Front End Membership Module

Lance O.

No offense to the developer of FrontendUser, but I'm cautious about using modules that provide functionality that are core to a project's success. I came from the WordPress world and was burned more than once on plugins that were no longer supported by the developer. I'm at the point where I would rather spend $100 on a module and be confident that it is going to be supported rather than using a free module that may later be abandoned.

Yes, basics like registration, login, change password, email address, name, and upload image would need to be supported, allowing users to edit their profile using a custom front end template without having access to PW's back end admin.

• Like 2

I think $100 is a bit steep for something with this functionality but I would happily spend $30 in a heartbeat on it with a yearly support fee like Ryan's modules. If there was a developer here who was interested I bet some of us could band together and commit to purchasing the module so that the incentive was clear. 

And absolutely no offense to pwfoo at all, I think they would be a great dev to possibly take on the project if they were interested as they already have written a good portion to what I would imagine the final product would be.

I would love a module that had front end user administration as a core to the module. Something that possibly even separated front end users from administrators and allowed for really slick integration with custom fields for front end users. 

• Like 1

No offense to any of you, but did you look at how small pwFoo's system's basic building blocks are:

https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/formhelper/src/21693e79e771b85c236124e523c972a805fb44e1/FormHelper/FormHelper.module?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

https://bitbucket.org/pwFoo/frontenduser/src/71207f581585ac6e089b47790eadbf3bdbedd5a9/FrontendUser/FrontendUser.module?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default

If "possibility of abandoning" means "possibility of breaking with API changes",

1. PW API breaks very rarely

2. pwFoo's codebase is really small and anyone depending on it could fix breakage, if push comes to shove

• Like 3

^ That's the same module I linked to :)

But yes Beluga, you're right and that's what I would say too - the API isn't going to fundamentally change any time soon so the majority of frontend development like this module shouldn't be affected by upgrades most of the time. I would say actually admin modules have a little more chance of being affected by upgrades when larger new features are added to PW, but that's why you have to make the decision for yourself which branch you download from Github for your sites.

You also have to balance this with the other responsibilities of being a web developer/admin - any updates should theoretically be checked by yourself on a non-live copy to see what the impact will be on the modules/templates you're using. This is best practice, however it doesn't always happen (I know I'm guilty of throwing caution to the wind with my personal sites anyway ;)).

And of course when modules aren't updated or code breaks, there's a forum full of folks here to help out.

I think in the absolute worst case scenario, if a module you like doesn't get updated for compatibility with newer versions of ProcessWire, you don't actually have to upgrade ProcessWire itself on the affected site. I know that, unlike any other CMS I've used, my sites are all on varying versions of ProcessWire and ticking along quite nicely which is nice.

• Like 2

Hi,

FrontendUser base module is simple and small. It should be extended with sub modules and plugins based on PW hooks.

I wrote it because there was no universal and extendable frontend login / register module.

PW modules are optimized for backend usage (inputfields, login, ...). Would be great if the PW modules would also work in the frontend, but that isn't targeted / supported.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely need a solid front-end user system solution. Of the 20+ PW sites I've built, 2 have required extensive front-end user systems and I've had to kludge together crazy solutions built from bits and pieces of code strewn throughout this forum. It's hack, bad and just waiting to fall apart. PW is such an awesome solid system and it makes me sad that it's so let down by this one critical area. Almost all other major CMS/CMF's ship with some decent front-end user management.

I would easily pay $100 for an up-to-date decent system. Or $30 with a yearly subscription like Ryan's other modules. Ryan could probably bang this out in one night (haha ok I'm kidding, but I'm sure he could do it easy enough). Ryan please! There's a desperate need for this. The existing half-implemented modules and bits of code are NOT a solution at all! Please save me from having to use ModX again just because of front-end user management.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

FrontendUser and FormHelper modules are small helpers to use the form api and PW login in the frontend, because the core modules aren't fit my needs.

I know that PW not supports the frontend usage of core modules (login, forgot password, ...), form api and inputfields, but it would be great.

I hope in the future some modules / core features will be simplified and with frontend usage in mind (also if not official supported).

• Login without build in admin notifications
  • Most of the inputfields work in the frontend, but I don't like the QueryUI dependency
  • Simple form handling / verification (FormHelper fhProcessForm) with a single method call

But because that isn't planned we need such community modules ;)

• Like 2