Is there a way to lock down (via role) the ability to update / publish a page live?

My client needs some people to be able to edit a page, but the page changes must be reviewed by another member of staff who have access to push the update live.

Is this possible?

Thanks

There's currently no drafting feature in ProcessWire. A page is therefore either live or not and there's always only a single version of a page to save to. 

It is possible I guess...

If you hook to page::loaded, you can get the status and cache it to a variable.

Then before pages::save you could check the status and role, when the status has changed, you could re-assign the cached status.

Thanks for responding so quick guys, I've found this discussion https://processwire.com/talk/topic/954-hide-publish-button/ but not sure it's exactly the same.

So it is possible to store the "page" (updated fields) in a state that's not live?

I'm not too clued up with exactly how processwire works, if i say anything stupid i apologise  ???

This only works as long as a page isn't live. As soon as it's published all changes to it will be published, too. A page does currently always have a single state in the database to which you save your changes. There's no second set of "draft" values.

Ah i see :/

Taking the version control module @teppo created, which adds multiple versions of fields, it may not be too hard to tweak this to create a "Draft" stage.

Would you guys agree?? it may not be that simple, but in theory it would work?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kiwi Chris
      I have a role that has page edit, view, and clone permissions on a specific template.
      If a page using the template is locked by a user in a role with lock/unlock permissions on the template , the only button alongside it in the page tree is view, for users who don't have lock/unlock permissions.
      If however, I also give the role page-lock permission on the template, they then get additional buttons, edit, copy, and unlock.
      I don't actually want to give this role unlock permissions, but I do want the copy (clone) button to display alongside the page in the page tree.
      Elsewhere, I've discussed how I've worked out how to create a hook to unlock the copy, but I want to keep the original page so a user without lock permissions can't unlock from the page tree it to make changes.
      Question: What method should I hook into to intercept any attempt to change the lock status?
    • By EyeDentify
      I have been experimenting with the new $page->meta() method and find it useful.

Once i figured out that the data i "save" with it is tied to the page where i called the method from.

So this is not obvious at least not for me in the documentation:
      https://processwire.com/api/ref/page/meta/

So i just wanted to share that revelation with the community so you don´t get as confused as i was.

Happy Coding Everyone.
    • By stanoliver
      In the new page-meta-method (https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.133/#comments) there is an example how to ouput "world". 
      Could may someone give me a snippet of code so that the output is one of the colors (red, green, blue).
    • By VeiJari
      Hello forum. I'm trying to figure out how to detect if current form has errors after saving it in pw admin page. This is so that our event location isn't added in database if we detect errors. But I can't seem to find a correct way to detect errors? I only found the wire()->errors() and it always triggers even if I don't have any errors. 
      How can I detect errors in a form?
      By error I mean $page->error('this is the red error');
    • By VeiJari
      Hello forum!
      I've yet again stumbled on a head-scratching situation. We have enabled the option on our articles template and events template that it skips the title adding part and goes straight to the form. This is what our customer wants. So when you add a new article or event it automatically names it temporary to "article-0000000" and same with event. Now the problem is that obviously after saving the form we want to change to page url or "name" to the title, like it's normally. 
      Now here's the code for the hook:
      wire()->addHookBefore("Pages::saved(template=tapahtuma|artikkeli)", function($hook) {
        $page = $hook->arguments(0);
        $newUrl = wire()->sanitizer->pageName($page->title); // give it a name used in the url for the page
        wire()->log->message($page->name);
        $page->setAndSave('name', $newUrl);
      });
      I get the correct page and the name and path changes when I log them, but when I try to save it. It just loads and then I get: 
      Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) This happens in sanitizer.php
      and then another error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

What is happening? Am I not suppose to use sanitizer in this way? When we made a temporary page object in out other hook, the sanitizer worked perfectly.
      Thanks for the help!