Migrate from Drupal to Processwire

kreativmonkey

Hi,

I read an article about Processwire in a Magazin and it sounds good. So i tested processwire and read a lot about it. Now I am sure that it is exactly what I was looking for my project. Currently, I use Drupal for my project, and before that I used WordPress. My Site has over 700 article and a lot of comments, other posttypes and (700) Users.

Now my Problem is to migrate my Data from Drupal to Processwire.

The articles were written by different users. The Comments were written by users and guasts.

How can i Migrate my Porjekt without loosing to much information?

I found this thread https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1015-switching-from-drupal-to-processwire/ but what is with the users and comments?  A lot more thinks are not transfered (post date and auhtor).

Thanks a lot for your help!

You should be able to get users out and imported as ProcessWire Users (essentially pages themselves) and the comments - there's a PW comments module so I'm reasonably sure there would be a way to import those too.

The big issue you will have is that most CMS' use different methods of encrypting their passwords, which is not a bad thing. What it does mean is that if you successfully convert your site you will probably need to get everyone to generate a new password somehow, or add a little extra code in the login routine to check the old database when someone logs in and, if it's a match, update it against the PW user (easier than it sounds, but a little coding required).

That's all possible, but probably the least of your worries as well :)

Is there any chance you can link to your current site? It would help to see visually what might pose a problem and suggest the best ways of going about certain things.

Also if you could describe the current workflow for authors that would be helpful - presumably they can only create and edit their own articles, but does someone approve them or are they simply posted by the author live to the site?

Hi Pete,

thanks for your fast answer. I have activate the comments module but i dont find any way to import the comments with my posts. My knowled about php is rudimental, but i'm currently learning it.

The big issue you will have is that most CMS' use different methods of encrypting their passwords, which is not a bad thing. What it does mean is that if you successfully convert your site you will probably need to get everyone to generate a new password somehow, or add a little extra code in the login routine to check the old database when someone logs in and, if it's a match, update it against the PW user (easier than it sounds, but a little coding required).

I already accepted the problem with the user passwords. The same problem occured when changing from WordPress to Drupal.

Also if you could describe the current workflow for authors that would be helpful - presumably they can only create and edit their own articles, but does someone approve them or are they simply posted by the author live to the site?

The users can creat and edit their own articles than the user send a request for publishing and one of the reviewer checks the article and communicate with the author over an note field. I found a solution by ryan: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/3987-cmscritic-development-case-study/?p=40168

But what is your solution for this problem?

Hear is the link to my project: http://www.mta-r.de

For comments, this thread is useful: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/7145-is-it-possible-to-add-a-comment-programmatically/

Since you're importing pages AND comments for those pages you will probably have created the new page further up in your code and saved it already.

You seem to have found all the relevant topics (well, now with the one I linked to) but if you don't know much PHP this may seem a daunting task - we're here if you have any questions though. The main things you need to learn are how your data is stored in Drupal - getting it out is probably the hardest part, putting it into ProcessWire will be easier I think and also will be an excellent learning experience in terms of the functionality in the API.

My solution for managing articles is pretty similar to Ryan's. His is more suited to your needs though I think. Once you get your data imported, you'll know enough about the API that you can create custom admin pages such as dashboards showing articles pending approval etc - that sort of thing is really easy in ProcessWire so you're limited only by how fast you can learn and your imagination :)

I'm not sure if anyone else has done a Drupal conversion recently who could help you further, but I could take a look later next week if you were willing to supply a copy of the site? It's hard to go into much more detail without seeing exactly how things are set up in the DB etc.

• Like 1