Hi there,

I'm developing locally on my laptop and we have a testing server where I deploy via rsynch + running a DB Dump script.

(Exported via MySQLWorkbench)

I've noticed that the admin password becomes invalid every time a DB Dump script is run on the server.

Is this possibly because there's a hash and/or salt stored alongside the password and my local one is not valid on the server?

Are there better practices of synching between my local Processwire and the server instance to prevent the admin password being invalidated?

This should normally work ok, but to answer the question, the password salt is in the site/config.php and nowhere else.

Perhaps I should resynch the config.php files between the 2 machines and try again.

Thanks for the answer, LostKobrakai

I have the same issue after DB syncing, i got it that salt in the config is the issue but as said several times its known that passwords will not work anymore after site migration. As far as i can say its not about the salt because nobody changes the salt for the migration. It wouldnt even be that bad if the user account data wouldnt be in the page table which of course has to be deployed if i add changes to the page. I deploy sometimes 10 times a day at least to staging areas and i am tired of reseting the passwords again and again. Isnt there any way to disable this? If a user changes his password by himself i will never be able to deploy without knowing his password?

If the user salt is correctly deployed and your fields_pass table is also correctly moved there should be no problems. The only issue I can imagine is that one of your environments might support blowfish encryption and the other one doesn't, which would result in different hashing behaviors.

A few words about your rant about users being part of the pages table: If you have just about any amount of user-generated / user-changeable content you cannot overwrite the db just with a sql dump. You'll need to go different ways if you need to deploy (possibly automatically) your database changes with a staging/live environment. Therefore it shouldn't matter that much if users are pages as well or not.

• Like 1

The Blowfish encryption is an interesting detail, will check that. Would make sense.

Of course i need to sync in both directions but if it would be a separate table i would simply exclude them. 

Migrated my dev environment from MAMP to vagrant box and the issue doesnt happen anymore. So you are right that the reason is an environment detail, in my case of MAMP.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Noel Boss
      Admin Theme Boss
      A light and clear theme based on Uikit 3
      Features
      Three unique color options Beautiful typografy using Roboto Condensed Extended breadcrumb with edit links Extends AdminThemeUikit, you can continue using all AdminThemeUikit features Option to activate theme for all users Color Variants:
      ProcessWire Blue

Vibrant Blue

Dark Black

Requirements
      Requires AdminThemeUikit installed and activated.
      Installation
      Make sure the above requirements are met Go to “Modules > Site > Add New“ Paste the Module Class Name “AdminThemeBoss“ into the field “Add Module From Directory“ Click “Download And Install“ On the overview, click “Download And Install“ again On the following screen, click “Install Now“

Install manually
      Make sure the above requirements are met Download the theme files from GitHub or the ProcessWire Modules Repository. Copy all of the files for this module into /site/modules/AdminThemeBoss/ Go to “Modules > Refresh” in your admin Click “Install“ on the “AdminThemeBoss“ Module  

• By Robin S
      Breadcrumb Dropdowns
      Adds dropdown menus of page edit links to the breadcrumbs in Page Edit.

Installation
      Install the Breadcrumb Dropdowns module. The module requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.83 and AdminThemeUikit.
      There is a checkbox option in the module config that determines if the breadcrumb dropdowns will include pages that the user does not have permission to edit.
      Features/details
      The module adds an additional breadcrumb item at the end for the currently edited page. That's because I think it's more intuitive for the dropdown under each breadcrumb item to show the item's sibling pages rather than the item's child pages. In the dropdown menus the current page and the current page's parents are highlighted in a crimson colour to make it easier to quickly locate them in case you want to edit the next or previous sibling page. If the option to include uneditable pages is selected then those pages are indicated by a reduced text opacity and the "not-allowed" cursor is shown on hover. There is a limit of 25 sibling pages per dropdown for performance reasons and to avoid the dropdown becoming unwieldy. Incompatibilities
      This module replaces the AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumbs method so will potentially be incompatible with other modules that hook the same method.

https://modules.processwire.com/modules/breadcrumb-dropdowns/
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/BreadcrumbDropdowns
    • By joshuag
      Hey guys, 
      Thought I would share a quick preview of Designme. A module we (Eduardo @elabx and I) are building for visually laying out your templates/edit screens. 🙂
      This is a really quick, zero polish screen grab. FYI. 
      Video #2 - UPDATE
      This new video shows the following features in Designme:
      Re-arranging fields via Drag & Drop Re-sizing fields via Dragging. Adjusting field settings - with live refresh. Working on "hidden" fields while Designme is active. Creating New fields. Deleting fields. Creating/Deleting Tabs. Dragging fields between tabs. Creating fieldsets. Tagging/Un-tagging fields. Fields without headers expand when hovered (like checkboxes). Live filtering of fields in the sidebar. Ability to adjust (all) Template settings without leaving Designme. Template File Tree Editing Template files source code with ACE Editor. Editing Multiple files with ACE Editor. (New Tabs) Saving files. Techie stuff Fields load their own js/css dependancies. *ready to use on creation (*most fields)  Everything happens via Ajax to ProcessPageEdit (via module + hooks). Designme has a JS api that you can use.  All actions trigger events.  We would love any detailed feedback on what you see so far. If you are interested in testing Designme. Let me know below. 🙂

Video #1. 

• By matsn0w
      Hey all,
      I am working on a website and I want to style the login page, but I'm a bit confused. 
      I want either the existing login page styled in my own way using some CSS (I guess I prefer that) or I want to create a custom page with a form to login. (Which I could style too).
      I used the code from Ryan and Renobird posted here - which works great - but that doesn't replace the original login page. 
      Is there a way to some sort of 'disable' the original login?
      I hope my question is clear and thanks in advance,
      matsn0w
    • By msavard
      Is the UIKit admin theme supposed to look like this when editing fields and templates? It seems like I did something wrong.