Processwire is longterm

cssabc123

The more you attract non developers to PW the better for PW, or maybe not? 

Wordpress already caters to those people, why try and compete? Most of the modules it has look like they are built by non-developers as well, there is no quality control. It is a non-developers world all round :P

I don't want to turn this thread into a Wordpress bashing. As Martin pointed out you can Google developers views on it without even comparing it to another CMS/CMF.

• Like 2

This appears to be a shortcoming of PW, if I have a hundreds or thousands of categories I will need to create the same number of pages in PW, in other frameworks or CMS you only need one page, put all categories in a database, access it realtime, create the page according to the category. It seems PW does not scale very well, or does it?

This appears to be a shortcoming of PW, if I have a hundreds or thousands of categories I will need to create the same number of pages in PW, in other frameworks or CMS you only need one page, put all categories in a database, access it realtime, create the page according to the category. It seems PW does not scale very well, or does it?

Actually the pages approach of PW scales incredibly well and is actually one of its most useful models allowing so much flexibility. BUT, in some cases if you don't need the flexibility of the pages approach you can make use of FieldtypeOptions to categorize things.

You could also use Profields Table if it better suits your needs.

For quickly populating pages for use as categories, here are some helpful modules:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-page-field-select-creator/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/batch-child-editor/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/

• Like 4

From time to time someone appears from nowhere and starts the same discussion that we had already over and over, without even taking the time, or having interest to read a bit of what was said before here in the forum. I quickly found an example of a discussion that you could/should have read before https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7565-making-pw-more-userfriendly/

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but after having answered and seen many others answering to some of your multiple questions from last week —which clearly show that you didn't get anything of how PW works—, I can't take these sudden very profound questions seriously.

• Like 5

I am glad that you appreciate my answers and I am happy to help, but as diogo pointed out, all this info is already available in the forums. One thing that might really help you to learn is to use google to search these forums - the built-in search for IP.Board forums is pretty useless.

On the overhead of using pages - that really isn't true in most situations. And Profields is a multifaceted product, but the Table field component definitely reduces the number of pages - everything for a field instance is stored in one database table.

For really large websites like facebook PW seems not to fit?

Can you point us to any CMS that could run Facebook? They have created there own version of PHP to handle their needs!

• Like 3

@adrian Drupal and Wordpress can run facebook.

The Weather Company uses Drupal to help manage content on its Weather.com site, among the 100 or so busiest sites in the world. Others, like GRAMMY.com and publications in the Time Inc. family, handle periodic traffic spikes easily -- all on Drupal.

For wordpress, CNN, Forbes, Reuters, New York Tmes.

I'm not saying processwire can't.

Your thoughts...

@adrian Drupal and Wordpress can run facebook.

You should tell Mark Z. about this - he could have saved himself a fortune on hiring expensive developers - he could have gone with the local Mom and Pop web designers.

PS I assume you are kidding :)

• Like 2

We'll here are the links,

https://www.drupal.com/feature/drupal-scalability

https://en.wordpress.com/notable-users/

So the question is does PW scale as well? Unless we can name at least one of the top 100 websites in the world that uses PW, then it's safe to say that PW's weakness is scalability comparing to other CMS.  A room for improvement?

One advantage of WP are plugins, saves users to hire expensive developers for custom functionality. The advantage is not only in numbers but also ease of use (plug and play).  PW does that it will be a big step forward.

No, it doesn't really work that way, but at the same time you are stating the obvious, and it won't ever be necessary to appeal to people who want plugins.

@cssabc123, can you provide some examples of sites you have developed? For example some successful sites that run Wordpress with a lot of plugins?

I have such sites, and it's no fun at all. Yesterday a WP ecommerce site broke on iOS9; 3 hrs to upgrade the template to fix it. 

When i login to this site there are alerts all over the admin about licenses that need to be renewed, plugin updates, and stuff like that. We can barely keep track of the plugin subscriptions needed to make this site work.

• Like 3

Wow! Haven't thought about Heaven's Gate Cult or Hale-Bopp in years.

I guess we'll never know if they made it to the spacecraft, but they sure "killed it" when it comes to web design. 

I'm considering ordering the book.

From time to time someone appears from nowhere and starts the same discussion that we had already over and over, without even taking the time, or having interest to read a bit of what was said before here in the forum.

Somehow they always seem to find a valid excuse for not taking the time to go through the forum. Even if the answer or subject they are looking for is already there many times in the forum. I found the latest excuse very creative: "I wanted to know if there was a better answer"

Just visit and you'll see who uses WP PW

http://processwire.com/about/sites/

to get it down to an final result - take it or leave it - depending on your choice...we all have to choose right or left.

What i've figured out is that PW people defend the system if there were serious arguments....and don't get too religious and frenetic if arguments are not on the table.

Maybe you'll interest in the great fishy post from ryan ;)

• Like 3

This thread is jumping all over the place now. The link you posted about Drupal scalability is describing the job of a good server. The notable users Wordpress link pretty much mentions blogs.

I have only used PW for 6 months and I have used it on government websites because I have confidence in it. A brand/household name does not equal a good implementation of a piece of software or hassle free running of that site. That is complete miss-selling.

The website for one of the prominent four-letter political parties in Northern Ireland has been powered by ProcessWire for almost two years now. It currently has about 15,000 pages, and serves in excess of 130,000 requests per day running on typical cloud hosting and minimal PW and CloudFlare caching. Not too bad I don't think (on several levels), but nowhere near some of the bigger sites powered by PW by far (going solely from the Showcase area of this forum).

Without giving too much away, it's still happily and securely running the PW version that was installed during its development two years ago. There's also been zero maintenance issues to deal with since launch, a lot of which I believe is down to PW itself.

• Like 6

What i've figured out is that PW people defend the system if there were serious arguments....and don't get too religious and frenetic if arguments are not on the table.

This is not even about defending the system, it's about defending the quality of the posts in the forum.

It's quite amazing that someone that joined the forum 4 days ago, already has 52 posts, with a posts/likes rate of 52/1, and started 5 new topics, two of them named after modules that have their own topics.

@cssabc123, this is a great community where people are always eager to help and discuss things, but you are expected to do your own work and some research before asking questions and raising these kind of topics, otherwise you're just wasting everyones time.

• Like 11

I guess PW is an ok CMS, it's just not the most used.  But I think I will implement one of my websites using PW, see if it scales.

http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/content_management/all

But I agree PW got some strong points, not just widely used, maybe one day it will be.

Yes this is a good link from I believe mr-fan, thank you

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7565-making-pw-more-userfriendly/page-8#entry73748