Web hosting?

diogo

https://www.hostpoint.ch/ a Swiss hosting recommended by Soma, some posts above and some years ago, has a very interesting feature: You can create a free account and add websites to it, but you can also be invited to work on other peoples sites. This is great because you can tell your clients to easily create their own account and simply give you authorisation to work on their website. no messing around with them giving you them passwords, or you having to create their account by yourself frequently involving payments. Nothing new, if you think of how any modern app uses this system for collaboration, but I don't see it a lot in hosting.

Does anyone knows of other hosting that allows for this? Would be great to find one in the EU :)

despite of the ones i already work with i would give uberspace a try as soon as their is an opportunity to do so. i like the minimal approach and the friendliness.

The problem with uberspace is that it clearly depends on which virual machine you will get assigned to. Some have great performance, some are rather slow. It's a great service, but usually I had problems with sites runninng highres image stuff. For example, the initial resizing of images seem to take ages sometimes because of CPU workload.

It just depends on your individual project.

... but you can also be invited to work on other peoples sites. This is great because you can tell your clients to easily create their own account and simply give you authorisation to work on their website

Digital Ocean provides that feature now. You can assign access for developers. Didn't try yet.

site5 backstage allows clients to assign you to their account, so that you can 'switch' accounts to the client account when you are logged in and post support tickets, and depending on what type of account they have you can access the whm or cpanel, and setup ftp user etc..

• 2 months later...

It depends a bit on the type of site, it's target audience en what you are looking for in a webhost. Specific to a country or international? (managed)VPS or just shared hosting? In my experience PW runs fine on every decent host. If you tell a little bit more i'm sure you'll get some recommendations.

I was thinking if it's a good idea to host it in Asia because this website is mainly for Asia customers , I'm sure there are lots of good hosting here in Europe, but I'm concerned with the latency, I never hosted in Asia, so any ideas will be good.

Linode is amazing and has datacenters in Tokyo and Singapore

Been using Linode for years, and so far everything has worked out great. Don't have experience with their managed solutions and haven't had a single reason to directly contact support so far, so can't speak for those :)