MarkupSimpleNavigation

Soma

Hey everybody,

this is my first post here and I hope I'm not too stupid. ;)

My site structure looks like this:

Home

About us

Concept

Contact

and so on...

My problem is the following one: My child-pages are only shown on mouse-over. The "About us" page should not be a clickable page, but only a none-clickable placeholder. Is this possible with this plugin?

Thx and greets...

Welcome DV-JF

Don't worry, you're not alone ;)

What are you using to make the menu hovers/dropdown? Bootstrap?

1. No, there no option to have placeholders.

2. You could do that with JScript (prevent click etc)

I'm playing with implementing some placeholder template option. Still have to figure out the details.

But since I don't really need it and am cautious to not add too many options, this could take a while.

• Like 1

What are you using to make the menu hovers/dropdown? Bootstrap?

Just pure CSS with some CSS3 features like opacity and transition based on Boilerplate...

I'm playing with implementing some placeholder template option. Still have to figure out the details.

But since I don't really need it and am cautious to not add too many options, this could take a while.

No, problem for me... Thx for this great module, for a beginner like me it made things much easier :)

Greets Jens.

Soma - off the top of my head you wouldn't want to do it with JS as you might only want particular drop downs to be non-click on the parent (confusing for the end-user I know, but I've seen it before!). I know it's not exactly best practise to mix and match what can and can't be clicked at the top-level of drop-downs, but people will want to be able to do it nontheless ;)

I guess one way to achieve this would be to add another field by default that's a simple tick-box that says something like "Simple Navigation Placeholder" or something that can appear on every page template by default, maybe in the Settings tab? That way it's a simple check for a tick in that box per-page when looping through the output.

If not, and we assume that there is just a module setting to make all top-level drop-downs be non-click then that could just be a simple check for that setting in the module config and loop through.

I've just realised what you mean with the JS as I'm typing this (d'oh) but I was still envisaging that behind the scenes Google could still see a URL to the top-level even if you're telling the browser for the end-user not to be able to click a top-level menu item, so I just wanted to suggest a few options you've likely already considered :D

• Like 1

I thought about this for some time and think having option to have list of templates and the code it would spit out for those pages would be good.

"x_templates" => "folder|placeholder"

"x_item_tpl" => "<span %s>{title}</span>";

"x_item_current_tpl" => "<span %s>{title}</span>";

Ok the while is over.

I just committed an update to 1.1.5 to support alternative markup for specified templates.

https://github.com/s...default-options

Added 3 new options:

"xtemplate" => "folder|placeholder", // specify one or more templates
"xitem_tpl" => "<span>{title}</span>", // default markup for page with this template
"xitem_current_tpl" => "<span>{title}</span>"
echo $nav->render(array(
   'max_levels'=>2,
   'selector'=>"limit=10",
   'xtemplates' => 'placeholder|folder'
));
  • Like 3

If you call it in template with $modules->get(..) ? It will get installed (if it's listed but not installed yet) . Would be very surprized if not.

Edit: I removed the part in the documentation as it is a general note about ProcessWire modules I think only could be confusing. I tried to rewrite it to mention more details and I screwed :D

• Like 1

You can go to PW's unofficial complementary documents for this http://php.net/manua...nction.date.php

:) thanks. But I don't know how to use php in item_tpl. Maybe I just shouldn't misuse MarkupSimpleNavigation for this

$moduleMarkupSimpleNavigation->render(array(
'selector' => "template=news-article, news_category={$newsCategory}",
'item_tpl' => '<div class="news-header"><h3 class="news-headline">{title}</h3><span class="news-date">{created}</span></div><div class="news-body">{body}</div>'), null, $page);

It works! I modified the module and added these 2 line @line 203 to output my date:

else if ($match[1] === 'created' || $match[1] === 'modified' ) {
$field_value =  date('d.m.Y', $f);
}

And now I am gonna revert these changes and stop abusing this module for my purpose. :D

No it's not possible currently as created and modified have no outputformatting. I'm not sure a fixed date format would be good, if like this the date format string would have to be another option or take it from somewhere. I'm not sure this is something many people need. One solution would be to add date_created field to template and then you would be able to format the date easily.

I totally agree with you. A fixed date format wouldn't be of much use. Thats why I already reverted my changes. I didn't thought at using a real date field. But now I already solved it using my own foreach. I was simple enough.

I think I just wanted to play with your module. It's a great module btw. Thanks for building it, Soma.

If you call it in template with $modules->get(..) ? It will get installed (if it's listed but not installed yet) . Would be very surprized if not.

It seemed to, first time I tried. Having said that, I have since uninstalled through admin and called it again through front end, and it installed itself as expected. Might have been something odd I did...

Thanks for that great module, Soma!

This makes it much easier to generate all kind of navigation without having to digg through code for hours.

Just one question:

Does the module still support the costum selectors you mentioned below?

I am trying to hide the children of a specific template, doing it for now by replacing an parameter of the options array as follows:

if ($page->template == news | $page->template == news_article) $options[max_levels] = 1;

That works fine, but would be nicer to use those costum selectors. Are they still supported? Couldn't make it work for the example above...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again...

I added some code to the 'item_active_tpl' - but somehow this is not recognized and the output for the active items does not change.

In this case it's the url segment for a multilanguage site:

'item_active_tpl' => '<a href="{url}'.$segment.'">{title}</a>', // template string for the active inner items.

Has anybody else encountered that problem or could someone maybe try to reproduce it?

I am using the latest dev branch version of PW - but i cannot say if the problem is version related, as i did not tried this in an earlier version of PW.

Thanks, Soma! Works fine now - and as i see you already changed the documentation to 'item_current_tpl' and 'xitem_current_tpl'.

Interesting nobody recognized it by now.

Well, i guess there are not soooo many reasons to use the inner templates - most people will use CSS to change the active element which is added through 'current_class' - but for the multilanguage navigation it does a great job now to add the url segment for the active item.

Thanks for your help and for that great module!

Hi all, I'm a total beginner to things like this. I understand creating fields, but not much else.

I'm trying to install this module to the template using Ryan's planet walkthrough. 

I've inserted 

$treeMenu = $modules->get("MarkupSimpleNavigation"); // load the navigation module
echo $treeMenu->render(); // render default menu

Just to see what would happen and it just prints out. Where am I supposed to put this at if not in the body of my template file?

Thanks for everything, everyone.