Chris Falkenstein

PageTable - Use Template's Labels (always)

it turns out that if you create a PageTable field and assign only one (1) template you get a 'add new' button. it does NOT use the label from that template.  but when you assign two (2) or more templates the system will use the template labels to lable the buttons.

i feel it should use the template label for the button even if one template is assigned.

this topic came up in the general support area, here.

I've had use cases where this would be preferable too. Not always, though, so perhaps a field-level configuration setting would be the best approach?

I would say that no need for setting. PageTable is not the easiest one to configure, so let's not make it any more difficult :) Both are fine solutions, using just "add new" goes well with pw convention used in other places, but it makes it more difficult for new developers to find out that there could be more options. 

So my vote for "convention over configuration" here. Might be also that I have never figured this could be a problem. I understand that using general "Add new" made it more difficult for Chris to find out that there can be more templates even on basic PageTable, but what kind of situations you have had Teppo? Have those been purely usability preferences?

... but what kind of situations you have had Teppo? Have those been purely usability preferences?

One particular case I had to deal with recently was using PageTable for configurable page layouts, i.e. dropping in blocks/widgets. In most cases, there were many different block types, but in some cases only one. In this case, I would've preferred to use template labels consistently, not making the client guess what this "new" block is that will be added. Could've solved this by field naming or descriptions, but this particular implementation was supposed to be as dynamic (and consistent) as possible, hence the need for "action" buttons to behave same way everywhere, regardless of field settings.

Generally speaking convention over configuration is fine by me, but in my opinion current behaviour is far from "obvious". It's consistent with some other features in ProcessWire, but not consistent in the scope of PageTable itself. Additionally PageTable is one of those parts in ProcessWire where "convention over configuration" might not be the best approach after all; it's already being used for a lot of different purposes, and while that's a strength (no doubt about that), it does boost the importance of being configurable.

In fact I've meant to post some additional suggestions related to labels, per-template settings, modal/view settings, and such; still trying to figure out whether to do that or simply fork PageTable. PageTableExtended is not exactly what I'm looking for either, even if it does already do some of the things I've had in mind. Anyway, that's a subject for another discussion :)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tron1000
      Hello! I use PW 3.0.98 and I have frontend editing enabled for a PageTable Field. Somehow, when I double click the field in the frontend, the iframe in wich the content is displayed is very small (see screenshot). I couldn't find out if thats some CSS conflict or another problem. Any suggestions? Thanks, Andrej

• By Thomas Diroll
      Hi guys I'm relatively new to PW and just finished developing a page for a client. I was able to include all necessary functionality using the core fieldtypes but now I it seems that I need to extend them with a custom one. What I need is a simple button, that copies the absolute url (frontend not PW-backend) of the page which is currently edited to the clipboard. As this feature is only needed inside a specific template, I tend to use a custom fieldtype which provides this feature. I've been looking inside the core modules code (eg. FieldtypeCheckbox.module) but I don't really get the structure of it and how its rendered to the admin page. I also didn't find a lot of tutorials covering custom fieldtypes.
      Maybe some of you could give me some tips on how to write a basic custom fieldtype that renders a button which copies the value of
      page->httpUrl() to the clipboard using JS. Thanks!
    • By Jacek
      I'm coding my first module now. I've just managed to add a button to the page edit form but am not content with its placing. Is there any way to place it just next to the input field? I've marked the desired place with the arrow on the attached screenshot.
      My current code:
      $this->addHookAfter('ProcessPageEdit::buildFormContent' , $this, 'addButton');
      public function addButton($event){
      $form = $event->return;
      $f =$this->modules->InputfieldSubmit;
      $form->insertAfter($f, $form->get("bgg_id"));
      }
      "bgg_id" is the name of the targeted field.

• By Noel Boss
      I use a PageTable field to make edits to children of pages more intuitive…
      To register the hooks, insert the following Snippet inside your init function in your module (or add it to your init.php file):
      /** * Initialize the module. * * ProcessWire calls this when the module is loaded. For 'autoload' modules, this will be called * when ProcessWire's API is ready. As a result, this is a good place to attach hooks. */ public function init() { // Prefill pageTable field $this->wire()->addHookBefore('InputfieldPageTable::render', $this, 'addChildrenToPageTableFieldsHook'); $this->wire()->addHookBefore('InputfieldPageTableAjax::checkAjax', $this, 'addChildrenToPageTableFieldsHook'); } Then, add this hook method:
      /** * Fill pagetable fields with children before editing…. * * @param HookEvent $event */ public function addChildrenToPageTableFieldsHook(HookEvent $event) { $field = $event->object; // on ajax, the first hook has no fieldname if (!$field->name) { return; } // get the edited backend page $editID = $this->wire('input')->get->int('id'); if (!$editID && $this->wire('process') instanceof WirePageEditor) { $editID = $this->wire('process')->getPage()->id; } $page = wire('pages')->get($editID); // disable output formating – without this, the ajax request will not populate the field $page->of(false); // you could also insert a check to only do this with sepcific field names… // $page->set($field->name, $page->children('template=DesiredTemplate')); // just specific templates $page->set($field->name, $page->children); } Now whenever there is a page-table field on your page, it gets populated with the children
    • By pppws
      Hey there,
      i've set up a page wich uses pageTable and it works like a charm.
      for my home page i get several pages. they are sperated in two types:
      a) page has the module 'featured_img'
      b) page doesn't have the 'featured_img'

my pageTable field is called add_modules. so i was wondering if something like 
      <?php foreach ($featured as $child): ?> <?php if ($child->add_modules->module_featuredimg): ?> // show image <?php else: ?> // show text <?php endif; ?> <?php endforeach; ?> is possible?

thanks for your input!