Bulk Editing for Pages?

renobird

Hello All,

Is there currently a native method or module that would allow me to make bulk edits?

For example, I need to change the template that 2 dozen pages use — editing them one at a time is taking quite a bit of time.

I haven't had to delete a lot of pages yet, but I can see where that could get tedious too.

*I suppose I could just update the DB via SQL, but ideally I'd like to be able to stay in the admin.

No there's no module yet, but was discussed and mentioned a couple times.

I think there's a guy doing something concerning this, but no clue what and how good it will be. http://clintonskakun...rocesswiresexy/

I'm sure something could be done with my datatable module http://processwire.c.../704-datatable/ also provides some nice, not bulk, but faster editing workflow now with the latest "wiretab" stay on tab settings feature.

I know there's easy approaches doing a module for this, that would make a custom admin page output markup table with pulldowns that lets you select template and save in a row. It surely something that will come in some form sooner or later.

Remember you can do some really advanced cool stuff "very" easily with PW API and modules what ever type.

I also always have a tool.php in the root when developing. And do some operations via API from there. Though not something everyone is to his likes.

You could also add something like following in a template and load the page:

$pa = $pages->find("parent=/portfolio/,template=basic-page");
foreach($pa as $p) $p->set("template","advanced-template")->save();

or in a php with bootstrap

include("./index.php");

$pa = wire("pages")->find("parent=/portfolio/, template=basic-page");
foreach($pa as $p) $p->set("template","advanced-template")->save();

Edit: corrected and simplifed code example :D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

hello forum,

i would like to bulk add new (sub)pages via the api. how would you do that?

and - sorry if this is a silly question, i'm still learning - i wonder where functions such as delete() or save() come from? are they part of the pw api and if so, are they documented somewhere? or are they native php functions?

sorry again, i'm not a php professional at all ... 

thanks for your answers.

EDIT: Found answers to part 2 of my question: save() and delete() are methods for the $page object. however, still stuck on how you would add new pages in a rush.

Edited by totoff

The forum is full of example for it if you search for it enough :D

Basic code needed to add new pages would be.

$np = new Page(); // create new page object
$np->template = "basic-page";
$np->parent = "/about/"; // or id or page object 
$np->title = "Hello World";
$np->save();

It's very easy once you get the hang of it. There's a lot more you can do and sometimes it can be handy to know it to import stuff and create pages via API or in modules.

If you want to can take a look at my super duper page creation tool, which is a work in progress but you can add endless amount of pages while looking TV.

http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2138-process-tools-create-pages-wip/

• Like 1

hi soma,

thanks for your reply. in fact i did search the forum before posting and i found a lot of examples on how to add a single page via the api including your own example given in this thread.

however, what i'm unsure about is how one would add more than one page in a rush. i found some information in the forum that seemed to be helpful and the import() method in the api, but still unsure how to do it. i'm sure one needs to create an array holding the necessary page information and than iterate over it with foreach... but how exactly?

i already have a parent page and need to create about 50 subpages. if you could set me on the right track i would greatly appreciate.

thanks for pointing me to your very helpful module. but for the sake of my learning curve i would love to find out how to do it via the api before i fall back to a module.

Maybe something like this then, extending from Soma's example:

$titles = array('first', 'second', 'third');foreach($titles as $title) {  $np = new Page();  $np->parent = '/path/to/your/parent/page/';  $np->template = 'basic-page';  $np->title = $title;  $np->save();}

So there's no need for WireArray or PageArray here, nor import() - which has nothing to do with creating new pages but importing Page objects into a PageArray.

And if you'd want to import some more data in there at once, take at look at this as well: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/import-pages-csv/

• Like 5

• 4 years later...

Thanks @Soma, I just created an array in Sublime Text in 3mins and then used a for loop and a modified version your code to create 62 pages in a click, continually amazed by the simple power of PW.

PS: This was my code, it's obvious/simple, but just in case there's someone looking for a simple example (caution, only call the function once as it just blasts new pages into creation ;)

function make_pages() {
	$out ='';

$mypages = array("1st Degree", "2nd Degree", "3rd Degree", "Abdomen", "Allergic Reaction", "Anger And Indignation", "Animal Bites", "Back", "Bad Fish", "Bad Meat", "Beesting", "Blow To Eardrum", "Blow To Eyes", "Blow To Orbit", "Blow To Outer Ear", "Blow/whiplash", "Body Injury", "Breathway Constriction", "Bruises", "Burns", "Cold", "Crushed Fingers", "Dizziness and Vertigo", "Dog Bites", "Ear", "Emotional Upset", "Extremeities", "Eye", "Fainting/collapse", "Fall On Mouth/teeth", "Fear And Fright", "Food Poisoning", "Fractures", "Frostbite", "General", "Grief And Betrayl", "Head", "Heat", "Heatstroke", "Insect Bites", "Joint Sprain", "Mouth", "Muscular Strains", "Neck", "Nerve Injury", "Nose", "Nosebleed", "Overeating", "Overuse Of Alcohol, Drugs, Tabaco, Food", "Physical Injury", "Poison Ivy", "Puncture Wounds", "Rich Food", "Shock And Loss Of Love", "Skin Rash, Swells", "Snake Bites", "Splinters", "Stomach", "Sunburn/burns", "Teeth", "Throat", "Wounds, Cuts");

$out = count($mypages);

for ($counter = 0; $counter < count($mypages); $counter++) {
		$np = new Page(); // create new page object
		$np->template = "app_nav";
		$np->parent = "/app_nav/"; // or id or page object
		$np->title = $mypages[$counter];
		$np->save();
	}

return $out;
}

Edited by alan
Added code