Active Navigation CSS Not Working with Multiple Menu Locations

bck2sqr1

I have a site with a main nav bar, on subpages I have a subnav loading up below the main nav bar.  The problem I'm running into is on the subpages the active nav command isn't working on the subnav items (the main nav is staying active so I got that going for me).  I assume the $page->parent->children hierarchy in the PHP is confusing the command, and this is where I'm running into a wall.

Functions file code:

function renderSubNav($children) {

echo "<div id='subnav'>";
foreach($children as $child) {

$classy = $child === $page ? " class='current'" : '';
echo "<a$classy href='{$child->url}'>{$child->title}</a>";

}
echo "</div>";
}

PHP file code:

echo <div id='subnavitems' align='right' valign='top'>";

if(count($page->parents) == 0 && $page->numChildren > 0 && $page->template != "254_home") echo renderSubNav($page->children);
if(count($page->parents) == 1 && $page->numChildren > 0 && $page->template != "254_products") echo renderSubNav($page->children);
if(count($page->parents) == 2 && $page->template != "254_products") echo renderSubNav($page->parent->children);
if(count($page->parents) == 3 && $page->template != "254_products") echo renderSubNav($page->parent->parent->children); 

echo "</div>"; 

Any help would be appreciated!

That's because $page object is not in scope when used in function.

Try changing the line:

$classy = $child === $page ? " class='current'" : '';

to:

$classy = $child === wire('page') ? " class='current'" : '';

There's also a versatile MarkupSimpleNavigation module for outputting navigations.

All the "special" api variables that you've at your disposal in the template files are actually not that special, they work exactly like other variables only in the scope they are defined in. If you want to access them independent of any scope you need to use the wire('…') function.