MarkupSimpleNavigation

Soma

Pete, i think you want to use the markup cache in PW to do simple caching to your needs.

Yeah, my original thought was to somehow make this a checkbox config option in your module to keep things really simple, but it would only be a few minutes' work to cache it in the template anyway :) Of course, if you wanted to cache it properly, say for a day or more you'd want it to rebuild the menu and re-cache it whenever a page is saved to be on the safe side, so whilst my original idea seemed simple it's actually a bit more complicated than that ;)

Hi, thanks for this module, everything work as i wanted except that

$treeMenu = $modules->get("MarkupSimpleNavigation"); // load the module

echo $treeMenu->render();

dosnt get all the pages. It shows all pages except the root page. Am im missing something or did i misunderstand something?

Simon

I just commited an update, with improvements to simplify module code.

Originally fixing an issue with "has_children" behaviour. Which now works also with custom selector (that would ommit pages by template) and max_levels as expected. It will now only append if there really is children to be shown.

Also fixed and updated some documentation.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Soma,

Thanks for this plugin. I'm just putting it through the paces, and I noticed something related to the "has_children" behavior your mentioned above.

If you specify something like:

'selector' => 'parent!=1011'

The "has_parent" class isn't appended on the first level, but deeper than that it shows back up.

For example, there's no "has_parent" appended for 1011 for:

/
/about-us/
etc...

But it does get appended for something like:

/about-us/meet-the-staff/
etc...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and need to set something differently in the options array, but from what I can tell this doesn't seem like the behavior you intended.

:)

renobird, can you give me more to chew? Code you use for the navigation, and the output? Feel free to send me pm if you don't want to post here.

I think you mean "has_children" because there's no "has_parent" :)

Hi Soma,

Sorry, meant "has_children". :)

<?php $treeMenu = $modules->get("MarkupSimpleNavigation");
$options = array(
  'parent_class' => 'parent', // string (default 'parent') overwrite class name for current parent levels
  'current_class' => 'current', // string (default 'current') overwrite current class
  'has_children_class' => 'parent', // string (default 'has_children') overwrite class name for entries with children
  'levels' => false, // bool (default false) wether to output "level-1, level-2, ..." as css class in links
  'levels_prefix' => 'level-', // bool (default 'level-') prefix string that will be used for level class
  'max_levels' => 3, // int (default null) set the max level rendered
  'firstlast' => true, // bool (default false) puts last,first class to link items
  'collapsed' => false, // bool (default false) if you want to auto-collapse the tree you set this to true
  'show_root' => true, // bool (default false) set this to true if you want to rootPage to get prepended to the menu
  'selector' => 'parent!=1011', // string (default '') define custom PW selector, you may sanitize values from user input
  'outer_tpl' => '<ul id="nav" class="clearfix">||</ul>', // template string for the outer most wrapper. || will contain entries
  'inner_tpl' => '<ul>||</ul>', // template string for inner wrappers. || will contain entries
  'list_tpl' => '<li%s>||</li>', // template string for the items. || will contain entries, %s will replaced with class="..." string
  'item_tpl' => '<a href="{url}">{title}</a>', // template string for the inner items. Use {anyfield} and {url}, i.e. {headline|title}, if field is of type image it will return url to image (first image if multiple)
  'item_current_tpl' => '<a href="{url}">{title}</a>' // template string for the current active inner items.
)
?>

Called like so:

<?=$treeMenu->render($options);?>

Let's say I have this nav structure (simplified):

home

portfolio
--project 1
--project 2
--project 3
--project 4
--project 5
etc...

about-us
--meet the staff
--history

services
--stuff we do
--more stuff we do

contact us

The "portfolio" page is the one I want to omit children from because it could have a lot of children, and the drop down menu gets too long.

'selector' => 'parent!=1011' corresponds to that page.

What happens now is that if I visit:

/portfolio/

There is no "has_children" appended.

But if I visit:

/portfolio/project-1

the "has_children" class shows up again.

Bah! I spotted it as soon as I posted this code.

My "parent_class" and "has_children_class" are set to the same thing. That's what is causing it to act like it's showing up again.

My apologies for the wild goose chase.

*Bad Renobird, Bad...*

Hah! That happens regularely including myself. :D

The behavior (if set right) I think is correct. ( After all it's surely possible I missed something while testing )

So if you ommit pages by saying "parent!=1002", the page 1002 will have no "has_children" as there's no children to be rendered in the menu.

It will only append the "has_children" class to items that really have children show up in the navigation at some point, cutting of at the max_levels or if excluded by a selector. Only side effect of it I noticed recently is if you have two navigation (top, sidebar) and set the top to max_levels 1, and render the rest of the navigation on a separate call in the sidebar. The top level won't have "has_children" class appended. But I don't know if that would make sense, needed or even possible with this apporoach. :)

Thanks Soma,

Again, apologies for the false alarm.

I do have another (hopefully legitimate) question. Is there a way to optionally suppress the href attribute on top level parent items?

Meaning, if the "has_children" class is set then the href for that top level item would be set to href="#"

A lot of times I find that the parent items are just containers for the children. So if you link to them, there really isn't a need to have anything there.

There's a great Textpattern plugin (adi_menu) that has this functionality, and I've just realized how much I use it.

I would take this route...

Make the "container" pages you're saying having a template "redirect", with only a single page field "redirect_page" with pagelistSelectMultiple input

Then have the template file code:

$session->redirect($page->redirect_page->url);

or how about "redirect-to-firstchild".

$session->redirect($page->children->first()->url);

Edit:

Another option would be to use javascript to set urls of first level to "#".

• Like 1

I've used JS to suppress those links in the past.

I've just always wondered how it effects search engine results, since the url still actually gets displayed, so the page will get crawled.

If it's set to '#", then it's basically invisible. :)

I'll explore the redirect route, I think that would solve any issue with "dead" URL's floating around.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Would there be an easy way to use MarkupSimpleNavigation and maybe something like in_array()(?) to check if an ID (that will come from a GET so we must test it) was the same as one of the pages that the navigation would normally display?

I assume one initial step would be working out if I can configure the options for MarkupSimpleNavigation so it only returns the IDs of pages (no markup) and it returns all pages one would want the public to see, the same list one would have in a sitemap.xml.

I'll take a longer look at the options the very good documentation has to see how I might do this.

Update:

Progress, this

$options = array(
//      'parent_class' => '',
//      'current_class' => '',
//      'has_children_class' => '',
       'outer_tpl' => '',
       'inner_tpl' => '',
       'list_tpl' => '',
       'item_tpl' => '{id}',
       'item_current_tpl' => '',
//        'item_current' => '{title}'
);
echo $nav->render($options);

returns only the IDs (with whitespace, dunno if that matters as regards interpreting the o/p with something like in_array(). I'll see...

Edited by alan

Glad you figured it out somehow. Yes I also thought something like this it could work getting only the ids. But this module is usually used for markup generation.

I still don't understand completely what you're trying to do though, you could try this:

$options = array(
	'outer_tpl' => '',
	'inner_tpl' => '',
	'list_tpl' => '{id} ',
	'item_tpl' => '',
	'item_current_tpl' => ''
);
$array_ids = explode(" ",trim($nav->render($options));

I still don't understand completely what you're trying to do though

:D Soma, you are in good company if you don't understand what I am doing — I am sure a lot of people feel the same; I don't understand me sometimes ;)

Joking aside, I am trying to check if an ID is for a page that is normally publicly visible or not. I plan to show a short-version permanent link to each page so if someone wants to tweet about (or email easily) a page, they can refer to:

example.com/p/1987

rather than having to refer to

example.com/animals/houses/the-squirrel-house/cheeky-the-red-squirrel-eating-some-cheese

My code uses a GET to check if a visitor has typed

example.com/p/1987

and I want the code to then check that 1987 is a valid page I want to allow sending them too, if not I will 404 or just show a message etc.

Edit: I tried your code like this:

$options = array(
			'outer_tpl' => '',
			'inner_tpl' => '',
			'list_tpl' => '{id} ',
			'item_tpl' => '',
			'item_current_tpl' => ''
);
$array_ids = explode(" ",trim($nav->render($options)));
echo $nav->render($options);

but it looks like list_tpl' => '{id} ' results in {id} {id} {id} {id} {id} {id} {id} etc being output rather than the actual ID numbers — but thank you for the clues I will keep working on it and if I solve this, repost here.

Edit 2: I typo'd, your code works (of course ;)) — thanks again for the help!

If I finish this functionality off I'd like to see if I can make it into a Module(!), but I don't want to get too excited yet, it's not even working ;)

Edited by alan

Ah so you're trying to have an id permalink to pages (shortcut). I'm not sure if this woud help but this is how I would solve it.

Normally you would setup your tree to have pages that will be in the navigation, and set pages not in navigation to hidden. From there it would just be a simple check to see if the page (id) requested is not hidden.

if(!$pages->get($id)->isHidden()) $session->redirect($pages->get($id)->url);
else $session->redirect($pages->get($config->http404PageID)->url);

Or you could add a field (checkbox) "not_permalink", and give that to templates you need. You could use it for single pages, or just the parent of a branch. So all children pages will either be shown or not.

if(!$pages->get($id)->parents->has("not_permalink=1") || $pages->get($id)->not_permalink == 0)  $session->redirect($pages->get($id)->url);
else $session->redirect($pages->get($config->http404PageID)->url);

It depend a lot how you setup you page tree and how you make them appear in your navigation, but I'm sure you'll find a very simple solution. I think it can be as simple as a 2 line code and no module would be required.

• Like 1

WoW! Thanks Soma, I thought it should be easy with the power of PWs API but my limited and the fun of trying other ways meant I was OK to try other routes such as re-purposing your cool module. Thanks again, I will try out your code here and see what I get!

OK, thanks to that code [soma, thank you] without (yet) resorting to using the "not-permalink" option (which may be the way I have to go) the only pages I seem to have problems with are ones where when I try some IDs at random (to see if I can 'break' the system) result in a URL like this and a login prompt:

http://example.com.site/pw/repeaters/for-field-107/for-page-1188/

I'm now looking to see if there is an API way to detect if an ID is 'as a result of a repeater' or 'normal' (if that even makes sense).

Since repeaters (pages) are in the admin section hidden. You could exlude them by id of the admin page.

$p = $pages->get($id);

if($p->isHidden() || $p->rootParent->id == 2)  $session->redirect($pages->get($config->http404PageID)->url) 
   else $session->redirect($p->url);;

I think if you want to exlude other branches you could try something like this.

$p = $pages->get($id);
if($p->isHidden() || $p->is("has_parent=2|10|1033")) $session->redirect($pages->get($config->http404PageID)->url);
   else $session->redirect($p->url);

NOt really tested but let me know if it doesn't work out.

:D Soma, you are in good company if you don't understand what I am doing — I am sure a lot of people feel the same; I don't understand me sometimes ;)

Joking aside, I am trying to check if an ID is for a page that is normally publicly visible or not. I plan to show a short-version permanent link to each page so if someone wants to tweet about (or email easily) a page, they can refer to:

example.com/p/1987

rather than having to refer to

example.com/animals/houses/the-squirrel-house/cheeky-the-red-squirrel-eating-some-cheese

Allen; judging from a couple of recent threads i scanned your quite hung up on providing some short/perm link functions. Ofcourse, everyone has their own requirements for certain projects but i don't see the real benefit. Twitter auto-shortens links or use bit.ly or such services. In mail, where there's no 140 lmit i would rather have descriptive url than some id based url.

Allen; judging from a couple of recent threads i scanned you're quite hung up on providing some short/perm link functions. Ofcourse, everyone has their own requirements for certain projects but i don't see the real benefit. Twitter auto-shortens links or use bit.ly or such services. In mail, where there's no 140 lmit i would rather have descriptive url than some id based url.

Allen; judging from a couple of recent threads i scanned your quite hung up on providing some short/perm link functions. Ofcourse, everyone has their own requirements for certain projects but i don't see the real benefit. Twitter auto-shortens links or use bit.ly or such services. In mail, where there's no 140 lmit i would rather have descriptive url than some id based url.

@SiNNuT you're right, I certainly am trying to solve this, but I'm not hung up on it ;) just interested in finding the answer. And I agree with you about Twitter and that perhaps this is less important now:

Now Twitter self-shortens links <- insert debate if that's good here -> what I am trying to do is perhaps less important, but I like the idea of being able to refer to a page with an alternate, ultra-short, permanent URL.

But often I will still stick to using plain-text (not HTML) email and sometimes I want a short way to refer to a URL in an email. Although this may be an edge case it's enough to make me want to explore if I can do this easily with PW.

Added to that, solving a challenge like this is not only valuable for the resulting functionality, but also it makes me learn, and as I need all the learning I can get (being a bit weak at PHP and API/jQuery style constructions) I kept trying to solve this one.

I just hope one or more of the posts in the thread end up helping someone else, either directly or in some way I had not envisaged.

And thanks for your comments about bit.ly etc, I ended up choosing the Google shortener extension in Chrome a while back after that outage from one of the shortening services. And yes, wherever appropriate I think using full URLs is the best way to go. Cheers!