E-Commerce site with ProcessWire - Optimal approach?

Neo

I am working on a custom website with ProcessWire, which initially just started out as a brochure style format.

Later it was decided that a product catalogue with shopping-cart / e-commerce functionality for up to 1000 physical

products in different categories and sub-categories is also required including credit card payments. 

I followed the various existing discussions on ProcessWire & e-Commerce:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8649-coming-soon-padloper-commercial-ecommerce-platform-for-processwire/

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/shopping-cart/

It seems that there has not been a decisive solution yet. 

My initial idea was to host an e-commerce store (e.g. OpenCart ), on a sub-domain that is linked with the main ProcessWire site. 

Not great, because you are running 2 systems, but I don't have the time for experiments and security / reliabilty has priority. 

An alternative would be to completely rebuilt the site with a dedicated e-commerce CMS, however, I love how ProcessWire handles things and would hate to go somewhere else for e-commerce. Especially ProcessWire's page organisation with the tree-structure is perfect to manage a product catalogue.

How do you handle e-commerce with ProcessWire? Or do you go somewhere else for that?

Would appreciate your ideas and advice.

The general consensus seems to be to use a third-party solution rather than code something from scratch (or based on the abandoned module). You could always try to build a bridge between the shop and ProcessWire to facilitate user management.

With processwire and opencart version 1.5.6.4 (not v2 and up)

you have the best of 2 worlds.

Just by curiosity, why do you prefer the older version? What changed for the worse?

This look veeeery interesting! https://schema.io/

Notice the PHP docs here https://schema.io/docs/clients

Edit: This tool is API centric —seems to work a bit like GatherContent and the likes— The platform holds all the needed info and takes care of operations, but doesn't seem to have any front end, and offers instead a nicely built API to allow integration on any framework.

• Like 1

@pwired: I would be interested as well why you recommend Opencart 1.5.6.4 instead of latest version 2.

@Macrura: Padloper looks promising and I am sure this could be a great success as a commercial module if it integrates out-of-the-box with ProcessWire. Will have a look at FoxyCart as well.

@diogo: Will have a look at Schema.

Your posts seem to confirm that there is no optimal approach yet, how to integrate e-commerce with Processwire,

which is a shame as I think it is a great platform, which should definitely have a professional e-commerce integration. 

Your posts seem to confirm that there is no optimal approach yet, how to integrate e-commerce with Processwire,

which is a shame as I think it is a great platform, which should definitely have a professional e-commerce integration. 

I think Padloper will be it, but it's still very young :)

@diogo: Will have a look at Schema.

Been playing with it for the last minutes. Just have one thing to say: Wow!

Just by curiosity, why do you prefer the older version? What changed for the worse?

v.1.5.6.4 has proven to be rockstable, safe, fast, easy and (end) userfriendly

coding in the templates looks very familiar with coding in processwire templates

v.1.5.6.4 architecture has same focus as processwire: nothing there that should not be there

hundreds of available good plugins/modules

========================================================================

since v2.x.x.x and up everything changed

focused on making it shine and show off

still no confirmed stable version, too many bugs left without attention

too many developers releases and forum workarounds

Seems Daniel doesn't care anymore for a clean roadmap and releases

plugins/modules for v.1.5.6.4 not compatible with v2.x.x.x

Disclaimer:

this is my own experience and opinion

go to the opencart forum and check out v2.x.x.x for your self.

I like to keep things light.  I'd say look into Foxycart or Snipcart, or Moltin.  Either solution still allows you to use ProcessWire while handling off commerce functionality to those other systems.

Or you could built it entirely in ProcessWire like I did.  Not recommended unless you really want to get your hands dirty.  A lot of re-inventing the wheel (although a good learning experience).

• Like 4

@pwired I spent a moment with the latest version of OpenCart last night and had a look at the source code, which looked a bit chaotic at some places (partly uncommented, dense code etc.). Nothing comparable to ProcessWire. Will check out 1.5.6.4 as well.

The Foxycart idea is great as well, where you can simply take your custom markup and integrate it with a working e-commerce solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhb5CbEHt1E). However, a dedicted e-commerce module in ProcessWire like Padloper would be ideal for not having to leave the eco-system.

• 1 month later...

The Foxycart idea is great as well, where you can simply take your custom markup and integrate it with a working e-commerce solution  However, a dedicted e-commerce module in ProcessWire like Padloper would be ideal for not having to leave the eco-system.

true, but there can be some advantages to having a modular system; FC has an XML feed you can read back into PW and with some effort could have some level of integration; but i agree that padloper is likely the best option now for PW+EC.