wimacamp.de (website for a German BarCamp)

Nico Knoll

Nice one Nico!

I have some trouble with the nav, though. It's not the first time I see this, but linking to anchors of other pages feels very confusing to me because you skip the header. Really not the first website where I feel this way, happens from time to time and the process and reaction is always the same:

click link > have the feeling that something is missing > scroll down, see unrelated content > scroll up, find the header > "achso, i was halfway down already!"

PS: I hope you liked my "achso" there ;)

• Like 3

Nice one Nico!

I have some trouble with the nav, though. It's not the first time I see this, but linking to anchors of other pages feels very confusing to me because you skip the header. Really not the first website where I feel this way, happens from time to time and the process and reaction is always the same:

click link > have the feeling that something is missing > scroll down, see unrelated content > scroll up, find the header > "achso, i was halfway down already!"

PS: I hope you liked my "achso" there ;)

For those onload-hash-jumps, I would suggest a smooth scroll behaviour, so that the visitor can see what's going on.

To implement this "aha-effect", just wait that the page has loaded completly, scroll to 0 on x and y axis* (immediately, no tweening), get the corresponding DOM-Node (with the id or name attribute) where you want to go, get its absolute vertical and horizontal offset and animate the scroll-offset to this point.

This could let your visitors think "ahaa", instead of "achso". Or, if something fails (browser quirks, loading order problems, browsing the history back/forwards etc.) "aaaah!"... ;)

*you could skip this, if the hash doesn't match any id or name attribute in your DOM, but this would not work without js. Another could be removing the id or name attribute, before the page is loaded, but after the dom is ready.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 2

Nice and airy, thanks for sharing!

One thing I noticed is that it isn't responsive (also checked on my mobile). Is it by design?

It could be relatively easily made responsive (the site design would allow it). Of course if the target audience doesn't need that then it's unnecessary.

• Like 1