Module: FieldtypeAssistedURL

wumbo

Hi folks!

I'm about to add my new module FieldtypeAssistedURL to the repository.

You find the source code on github and hopefully in the modules repository soon.

Here an extract from the README.md:

This module offers you a new field type AssistedURL Field, providing and input field for storing absolute and relative URLs.
The field type adds a button to open the URL chooser dialog known from the CKEditor link feature without the tab
navigation bar for specifying link attributes.

Using the URL chooser dialog the editor may select URLs from internal pages or uploaded files via a search field with
auto-completion, a page tree control, and a file selector control.

Please feel free to post suggestions and any form of feedback here in the forums or on github.

Wumbo

• Like 20

Hi @wumbo - thanks for this - looks pretty handy, but a few thoughts for you.

1. If you manually enter a URL it automatically adds the http://, forcing it to be an absolute URL, but if you choose a page, it populates a relative URL - this will be problematic when outputting this field's contents in something like an emailable template.
  2. When selecting a page from the site, I would rather the field stores the ID of the page, just in case the path (and therefore the URL) is changed down the road. The module could handle outputting the URL of that page automatically, so if an absolute URL is stored, then echo that, otherwise echo the URL of the page, maybe with an option to force an absolute URL just in case you are using this field in something like an email template. I think this would be a very useful addition.
  3. Just visual stuff, but I'd like to see the "Open Link Assistant" a little LOT smaller - perhaps a small icon or something. Also, the width of the text input is not quite right.

Thanks again!

Hi Adrian,

1. This seems to be the default behavior of the FieldtypeURL, which this module extends, or the InputfieldURL, which is used be the module. I'm not sure it's necessary/wise to change that.

2. The whole purpose for developing this module was to mimic the exact behavior of the link chooser dialog of the CKEditor module. This dialog wraps the marked rte content with completely rendered <a> tags. All I do is getting the href attribute from this <a> tag and copy it to the InputfieldURL. 

I'll try to introduce a config setting to choose whether to return a page's url or it's id.

3. I replaced the buttons text with the link icon.

Hi Adrian,

1. This seems to be the default behavior of the FieldtypeURL, which this module extends, or the InputfieldURL, which is used be the module. I'm not sure it's necessary/wise to change that.

2. The whole purpose for developing this module was to mimic the exact behavior of the link chooser dialog of the CKEditor module. This dialog wraps the marked rte content with completely rendered <a> tags. All I do is getting the href attribute from this <a> tag and copy it to the InputfieldURL. 

I'll try to introduce a config setting to choose whether to return a page's url or it's id.

3. I replaced the buttons text with the link icon.

1. Good point - I hadn't noticed this before as I guess I have never entered a relative URL in a FieldtypeURL field before.
  2. I guess the difference for me is that in an RTE field you always need to insert a URL, but in the case of a field that is just storing a link to a page, it might be better to store the page ID - I think if you do go this route, you want to store the ID, but always return the page object so in the template you could choose ->url, ->id, ->title, etc
  3. I think that looks much cleaner!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OMG this one is what I have been looking for.

But I have one challange. I do use repeaters quite a lot in my templates. And images in those repeaters are not listed? Are you aware of this? Maybe even working on a fix?

I will dig into it in the following days, but if you are already on it let me know ;-)

Felix

Okay... I got a first fix (but it does not help yet)

in ProcessPageEditLink.module you need to replace the existing getFiles() method with the following code. It iterates thru all RepeaterFields as well. This results in all images being shown:

protected function getFiles() {
	$files = array();
	if($this->page->id) {
		$files = $this->getFilesFromPage($this->page);
	}
	asort($files); 
	return $files;
}

protected function getFilesFromPage($pageToCheck){
	$files = array();
	foreach($pageToCheck->fields as $field) {
		if($field->type instanceof FieldtypeFile){
			foreach($pageToCheck->get($field->name) as $file) {
				$files[$file->url] = $field->getLabel() . ': ' . $file->basename; 
			}
		}
		else if($field->type instanceof FieldtypeRepeater){
			foreach($pageToCheck->$field as $repeaterPage){
				$files = array_merge($this->getFilesFromPage($repeaterPage),$files);
			}
		}
		else {

}
	}
	return $files;
}

Just to make sure we have it all in here. This was the original code of getFiles()

protected function getFilesOrig() {
	$files = array();
	if($this->page->id) foreach($this->page->fields as $f) {
		if(!$f->type instanceof FieldtypeFile) continue;
		foreach($this->page->get($f->name) as $file) {
			$files[$file->url] = $f->getLabel() . ': ' . $file->basename; 
		}
	}
	asort($files); 
	return $files;
}

So this works now. Only problem is, that InputfieldAssistedURL.module uses not the main page ID as the link.

So when the InputField is placed inside a repeater, it sends the ID of the repeater and not the one of the page (repeaters behave like pages). So we need to break out to main page from this repeater as well to see all images of the page...

I will follow up on this.

(Side question: Any hint were I should post my getFiles() patch so it might end up in the main core?)

So when the InputField is placed inside a repeater, it sends the ID of the repeater and not the one of the page (repeaters behave like pages). So we need to break out to main page from this repeater as well to see all images of the page...

I think you are looking for getForPage(): https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/blob/7e8c7c6836282b6b64de81263f5aaa8112fd51ae/wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeRepeater/RepeaterPage.php#L46

Okay, off to learn git ,-)

But thank you for the quick answer.

Wow, that one was quick. Yes this was what I was looking for...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I could make any request, it would be to make it optional to hide the file select option altogether, as personally find processwire's own method of linking to files to be really strange - useless if you don't have a separate field for uploading to that page.

What I have done instead is have an Options field, where the user chooses file or link, and make this field or a file upload field visible, depending on that selection.

Anyway regardless of that, this module is really great, thanks for providing it. So much better than a single text field when you want to avoid your users putting in broken links.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I am new to PW and while I am playing around to learn PW I downloaded this module and it works great but I have no clue how to get the name of the page I will link to:

<a href="<?php echo $page->AssistedURL; ?>">?</a>

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello gmclelland,

thank you for your reply and the TracyDebugger tip.

I think my approach is probably going in the wrong direction... I just wanted to have an input field to insert a link to another page or an anchor or select a page via the menu tree. That's why I decided to use this module.

This

<a href="<?php echo $page->AssistedURL; ?>"></a>

outputs this:

<a href="/processwire-test/page1/"></a>

which is fine so far but I'd like to have the page name (or a custom text) within the <a></a> tags. Is there a better way to achieve that? Most probably :-)

Thank you again.

@sms - if it's a local page, then you can get the title of the linked page with:

$pages->get($page->AssistedURL)->title;

But you might be better using a Page Reference field because then you could do:

$page->linkedpage->url;
$page->linkedpage->title;

If there will be some external links, then maybe a Repeater field with URL and Title fields might be the best option.

Hello adrian,

thank you again for your quick reply.

I have tested your code but the field outputs nothing now. However, I will test the Page Reference field tomorrow. Might be a better option :-)

<a href="<?php echo $page->AssistedURL; ?>"><?php echo $pages->get($page->AssistedURL)->title; ?></a>