streaming development in PW on livecoding.tv

Marek

This is awesome. When/if you watch it, you should post your favourite casters as well.

I don't have any favorite casters yet. there is not that much streams going on yet. usually around 10 to 15 at a time. it is not that easy to find a good stream to watch. it is fun to watch for me when their skill is better than mine but not too much so I can follow and learn something new.

for example 2 days ago i have been watching a stream in html/css category. she used Jade in her project. It didn't surprise me that a tool (or language) like that exists, but I have not considered it in my project. but as i saw it in action, it is actually exactly what could help me in my project... so yesterday I spent learning jade from youtube videos, and today i am using it in my project. it is interesting and fun to see other people how they work...

I made this topic, so maybe some people who want to make tutorials might consider it as a way to make them. I believe that I am not only one here who would like to see how exactly some PW pro does some extensive project. and for the streamer it wouldn't even mean he has to do much work - just record his screen. I bet active people on this forum would take time and watch the stream. development process could be discuses and everyone would learn something new. plus, it could be a great way to make new people interested in PW. however, I know such a projects are usually made for some client, so that could be a problem.

This one is pretty fun and gives some ideas on how to make things fun and interesting (just the first 5 mins, once he gets started): https://www.livecoding.tv/video/live-with-stephen-wolfram/

Could have a PW one where you get ideas from the audience before starting and run through a bunch of common scenarios that way :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, no ProcessWire livestream or video yet?

It could be one which simply shows an example of how to convert a static website and/or integrate one of the html/css/js frameworks in(to) ProcessWire.

Or one showing a migration from another CMS/CMF, for example.

This could be done with 2.7 master when it is released.

I had this idea yesterday of coding my website in livecoding once I have it designed, though I want to ask you people..

• Do you think it's worth it if I'm kind of a noob? I mean, you won't be seeing some ninja code, more like toddler with crayons (although kids do have a lot of fun with their crayons!) :P
  • Should it accomodate to the "processwire user distribution map", with this I mean that a lot of PW users seem to be in Europe and I live in America, so I the best strategy would have to be doing this either really late (to get to most of people really early), or really early (to get people in the late afternoon).
  • Like 2

@elabx

You could create several videos for several stages in your website development (for YouTube, dailymotion...).

Each of them with a good title for seo.

(bigbluebutton, for example, could have been interesting as an e-learning platform.

I've just seen this from a link on the homepage's website: https://moodle.com/2015/07/06/moodle-launches-moodlecloud-free-hosting-for-educators/

At least one official ProcessWire account could perhaps be created.

"Up to 50 users and 200Mb disk space"

"Integrated with BigBlueButton for video-conferencing – free!"

A video-conferencing - and/or chat - session could be held after each video release, for instance.

@elabx

You could create several videos for several stages in your website development (for YouTube, dailymotion...).

Each of them with a good title for seo.

(bigbluebutton, for example, could have been interesting as an e-learning platform.

I've just seen this from a link on the homepage's website: https://moodle.com/2015/07/06/moodle-launches-moodlecloud-free-hosting-for-educators/

At least one official ProcessWire account could perhaps be created.

"Up to 50 users and 200Mb disk space"

"Integrated with BigBlueButton for video-conferencing – free!"

A video-conferencing - and/or chat - session could be held after each video release, for instance.

Since this topic popped up I have been thinking on how to help PW grow from my possibilities. I am no whizz coder, but surely I can pull off some websites and maybe some other tricks, but in the end I'm rather a designer that deals with small to mid size business demands. I try to participate as much as I can supporting users, but I find that most of the times my experience is not enough, so maybe I can put my other "stuff I know how to do" to help.

PW seems to already have an experienced audience, that are migrating from other software some more complex, some from the popular systems available, but I don't really think there's much material for people who handle front end technologies with average skills who want to transition into server side solutions to achieve a full stack developer status that let's them take on bigger projects and not just pure front end.

I think Processwire is a killer weapon for that type of developer because of all the heavy lifting from Processwire without compromising flexibility, makes it really friendly who people who already know the basics of coding and probably has experience with javascript.

So after explaining a bit where I stand, I had this ideas for tutorials series:

- How to make a one page website with Processwire.

- Portfolio from scratch with Processwire. (here goes my blog!)

- How to make your comic book website with Processwire. 

I think this kind of "generic" type of tutorial, will attract people starting with frontend technologies and middle to advance users will get the grasp of how things work in Processwire and just dive into it. 

So, that's why I'm making all this noise about the live coding and stuff haha, I just think Processwire needs more media out there that shows solutions for practical problems that learning web developer's could be potentially searching for. 

Sorry if the conversation drifted away, just wanted to expose my goals. 

What do you guys think?

• Like 3