Patreon was hacked. But their logo reminds me of something...

Mike Rockett

Aww crap.

Especially now that the ad blocking debate rages on, Patreon is among the few services that provide an actually viable alternative for independent artists and content creators to support themselves. I hope they don't take too much damage from this, as that would be a real shame.

Also, I hope they get their shit together, as the data seems to point out that there are gaping holes in their security :)

• Like 2

Aww crap.

Especially now that the ad blocking debate rages on, Patreon is among the few services that provide an actually viable alternative for independent artists and content creators to support themselves. I hope they don't take too much damage from this, as that would be a real shame.

Also, I hope they get their shit together, as the data seems to point out that there are gaping holes in their security :)

Well yeah - the thing is that their source code went along with it, which may speed up the process of de-hashing (though, I'm not so sure on that one).

For the record, I originally managed to miss the post from Patreon where they announced the hacking. It's actually a pretty good one: seems honest, and they're not just apologizing, they're also explaining how they're going to prevent the same from happening again.

The unauthorized access was confirmed to have taken place on September 28th via a debug version of our website that was visible to the public. Once we identified this, we shut down the server and moved all of our non-production servers behind our firewall.

In essence this is a good reminder to never keep dev stuff publicly available :)

• Like 3

Slightly unrelated, but for knowing more about Patreon, this talk from Jack Conte is great 

Before watching that, I didn't even know that he was behind Patreon, although I was following his music and videos on Youtube :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...