FTP client recommendation on Mac?

elabx

I have used Cyberduck for a lot of time, and well, it does the job. Keeps my bookmarks, easy to use and allows a custom text editor. But I am always looking for tools to make my workflow faster and painless.

Do you guy have a recommendation to change to another client? Maybe due to featurewise benefits?

For example, the file sync in Transmit looks promising. Forklift also looks promising. Anyone working with these?

Note: I have tried sync with Cyberduck, but for some reason, I can't never get it to work correctly, or as I expected, one time I even replaced my whole folder with empty files. (I probably did something wrong myself, I know)

• Like 1

Forklift looks great. Thanks for the tip Adrian.

@elabx Transmit is good and I can recommend it. I think the version purchased via the Apple App Store has a sync limitation or can only sync via DropBox and not use it's native sync function. Also remember using it the first time and noticing that it prefers drag n drop over uploading a file. If you upload a file the normal way make sure "Linked Folder Navigation" is on so your folders will navigate in sync, local and remote, at the same time.

Always found Transmit support very good too.

• Like 1

Forklift in combination with Sublime Text is pretty unbeatable for simple FTP and text editing.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Coda, which is basically a text editor with most of the features of Transmit, all in 1 app..

• Like 1

Greetings,

Thanks for this discussion.  I have to admit, I still use FileZilla because it works and I never really bothered to make a switch.  I started using it all the way back in 2002!

Forklift and Transmit both appear to have terrific features and I will give them a try!

Thanks,

Matthew

Greetings,

Thanks for this discussion.  I have to admit, I still use FileZilla because it works and I never really bothered to make a switch.  I started using it all the way back in 2002!

Forklift and Transmit both appear to have terrific features and I will give them a try!

Thanks,

Matthew

Nice someone else benefits! I just thought to myself: I can't be dragging files from Finder to Cyberduck all my life, there must be a better way!!

I've to say, that I never got warm with Forklift. It tries to hard to be kind of a finder replacement, whereas Transmit just does one thing and that exceptionally well. The synced folder feature is just the best and if you set the local and remote startfolder for the favorites, than it works from the beginning and you just drag&drop files around.

• Like 2

If you are working with sublime text I can definitely recommend SFTP package for sublime which integrates very nicely. Main advantage is that you don't need to switch between code editor and ftp program. Everything file transfer related happens from within the code editor, which, in my opinion, greatly enhances the workflow.

You can even sync folders bidirectionally or diff local to remote files etc.

• Like 1

If you are working with sublime text I can definitely recommend SFTP package for sublime which integrates very nicely. Main advantage is that you don't need to switch between code editor and ftp program. Everything file transfer related happens from within the code editor, which, in my opinion, greatly enhances the workflow.

You can even sync folders bidirectionally or diff local to remote files etc.

I really like the look of this! I work with emacs and I'm a bit shocked that I can't find something alike. I might just even try switching to Sublime Text for this.

SFTP/Sublime is my weapon of choice since it came out. Has replaced Filezilla, Cyberduck et al. Can't think of anything else. Regarding Forklift, imho it's a very poor clone of Total Commander for Windows and it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore (no update since ages).

Regarding Forklift, imho it's a very poor clone of Total Commander for Windows and it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore (no update since ages).

The Forklift software that I use (Forklift 2, Version 2.6.5) is updated regularly.

• Like 2

forklift can do some amazing things, multi-rename, browse archives etc; also the split screen each with unlimited tabs is great when working on huge projects where you need fast access to 10 different folders; and then you can save entire workspaces...

• Like 3

Regarding Forklift, imho it's a very poor clone of Total Commander for Windows and it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore (no update since ages).

I was a DirectoryOpus fan on Windows, and while I agree that Forklift doesn't have anywhere near as many config options, what it does, it does mostly very well and it has everything I need. It is not perfect but, in hindsight, DOpus almost has too many options.

Each to his own right ;)

• Like 1