MarkupSimpleNavigation

Soma

I have a template file following Ryan's planet.php template starter demo. The structure is

processwire/site/templates/planet.php

Inside of planet.php, I have inserted the code you have provided. When I run that page, your code just prints out exactly as is. Nothing else happens.

Is that a little more clear?

@thatigibbyguy I clearly remember being like you (no PHP) and I am still quite a PHP lite-weight.

Luckily by the time I came to PW I had some PHP behind me because it meant I mostly had to only focus on PW.

But all I can say is that I am SO glad I spent some time getting the basics of PHP because it's allowed me to use PW which I've found to be the best CMS I've ever used, no contest. And using it has lead to learn more PHP due to the excellent and helpful examples in this forum.

In case it helps, these two are resources that you'll either already know of or if not may be good places to get more PHP mojo: http://phpmaster.com/ and of course http://php.net/.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the excellent module & the hard work!

Kindly let me know if the following is possible:

Main Menu Item

-- Sub Menu 1

-- Sub Menu 2

Few of  the main menu items (on the site I am doing) has no page associated with it & opens the page for the first sub menu item. Please let me know how, if this is possible.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Few of  the main menu items (on the site I am doing) has no page associated with it & opens the page for the first sub menu item. Please let me know how, if this is possible.

Thanks a lot in advance.

One solution I used:

Give your main menu items that should redirect to the firt sub menu a "redirect" template.

Then in your template, simply add this code:

$children = $page->children;
if (count($children)) {
  $session->redirect($children->first()->url);
} else {
  //This page has no children to redirect... throw a 404 or do other work
  throw new Wire404Exception();
}
  • Like 1

You could also have a template "redirect" with only a title and a page field (single page) to select any page you want to go.

Then in the code you should be able to write

array('item_tpl' => '<a href="{redirect_page|url}">{title}</a>')

So it would take the url of the referenced page in the page field if found, or if not it takes the url of the page itself. Assuming the page field is named "redirect_page".

Haven't tried but should work.

EDIT: This wasn't really working until added support for page field url in version 1.1.8.

• Like 1

I am trying to use an additional code for the inner items, just for pages which have a specific value in one field.

E.g. if a page has a textfield "extra_title" which is not empty the inner items should have an extra code part <span class="nav_extra_title"><span> .

Has anybody an idea how this could be solved?

It's not possible to do conditional markup generation. So you're maybe better off building you're menu with your own code. Which is quite simple.

Only workaround I see is using JS to generate it.

array('item_tpl' => '<a href="{url}" data-extratitle="{extra_title}">{title}</a>')

Then use jquery.

$('#menu a[data-extratitle!=""]').each(function(){
    $(this).prepend($("<span class='nav_extra_title'>"+$(this).data('extratitle')+"</span>"));
});
  • Like 2

Thanks for the hint using the data attribute - i have to admit i never used it before...

In the template i am using:

array ('item_tpl' => '<a href="{url}"><span class="nav_extra_title" data-extratitle="{nav_extra_title}"><span>{nav_extra_title}</span></span>{title}</a>')

the jQuery i tried is:

$('span.nav_extra_title[data-extratitle=""]').each(function(){
	alert("hjgf");
    $(this).toggleClass("kjh");
});

The script is located in a file which is loaded in the head.inc - the alert works fine ;-) - but i don't know how to change the class "nav_extra_title" to another or maybe add a class to it. I tried so many variations but it does not work...

If your doing the opposite you better just do this:

array ('item_tpl' => '<a href="{url}"><span class="nav_extra_title">{nav_extra_title}</span>{title}</a>')

Then use this to hide empty spans

$("#menu span:empty").remove();

I'm not sure, but most commonly you execute the script before dom even loaded. So if the script is like this in the header it will never work.

A technique is to execute it after dom load.

$(document).ready(function(){

// your code
});

Or short method

$(function(){

// your code
});

Otherwise I don't know.

• Like 1

Yes, i thought the same and tried it with $(document).ready(function() already - but it did not work... or to be honest, i just thought it wouldn't work...

I just inspected the source code with Safari and did not switch to the DOM tree or verified it in CSS Edit - at last both possibilities which are described above work fine!

Thanks for your help again, Soma!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Soma,

I've read through the entine thread and documentation and most things are clear. I've got one question though:

How would you add current-parent class to a parent?

For example: I am on /services/service-1/. The menu renders as following:

Home

--Services (this is the page I would like to add another class)

----Service 1 (current, which applies a current class)

----Service 2

--About

--Contact

Offcourse I can use jQuery to do this, but I was wondering if the mighty MarkupSimpleNavigation might be able to do this.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using this to get my navigation from a Projects page and below. It's perfect, looks exactly how I want it.

PW page tree:

- Home

-- Projects

--- Project type

---- Project

---- Project etc

Is there a way can I go about inserting a page from another part of the page tree at the top of the output?

Regards

Marty

Marty,

I think you could set the outer tpl to an empty string and add the ul-tags and your page manually:

<?php
$customPage = $pages->get('/.../');
echo "<ul>";
echo "<li><a href='{$customPage->url}'>{$customPage->title}</a></li>"; //Add your entry above all others
echo $modules->get('MarkupSimpleNavigation')->render(array('outer_tpl' => ''));
echo "</ul>";

Not tested and just an idea, maybe Soma has a better solution :)

Cheers

Edit: Damn I need to get some sleep NOW :blink:

• Like 1

Another would be to hand the items to the outer_tpl.

$customPage = $pages->get('/.../');
$item = "<li><a href='{$customPage->url}'>{$customPage->title}</a></li>";
echo $modules->get('MarkupSimpleNavigation')->render(array('outer_tpl' => "<ul>$item||</ul>"));

• Like 2