Image field performance with large number of images

gebeer

Hello everybody,

I'd like to use the images field as an upload UI.

One image field would hold 1000+ images and I am wondering how this would perform in the backend.

I would only need the upload functionality. No need for thumbnail display, ordering etc.

Has anyone experience in using an image or file field with very large quantities of images?

Or is there an alternative upload UI for PW that stores all images to a single folder?

EDIT: I don't need to upload 1000+ images in one go.

I think a file field could handle that in an acceptable manner (no thumbnails there), but I doubt the loading-time on page-edit will be sufficient. I'd think you'd need something paginated (maybe filterable) to control such an amount of data.

Edit: If you really need only the upload and nothing else, then I'd use a custom inputfield for fieldtype file, which doesn't load all the images at once, which is most likely the biggest issue to solve.

So the bottleneck would be the thumbnail-display.

Couldn't we just switch that off through a hook or take the image input field module as a template and remove the part for thumbnail display?

I just realised that I can use the file field for handling the uploading of images (in the end they're files).

I will try this with a large amount of images and report back.

The thumbnails sure are a bottleneck, but as we now both know, that's not the case for a file field. The only potential bottleneck for a file-field could be, that the inputfield will load all your files to show them, which is not only a large list, but also lots of data.

Thanks for the hint.

I don't really need a list of files. Just the uploading part.

So I will have a look at the InputFieldFile module and see if I can deactivate the listing of files.