br2studio

Blank screen after installation

Hi Everyone,

I made a site on localhost and after migrating I get blank screen on frontend and backend too. Tried with a fresh copy too and after installing it I got the same problem. During installation everything looks great.

- Debug mode is true

- Tried in subfolder and then in root too.

- There are no messages in error log.

- Sessions are created in site/assets/sessions/ -> I think it's not a permission related problem and processwire could be initialized

- .htaccess is working

Any hints what could be the problem? I've worked with several ProcessWire sites and I had no this issue before, but it's the first time installing on windows server with apache.

but it's the first time installing on windows server.

Sorry you are having problems.  Here are a couple of weblinks that you should check out:  

http://windows.php.net/

http://php.iis.net/

http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

http://www.microsoft.com/web/platform/phponwindows.aspx

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/268-processwire-on-windows72008-server-with-iis-webserver/

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/766-isapi-rewrite-3-on-iis/

Edited by cstevensjr
Added website dedicated to running PHP on Windows
  • Like 1

I 've printed a PW config variable on index.php and works correctly. It's also printed on backend URL, so the routing and initializing processwire works fine.

If it's server configuration problem I think not an obvious one. We could run other systems like Concrete5 and Statamic properly on this system. But I couldn't find out what could be the problem. There is no error message, nothing more just blank pages.

blank pages, - but with what HTTP response code?

Which profile has you installed?

I'm running PW on windows with apache2, too. No problems here.

Where do you have the .htaccess file placed when running PW from root? Is it combined with other rules, or is it only the PW distributed one?

• Like 1

1. It returns with 200 response code, so everything is fine there.

2. First time when I migrated from an another host I created with Blank profile. Then I tried to install a fresh copy of the latest PW with Classic profile. Each site had same issue. I tried to install in a subfolder and then in the root too. .htaccess was not combined.

If I print a $config variable or a $pages variable in index.php(!) it works well, but templates and nothing else is loaded. For example the $page variable doesn't even exist. I think the problem is not with the Rewrite, because the variables mentioned above are printed on every url. So routing works well.

When I add wrong database details, errors messages are shown correctly, so the site is connected to the database. (+ I can print for example $pages->get(1)->title in index.php)

The site I try to migrate works everywhere excluding this server.

I have never seen this problem before. I've already built several sites with PW. And it's really strange, no error messages. just plain pages. It looks nothing else is loaded after index.php and config.php.

whats in the error logs of php and apache?

One more thing. When I run the following code:

$rootPath = dirname(__FILE__);
echo "RootPath:".$rootPath."</br>";
if(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR != '/') $rootPath = str_replace(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, '/', $rootPath);
echo "NewRootPath:".$rootPath."</br>";
echo "HTTP_HOST:".$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']."<br/>";
echo "DOCUMENT_ROOT:".$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."<br/>";
$rootURL = isset($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) ? substr($rootPath, strlen(rtrim($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], '/'))) . '/' : '/';
echo "RootURL:".$rootURL;

I got the following result:

RootPath:e:\sitename.hu
NewRootPath:e:/sitename.hu
HTTP_HOST:www.sitename.hu
DOCUMENT_ROOT:C:/webserver/html/sitename.hu
RootURL:/

Can't windows backslashes cause a problem like this?

I asked the php and apache error log from system administrator.

Not found anything in apache and php error log. But when I add $page->title to index.php I got the value of 404 Not Found page.

dirname(__FILE__) points to E:\...

and DOCUMENT_ROOT to C:\...

???

• Like 2

It is solved. The problem was the different RootPath and DOCUMENT_ROOT. I can't exactly say why it happened because we have just reported the different paths to the server administrator. But now everything works well.

Thanks to everyone for tips.

• Like 1