.zip
      Github repository:
      https://github.com/SkyLundy/Fluency-Translation
      File issues and feature requests here (your feedback and testing is greatly appreciated):
      https://github.com/SkyLundy/Fluency-Translation/issues

Thank you! ¡Gracias! Ich danke Ihnen! Merci! Obrigado! Grazie! Dank u wel! Dziękuję! Спасибо! ありがとうございます! 谢谢你!

• By tcnet
      PageViewStatistic for ProcessWire is a module to log page visits of the CMS. The records including some basic information like IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. Please note that this module doesn't claim to be the best or most accurate.
      Advantages
      One of the biggest advantage is that this module doesn't require any external service like Google Analytics or similar. You don't have to modify your templates either. There is also no Javascript or image required.
      Disadvantages
      There is only one disadvantage. This module doesn't record visits if the browser loads the page from its browser cache. To prevent the browser from loading the page from its cache, add the following meta tags to the header of your page:
      <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate" /> <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" /> <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="0" /> How to use
      The records can be accessed via the Setup-menu of the CMS backend. The first dropdown control changes the view mode.

Detailed records
      View mode "Detailed records" shows all visits of the selected day individually with IP-address, browser, operating system, requested page and originate page. Click the update button to see new added records.

Cached visitor records
      View modes other than "Detailed records" are cached visitor counts which will be collected on a daily basis from the detailed records. This procedure ensures a faster display even with a large number of data records. Another advantage is that the detailed records can be deleted while the cache remains. The cache can be updated manually or automatically in a specified time period. Multiple visits from the same IP address on the same day are counted as a single visitor.

Upgrade from older versions
      Cached visitor counts is new in version 1.0.8. If you just upgraded from an older version you might expire a delay or even an error 500 if you display cached visitor counts. The reason for this is that the cache has to be created from the records. This can take longer if your database contains many records. Sometimes it might hit the maximally execution time. Don't worry about that and keep reloading the page until the cache is completely created.
      Special Feature
      PageViewStatistic for ProcessWire can record the time a visitor viewed the page. This feature is deactivated by default. To activate open the module configuration page and activate "Record view time". If activated you will find a new column "S." in the records which means the time of view in seconds. With every page request, a Javascript code is inserted directly after the <body> tag. Every time the visitor switches to another tab or closes the tab, this script reports the number of seconds the tab was visible. The initial page request is recorded only as a hyphen (-).

New in version 1.1.0
      A new feature comes with version 1.1.0 which offers to record user names of loggedin visitors. Just activate "Record user names" and "Record loggedin user" in the module settings.
      Settings
      You can access the module settings by clicking the Configuration button at the bottom of the records page. The settings page is also available in the menu: Modules->Configure->ProcessPageViewStat.
      IP2Location
      This module uses the IP2Location database from: http://www.ip2location.com. This database is required to obtain the country from the IP address. IP2Location updates this database at the begin of every month. The settings of ProcessPageViewStat offers the ability to automatically download the database monthly. Please note, that automatically download will not work if your webspace doesn't allow allow_url_fopen.
      Dragscroll
      This module uses DragScroll. A JavaScript available from: http://github.com/asvd/dragscroll. Dragscroll adds the ability in view mode "Day" to drag the records horizontally with the mouse pointer.
      parseUserAgentStringClass
      This module uses the PHP class parseUserAgentStringClass available from: http://www.toms-world.org/blog/parseuseragentstring/. This class is required to filter out the browser type and operating system from the server request.
    • By clsource
      Inertia Adapter ProcessWire Module
      Hello! Long time no see.
      I created this module so you can use Inertia.js (https://inertiajs.com/) with ProcessWire.
      Description
      Inertia allows you to create fully client-side rendered, single-page apps, without much of the complexity that comes with modern SPAs. It does this by leveraging existing server-side frameworks.
      Inertia isn’t a framework, nor is it a replacement to your existing server-side or client-side frameworks. Rather, it’s designed to work with them. Think of Inertia as glue that connects the two. Inertia comes with three official client-side adapters (React, Vue, and Svelte).
      This is an adapter for ProcessWire. Inertia replaces PHP views altogether by returning JavaScript components from controller actions. Those components can be built with your frontend framework of choice.
      Links
      - https://github.com/joyofpw/inertia
      - https://github.com/joyofpw/inertia-svelte-mix-pw
      - https://inertiajs.com/
      Screenshots

• By sms77io
      Hi all,
      we made a small module for sending SMS via Sms77.io. It supports sending to one and multiple users.
      You can download it from GitHub and follow the instructions on how to install it - it is quite easy. An API key is required for sending, get yours for free @ Sms77 and receive 0,50 €.
      Hope this helps somebody and we are open for improvement suggestions!

Best regards
      André