ProcessWire IRC Channel

netcarver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice find diogo.

I wish I used the IRC more. Combination of never having 'got' IRC just in terms of how to use it efficiently plus the usual distractions mean I nearly never use the IRC but always wish I did :/ And as this forum is so good, perhaps this might further leverage the good that the IRC has done and maybe get people like me (surely there aren't any of those tho') back into participating more.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, I don't use IRC, and I don't particularly like chat channels for technical things.

So if y'all move information about processwire to IRC I won't ever see it, which only diminishes processwire's usefulness to me.  It's already bad enough having no overall documentation and relying on forums for learning, siphoning off expertise to IRC will only make it harder to learn this system.

$0.000000000000000000002

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Doug G said:

You know, I don't use IRC, and I don't particularly like chat channels for technical things.

So if y'all move information about processwire to IRC I won't ever see it, which only diminishes processwire's usefulness to me.  It's already bad enough having no overall documentation and relying on forums for learning, siphoning off expertise to IRC will only make it harder to learn this system.

$0.000000000000000000002

Do you really believe you will get less answers to your questions on the forum due to the existence of IRC and Slack channels? Information will not be moved anywhere. Chat channels are just a different mode of communication, one where you have the advantage of rapid-fire interviewing regarding some problem.

My typical use of IRC is coordinating work on open source software. Thus, IRC (or Slack, or Telegram etc. - these can all be bridged to unify communication) could be used as a way for ProcessWire's documentation team (does it exist yet?) to efficiently collaborate in producing documentation. See, how it's really apples to oranges, right tool for the job etc.?

46 minutes ago, szabesz said:

While I generally agree with @Beluga's reply, it should be mentioned that it is hard to control the conversation of a chat room regarding what sort of topics can be discussed there. So I do understand @Doug G's concerns, especially as @Pete mentions: "...or get help in a hurry if someone's there." 

Doug G's concern was that documentation moves to IRC, not if people want to discuss their cats and dogs on #processwire, or did I misunderstand you?

I don't think anyone sees the forums or chat as a solution for lack of documentation. Please treat this lack as a problem of its own and do not muddle it with communication/user support channels.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doug G said:

relying on forums for learning

It is at least possible to use the forum to learn from others, but not practical and rather hard to do it on IRC. Forum content is searchable and somewhat organized, while IRC is not. The latter is good for what you normally use it for. Forum is a usable replacement for in-depth docs and/or books. I think this is what he meant. If so, I agree :)