Media Manager Archive

kongondo

27 minutes ago, David Karich said:

Apropos: I never received a download link for the update to 012 by mail. Or do I have to buy a new license?

Subscriptions (update + VIP support) are valid for 1 year. After that you can renew for a fraction of the original price. Otherwise, I don't send out update reminders but post here in the forums. If you have a valid subscription, you can use the resend download links form to get an email with the download link to the latest version (or use the link in the original email you received after purchase). For renewals, please use the renewal form. Any problems, please PM or send me an email.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Each media is a PW page, hidden in admin part of the tree. Non-supersusers never get to see them :-).

@kongondo To prevent a misunderstanding: each media is stored in the database, not in the file system?

33 minutes ago, Lutz said:

@kongondo To prevent a misunderstanding: each media is stored in the database, not in the file system?

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Media = $page

Media has one MM field. In the case of images, it is an multi image field. So $page->image_field will give you the image

Media has a title field: $page->title;// title of your media

If you had own fields to Media, you can access them using $page->your_field, as usual.

However, we don't use the variable $page. Instead what you get is a MediaManager Object.

So, Media page object is $mm.

Echo $mm->id: id of the media

Echo $mm->title;

// this is the image field

foreach($mm->media) {

}

Hope this makes sense.

31 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Hope this makes sense.

@kongondo Yes, thank you, this is what I had expected and hoped for. My question was in terms of scalability, regarding file system limits. In PW, files are stored in subdirectories under /site/assets/files, therefore we normally have to deal with max directory limits (e.g. 32k). We have $config->pagefileExtendedPaths, but it's marked as beta. So as you mentioned +500k, I hoped for an info regarding the stability of pagefileExtendedPaths (or another way to avoid collisions with max directory limits). When they manage +500k, did they enable pagefileExtendedPaths?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this awesome module! Here is some feedback after some hours of testing: When using MediaManager along with Ryan’s ProDrafts, I had to manually disable ProDrafts support for the MediaManager specific templates. Otherwise, inserted images from the MediaManager would not display in the saved pages (neither drafts nor published versions). I figure this was because the images in MediaManager were by default also handled as drafts. After disabling ProDrafts for the MediaManager templates, everything – including working with drafts – works just fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tb76 said:

Thanks for this awesome module!

Glad you like it.

11 hours ago, tb76 said:

I figure this was because the images in MediaManager were by default also handled as drafts. After disabling ProDrafts for the MediaManager templates, everything – including working with drafts – works just fine.

Thanks for testing and reporting back. I guess it doesn't make much sense to have a draft media (i.e. using ProDrafts). However, if you have added other fields to your Media Manager templates, you might want those to work with drafts. Hmm. I've never used ProDrafts before but you've given me something to think about.

Hi kongondo,

one of our customers asks, if it would be possible to write out not only the usage amount of media manager items, but also all usages as list with concrete info about field, page etc. I know, this isn't going to be easy, but maybe it's worth the effort, if other users reported the same idea?

Greetings,

Thomas.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, xportde said:

one of our customers asks, if it would be possible to write out not only the usage amount of media manager items, but also all usages as list with concrete info about field, page etc. I know, this isn't going to be easy, but maybe it's worth the effort, if other users reported the same idea?

Hi Thomas,

I'll have a think. The interface will need careful thought as it would need to be separate from the tooltip.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 3:09 PM, kongondo said:

However, two people have reported an error about class ProcessMediaManager not found in line 20 of MediaManagerUtilities.

Three people now! haha

Any news on this bug?? Thanks!

I rolled back but now I am having issues with JqueryUpload version 008 working, tried rolling back to 002 but I still can't open when I click on Add Media on any of the pages, getting:

Uncaught Error: Class 'ProcessWire\JqueryFileUpload' not found in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/ladosis/public/site/modules/ProcessMediaManager/ProcessMediaManager.module:209

Ok this took me through a tour of namespacing issuer all over the MediaManager modules and got it working back. 

On 7/31/2019 at 6:23 AM, elabx said:

Three people now! haha

Any news on this bug?? Thanks!

I rolled back but now I am having issues with JqueryUpload version 008 working, tried rolling back to 002 but I still can't open when I click on Add Media on any of the pages, getting:

Uncaught Error: Class 'ProcessWire\JqueryFileUpload' not found in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/ladosis/public/site/modules/ProcessMediaManager/ProcessMediaManager.module:209

Ok this took me through a tour of namespacing issuer all over the MediaManager modules and got it working back. 

Hey @elabx,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have just tested in a new PW install with only 3 modules: MM, JFU and Tracy. I had to click on Clear Compiled Files 3 or 4 times for it to finally work. Here's what I did.

1. Upgrade JqueryFileUpload by overwriting the existing files
  2. Delete MediaManagerTabs.php and pocketgrid.css in the current (old) Media Manager install
  3. Overwrite MM version 011 files with version 012 files
  4. Access Media Manager
  5. You might see Class not found error (either MediaManagerUtilities or JqueryFileUpload
  6. Access Modules (on same tab in #4) and click on Clear Compiled Files
  7. Once step #6 is finished, click browser back button to go back to Media Manager.
  8. If you get class error again, repeat steps 6 - 7 as necessary

Please let me know if this works for you. Thanks.

• Like 1

@kongondo Finally managed to updated!! But you know what, now I didn't have to clear anything, it just worked after a module refresh!! Just so you have more info, the only difference was that I namespaced the old modules (in a desperate attempt to bring back everything to work because it kind of broke after I rolled back from my first install failure). honestly don't have very clear what happened, but indeed the new version works flawlessly.

Questions/issues: 

• I don't seem to be able to drag and drop over the Inputfield. I can give you access to my site if you need to debug.
  • I cannot seem to find the edit button for the image description now, the one that was placed at the top right? Is there a new way to edit the descriptions? Appending how my images look when I click on them.   Jut realized now this is done in a normal, maybe you could enable an Edit link right on the Inputfield? At least on my site it's not showing, I'd guess that's the most practical for editors, instead of opening the Media Manager Popup.
  • I cannot get the alt text on images placed in CKEditor to update accordingly, I also have the setting updated in the Inputfield configuration, have you had any issues with this?

All my questions crossed where solved configuring the Inputfield :)

This is a GREAT update kongondo! I know this has been mentioned before but the improvement in the UI is a huge plus! I see you mentioned you have a lot of users that had never mentioned this, but in my case as with other PW users, all my clients complained about the lack of polish in UI, but this update really solves a lot of the inconveniences. 

10 hours ago, elabx said:

Just so you have more info, the only difference was that I namespaced the old modules

Aah, nice workaround. I never thought to do that ?.

This is a GREAT update kongondo! I know this has been mentioned before but the improvement in the UI is a huge plus! I see you mentioned you have a lot of users that had never mentioned this, but in my case as with other PW users, all my clients complained about the lack of polish in UI, but this update really solves a lot of the inconveniences. 

Glad you like it :-).

I cannot get the alt text on images placed in CKEditor to update accordingly, I also have the setting updated in the Inputfield configuration, have you had any issues with this?

I don't follow. What is this alt text please? Please clarify which inputfield configuration, CKEditor or MM?

Full documentation is available here, by the way :-).

Thanks.

Edited by kongondo

5 hours ago, kongondo said:

I don't follow. What is this alt text please? Please clarify which inputfield configuration, CKEditor or MM?

When you insert an image through CKEditor, ideally I'd want to grab the description from the image's description field. CKEditor Inputfields fields have an option called "Image management" that should enable this:

https://processwire.com/docs/fields/textarea-fieldtype/#markup-html-option

I just can't get this to work well, if I add a new image to the text fields, their descriptions are not pulled from the images. 

My bad again man, I kept on reviewing this on the CKeditor source and just realized this is done on runtime. 

• 4 weeks later...

@kongondo Thank you for that module. Befor I go and order it, I'd like to make sure that the feature my client needs is included already.

For that client each media item should be available as a public download. So in the list of media in the manager there should be something like a button to copy that public link and when editing media that public link should be displayed also.

I guess the module needs some customizing to do this. Would this be possible through hooks? Especially for the media lists in the manager. Are there hooks available where I could inject some markup or even an extra column in list view?

Since all media are pages, I guess I can hook into ProcessPageEdit for those templates and add the link to display in the page editor screen? 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, gebeer said:

So in the list of media in the manager there should be something like a button to copy that public link and when editing media that public link should be displayed also.

Where is the link being copied from?

On 8/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, gebeer said:

Since all media are pages, I guess I can hook into ProcessPageEdit for those templates and add the link to display in the page editor screen? 

Yes, but Media Manager methods are currently not hookable. I'm not sure you've seen it, but Media Manager allows you to add your own (ProcessWire) fields to the media pages templates. Those will then be displayed in the list (table) view if you configure them to be displayed in Media Manager settings. However, you will not be able to edit the values directly in the table view. Instead, each media has an edit link that when clicked will open the full page for editing - this is a normal (almost) ProcessWire page edit form. You can use it to edit any of the fields in the template as well as the media themselves. In the frontend you access them as $m->your_public_link_field. I hope this makes sense. If not, please let me know.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi kongondo!

Recently, I used Media Manager in a client project. In this real world use case, the media library very quickly grew to an extent, where it was too confusing for the client. Of course I know how to apply filters, but for my client, configuring and applying filters was to complicated - even with the relatively new feature of pre-defined filters. So I thought I would ask you, if you could image to implement some additional filter-features, that would make it easier for clients:

- It would be great, if it was possible to set a default filter for every MediaManager-Field. I have a lot of different "image-types", like icons, fotos, sketches and so on. With such a feature, it would be possible to limit the displayed images to just the "type" of image, that suits the context of the current MediaManager-field. Like when applying some product icons, you don't want to choose from the whole library with all the staff portraits.

- Another great feature would be, if pre-defined filters could be applied with one click in the overview. I tried to sketch this in a fake screenshot:

image.png.e2ba4df88805529eb8e8537ea84bd795.png

In this way, an admin could pre-define all needed filters, and the user/client could just apply them with one click - without worrying about or even understanding the actual filter definition.

I guess those features don't exist already, but if so, I would be very happy, if you could point me to any existing solution.
Otherwise it would be great to have those - or similar - features in a future version.

Thanks again for the great module!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:33 PM, nurkka said:

Recently, I used Media Manager in a client project. In this real world use case, the media library very quickly grew to an extent, where it was too confusing for the client.

Hi @nurkka. Sorry for the late response. I have been away.

It would be great, if it was possible to set a default filter for every MediaManager-Field. I have a lot of different "image-types", like icons, fotos, sketches and so on. With such a feature, it would be possible to limit the displayed images to just the "type" of image, that suits the context of the current MediaManager-field. Like when applying some product icons, you don't want to choose from the whole library with all the staff portraits.

This is an excellent suggestion! I'll have a think on how to best implement it but theoretically, it is doable.

In this way, an admin could pre-define all needed filters, and the user/client could just apply them with one click - without worrying about or even understanding the actual filter definition

Another great suggestion! I would have to rethink the GUI a bit since tabs (Filter: Icons, Filter:Photos, etc) would quickly become unwieldy. 

On a related note, I have been planning to refactor the items shown in the Inputfield Selector (the filters) as there are a number of things not directly relevant to Media Manager that would confuse editors. For instance, the Inputfield shows non-Media Manager fields, items like Path/URL, etc.

I am planning to work on your suggestions and the refactoring in the next update.

I might call on you for a bit of testing before release, if that's OK.

Thanks. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi kongondo,

because there's no option for limiting uploaded images to image width and/or height in MM settings (or is there?), we've found out, that the PW-native image field limitations from the underlaying field media_manager_image works (input > maximum image dimensions). Unfortunately, this restriction works quiet, i.e. the MM-upload will be finished without error or warning, but the image will correctly not stored because of violating the image field dimension rules.

Would it be possible to apply the image field rules already in MM upload screen, so that the user can see possible violations before start uploading (like the maximum file size rule from MM settings)?

Greetings,

Thomas.

1 hour ago, xportde said:

there's no option for limiting uploaded images to image width and/or height in MM settings (or is there?),

Actually, there is ?. See under Settings > Upload Settings > Image. There are settings for min/max height and min/max width. These are directly coupled to the the field's (media_manager_image) corresponding settings. If you change one it will change the other. However, I have just noticed a bug. The min values are decoupled! This shouldn't matter much though since Media Manager will still honour the min values. I will fix these later (i.e. the 'decoupling' issue).

1 hour ago, xportde said:

so that the user can see possible violations before start uploading (like the maximum file size rule from MM settings)?

Excellent suggestion! I will add this to my TODO as well. 

NO ETA for above, just yet, sorry. I hope it isn't urgent?

Thanks!

Actually, there is ?. See under Settings > Upload Settings > Image. There are settings for min/max height and min/max width

Do you mean Image maximum width / height? So I misunderstood the notes Maximum width / height of resized images (pixels), I thought, this settings are for resizing, not for uploading? But in fact, it corresponds with the equivalent image fields. Maybe you could write the notes accordingly (Max width / height for uploaded images)?

Greetings, Thomas.

• kongondo changed the title to Media Manager Archive
  • kongondo pinned and locked this topic