Editor can't see trash icon next to the page

nfil

Hello.

I installed pWire 2.6.16 and after giving permission for the editor role to delete pages, also his role has access to edit the template but the trash icon won't show next to the page. It will only display the trash icon for super users.

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/extra-action-in-your-page-list-processwire-core-updates-2.6.5/

Thanks for the help.

I've written this on github a few days ago as well. I think this is deliberate, because superusers are the only people, who can interact with the trash. All other users can only delete pages and they are gone for them. Now, under those circumstances, nobody wants those users to delete pages by accidentally clicking on the wrong button in the pagelist. If users need batch deleting I'd rather suggest using ListerPro and the trash/delete PageAction, while few pages can also be deleted by opening those in new browser tabs and delete them via the page editor. But if one really would like a delete action in the pagelist: The method is hookable and everyone can add whatever one needs / wants to that actionlist. 

• Like 1

There's also a Page Delete Module: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-page-delete/

Don't know if that works with the new versions of PW. The compatibility note says yes. I've only worked with it some time ago (PW2.4 or so...). nfil, maybe you can try that and share your experience?

+1 for having the delete button optionally visible for other roles

• Like 1

I've written this on github a few days ago as well. I think this is deliberate, because superusers are the only people, who can interact with the trash. All other users can only delete pages and they are gone for them. Now, under those circumstances, nobody wants those users to delete pages by accidentally clicking on the wrong button in the pagelist. If users need batch deleting I'd rather suggest using ListerPro and the trash/delete PageAction, while few pages can also be deleted by opening those in new browser tabs and delete them via the page editor. But if one really would like a delete action in the pagelist: The method is hookable and everyone can add whatever one needs / wants to that actionlist. 

Yes it makes sense! A client that wants a quick way to delete pages asked if this would be possible but sometimes a wrong click and no access to trash can cause panic.

I was also thinking about lister or listerPro to batch delete the pages and thanks for the hook suggestion.

Thanks for all the answers. 

@BernhardB and nfil
ProcessPageDelete Module works in 2.6. You can configure it to delete pages directly by the green button. (to be confirmed - javascript). The permission could be added to any user.
Another solution is to just use trashing option in combination with CronjobEmptyTrash Module which delete trashed pages permantly after a configurable time period.

• Like 1

A little self promotion here :)

BatchChildEditor gives you an alternate interface that allows for very quick deletion of multiple pages. It may or may not suit your needs.

Those delete buttons are toggles that mark the page for deletion, but the user still has to click Save to process the deletions, so this makes it pretty good at preventing accidental deletions.

post-985-0-68817300-1441889663_thumb.png

• Like 4

thanks kixe and adrian! While creating the site, as a superuser I always use this module, http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-batcher/ 

Congrats Adrian!! that one looks great too and makes sense for the editor role and batch delete.

I haven't tried the cronjobEmptyTrash module, always try to keep the modules to a minimum but I will certainly have a look at that one too. thanks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello for all,

I created "admin" role and what I want for that rolle is just restriction to see "Admin" and "system/tools" page tree, but also option to delete pages from list tree.

+1 for delete permission

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2017 at 4:37 PM, OLSA said:

Hello for all,

I created "admin" role and what I want for that rolle is just restriction to see "Admin" and "system/tools" page tree, but also option to delete pages from list tree.

+1 for delete permission

We already have a delete permission:

59b9ee7cb6bcf_ScreenShot2017-09-13at7_49_52PM.png.da16138e56e72872caf7213683d756ae.png

Is that what you are looking for, or referring to something else?